Question about where to buy anime

• Okay, because I'm too lazy to try and look it up myself, I just wanted to ask on simple question:

Does funimation make more money if I were to buy from their store rather than me buying that same anime from a place like Amazon?

Reasoning: I liked an anime enough that I'm willing to buy it, depending on how much I liked it I wouldn't mind spending the extra 10$ so Funimation has more dough to work with.

Addendum: As an all-access member, it would be kind of nice if we could have a faster shipping option, similar to how Amazon does it, as a perk to being a subber. Why would I want my anime to come faster if I've already watched it? I don't know, maybe I just want to have it faster. I mean I do have amazon prime so getting two-day shipping is nice whether or not I need/want it right away, though since usually it'd be an impulse decision I would like to have my impulsed purchase asap while I still have the "urge".

• I can't answer your questions for certain, but in general there are less costs involved in buying directly from a distributor so Funimation probably makes a little bit more if you buy from them, but there are so many variable involved that the amount may be negligible. As for the shipping thing, Amazon is a giant, huge, mega retail company whose net sales for one day probably match or beat Funimation's yearly net dvd sales, and they are just a distributor so they have much less overhead than a company like Funimation does so they can afford to give a discount on shipping as a perk to members. Funimation is a small company that is specialized in a niche industry that has a major illegal pirating issue. They are probably not an unprofitable company (small companies that do not turn a profit do not usually sell for $23 million) but the cost of discounted shipping would definitely cut much deeper into their profits then Amazon's so do not count on it.

• @darthrutsula:

Okay, because I'm too lazy to try and look it up myself, I just wanted to ask on simple question:

Does funimation make more money if I were to buy from their store rather than me buying that same anime from a place like Amazon?

Reasoning: I liked an anime enough that I'm willing to buy it, depending on how much I liked it I wouldn't mind spending the extra 10$ so Funimation has more dough to work with.

Addendum: As an all-access member, it would be kind of nice if we could have a faster shipping option, similar to how Amazon does it, as a perk to being a subber. Why would I want my anime to come faster if I've already watched it? I don't know, maybe I just want to have it faster. I mean I do have amazon prime so getting two-day shipping is nice whether or not I need/want it right away, though since usually it'd be an impulse decision I would like to have my impulsed purchase asap while I still have the "urge".

If you want your purchase to go further toward FUNi, best way to do it would be to do it at a brick & mortar store (as in an actual store you walk into), especially if it's a local record, comic book or other hobby store. Doing that encourages the stores to order more, and that would lead to more potential blind buys and the spreading of what really is a niche hobby here.

• @darthrutsula:

I'm not an expert but I would think so. Generally a company would get paid to distribute through something like Amazon or vice versa where they pay for that company to distribute. My guess would be it depends on the company where Amazon may pay them for the stock and then gets most or all of the profit from the sale and someone like Wal-Mart might be the one paid to sell the product. Like I said, not an expert, this is just an educated guess. All of that being said, I would expect Funi to make more of a profit if a product were to be bought directly from their store effectively cutting out the middle man.