Animes with Villian Protagonists.

• Hi, I recently subscribed to Funimation, and I love villain protagonists when I can find the, so I'd like everyone's recommendations on animes with them. Death Note is a good examples of what I'm looking for, it's my favorite anime and Light is my favorite protagonist in part because he's a villain protagonist. A darker anti-hero might work too, but I'd like to find actual villains if possible. I'd also like avoid frontal nudity and F-bombs if possible too. Thanks everyone.

• Welcome!

A few shows that feature anti-heros/villains that I've watched include:

(Anti-Hero) Darker Than Black- A fairly dark show that features people with some type of unexplained "superpowers," if you can call them that. It follows Hei, a contract killer, on his… adventures? The anime doesn't really have an overarching plot until the last few episodes.

(Villain) Code Geass- This anime follows a wealthy student named Lelouch as he uncovers the power of the "Geass," a type of power that grants him to take over anybody's mind one time. He then tries to use this power to shape the currently very restrictive Japan (and the world) to his vision. If you liked Light from Death Note, you'll almost indefinitely like Lelouch from Code Geass (it's amazing how much they're compared).

There are many more examples than this, but those are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

• I think Fate/Zero could qualify, but its hard to say because the protagonist is hard to name, mostly because they keep switching on who they focus on. I think it has more to do with character contrasts than it does on who the lead is.

• Technically you're asking for an antagonistic protagonist, which is an oxymoron. If they are a villain, then they no longer qualify as a protagonist.

I'd recommend Madoka Magica, as Kyubei is essential tricking and manipulating the girls into tragic fates. He's not the protagonist, but he's still a main character. If you want an actual protagonist turned evil…well, just watch Madoka Magica: Rebellion all the way to the end ~_^

• There are not many shows like this. Only other one I can think of is Code Geass, but he is more of an antihero. These shows are rare because in most shows they make the main character seem like they are doing good even when they aren't. (These shows aren't exactly what you are looking for but they are all somewhat similar, Hopefully out of all these shows there is at least a few you'd like. Also sorry for the poor explanation of the shows.)

Shows available for streaming on Funimation all have dubs:

Psycho pass- about a distopian society. Its about the police in this society and how they realize their system of law is corrupt.

Future Diary- 12 people are given cellphones that foresees the future. If you kill all other cellphone users you become god. All of the cellphone users are evil in some way. (There might be an f-bomb used, I vaguely remember it being used a couple times but I might be remembering wrong. There also is a scene where a girl is naked but I don't think you see anything.)

Tokyo Ghoul: I'm sure you've probably already watched this one or at least have heard a lot about it. If you haven't its about ghouls, who are creatures that eat humans in order to survive. They are scene as evil by humans but they believe they are just trying to live and the humans are the evil ones. (I've only watched this censored so I have no idea if there is profanity or not)

Hellsing/ Hellsing Ultimate: About a vampire killing organization. To kill the vampires they use Alucard, a super strong vampire that will kill in a second when ordered to. Hellsing Ultimate is the better of the two series and you do not need to watch one to watch the other. (Disclaimer: this show has a lot of foul language and gore. Once again I do not remember the f-bomb being used but I do remember a lot of foul language so it probably was used.)

Death Parade- Once you die you go to this place that judges whether you are reincarnated or sent to the void. Each episode you have a different set of people being judged, you see inside the minds of many villainous people. Also Light makes a 2 second cameo in the show :p

Seraph of the End- This show is nothing like Death Note but the main characters believe they are heroes but in reality they are the villains, so it might interest you.

Terror in Resonance- I haven't personally watched this show but it is about Terrorists and their way of thinking when doing terrorist attacks. This show does not have a dub yet, the show is being released in January with a dub.

Shows not on Funimation:

Code Geass- Closest show to death note. About a guy who obtains a power that allows him to control anyone he wants. He uses this power to attempt to rule the world. (Buyable on DVD, and Funimation has the rights to it but hasn't rereleased it or put it up for streaming yet)

Monster- Show is about a neurosergeon who saves the life of a little boy. 9 years later the boy grows up to be a murderer and the doctor devotes his life to kill the murderer. The main character is 100% a good guy but you get a lot of backstory on the antagonist. (Sadly no legal streaming or available for hard copy in America, but it was released in Australia with English dub. I normally would not promote an anime that has no legal way of watching in america but it is a fantastic show )

Durarara- Fantastic action/ mystery series. The main character isn't a villian but he has a secret that kinda makes him seem like one. He is also friends with multiple people that are villian like. (on crunchyroll and netflix)

• @bossman12340 Thanks for the welcome! I actually just watched Darker Than Black, Hay is a good anti-hero for sure, just wished the series had focused on his view point more. Also feel like they may have shied away from the dark nature of his job a bit much. I also started watching Code Geass, but stopped after the random nudity when the girl under the covers forgot she was naked. If anyone here know how to watch it censored it'd be much appreciated as Lelouch was a great protagonist from what I watched, and what I'm looking for.

@kiraandl Thanks for all the recommendations (along with the disclaimers). I'll look into them.

@7jaws7:

Technically you're asking for an antagonistic protagonist, which is an oxymoron. If they are a villain, then they no longer qualify as a protagonist.

That's actually a common misunderstanding I've seen. The roles of protagonist and antagonist have nothing to do with good or evil. A protagonist is simply the main character something focuses - good and evil are irrelevant, even though a protagonist is usually a hero.. Again, Death Note is a good example. Light is the villain, but as the main character he's the protagonist. L is the hero, but as the main opposition to the protagonist, he's the antagonist.

• @jaz007:

I also started watching Code Geass, but stopped after the random nudity when the girl under the covers forgot she was naked. If anyone here know how to watch it censored it'd be much appreciated as Lelouch was a great protagonist from what I watched, and what I'm looking for.

For that, you would need to find someone that had recorded the censored version that was broadcast on Adult Swim years ago.

That said, if you reached the point where Villetta flashes the audience, I can't recall any further "random nudity" that you'll encounter. The only other censored scenes I can recall were a couple with Kallen, and both were earlier in the series than what you've already viewed. If someone else can recall anything afterward that I've forgotten, perhaps they can speak up.

• Since Luffy is a pirate in One piece, isn't he TECHNICALLY an antagonist? After all, the other "bad guys" are pirates as well.

• Heh, the only one I could think of right off the top of my head when I read the initial post was… The Devil is a Part Timer... which of course was a comedy... a good one though.

• @bossman12340:

Welcome!

A few shows that feature anti-heros/villains that I've watched include:

(Anti-Hero) Darker Than Black- A fairly dark show that features people with some type of unexplained "superpowers," if you can call them that. It follows Hei, a contract killer, on his… adventures? The anime doesn't really have an overarching plot until the last few episodes.

This was actually really good.

You can tell though the guy who wrote it was more familiar with things on the other side of the ball though. Hei is very much so like a Chinese operative, right down to the non official cover. They operate like this more than they let on.

• Assassination Classroom and The Devil is a Part-Timer!

• @Labyrinth2_0:

Since Luffy is a pirate in One piece, isn't he TECHNICALLY an antagonist?

As explained earlier by jaz007, no, because antagonist and protagonist do not denote villain and hero. It is just typical that the hero/good guy is also the protagonist.

Protagonist simply means the main character. Antagonist opposes the main character. Even if your protagonist is the hero it doesn't necessarily mean that an antagonist in that story will be villainous.

• @Firefly:

As explained earlier by jaz007, no, because antagonist and protagonist do not denote villain and hero. It is just typical that the hero/good guy is also the protagonist.

Protagonist simply means the main character. Antagonist opposes the main character. Even if your protagonist is the hero it doesn't necessarily mean that an antagonist in that story will be villainous.

THANK YOU finally someone understands the difference between protagonist and hero. I just get yelled at when I tell people this, its really refreshing to see I'm not the only one to learn this distinction.