Any reason why Valkyrie Drive is censored?

• I know I know, they put up what they get from Japan, but this one in particular has me concerned. All the illegitimate streaming sites/torrents for this show are uncensored, which unless everyone magically has uncensoring powers at their disposal, that would make me think that it is airing in Japan uncensored in some way shape or form.

The pessimistic side of me is thinking they may have censored it themselves hence why there was a few days delay on the first episode for this, but I'd like to think otherwise. Any insight from someone more knowledgeable?

• @nigerianbucket:

Any insight from someone more knowledgeable?

This is the over-the-air version that plays on regular TV.

The uncensored version runs on subscription cable channel AT-X.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-09-06/valkyrie-drive-mermaid-tv-anime-premieres-on-october-10/.92567

• And before you ask, AT-X has exclusive rights to the uncensored version for the time being. FUNi can't get the rights to the uncensored materials until closer to the home video release.

It's the exact same situation as with High School DxD.

• So Funi WILL update to the uncensored once they can get it right? As the censoring is really poorly done and is blinding at times.
    Glad to see I am not the only one wondering what was up with it and the other sites not being censored.

Hope we can get a Funimation rep to confirm they will or will not get the uncensored version once able.

• @darkraidersd:

So Funi WILL update to the uncensored once they can get it right? As the censoring is really poorly done and is blinding at times.
    Glad to see I am not the only one wondering what was up with it and the other sites not being censored.

Hope we can get a Funimation rep to confirm they will or will not get the uncensored version once able.

They will, they've done so for every other show they've licensed that had a censored broadcast. It won't be until about a year and a half from now, when they're on the verge of shipping out the physical release, but it'll definitely be made available

• @darkraidersd:

Other sites are probably illegal.

• It's just irritating that being someone who has always bought dvd's in the past and now using sub models for viewing anime in the last 3 years, has to view an incomplete version where as the ever growing free, illegal sites/torrents are getting the versions that are complete. By incomplete I am meaning by the way it was meant to be watched. Lewdness, gore or otherwise, I'm sure blinding lens flare everywhere was not the way this was intended to be viewed.

• @darkraidersd:

So Funi WILL update to the uncensored once they can get it right? As the censoring is really poorly done and is blinding at times.

We hope. That's obviously the plan for every fanservice-type show, but on rare occasion accidents happen and a release is scuttled a few months due to bad materials. Thankfully the usual suspects for that type of issue aren't involved with Valkyrie Drive as far as I know, so the odds of it happening should be minimal.

• ^ That type of incident is extremely rare, though, and to my knowledge it has only happened to two of FUNimation's titles (Sankarea and Ben-To). Since then FUNi has taken extra special care to make absolutely sure they get the full uncensored masters for every show they license, with the exception of one scene from one particular episode of Haganai, which they chose to use the broadcast version for so they wouldn't risk certain legal issues.

• Uh huh??????????????????????

• @mikemike1:

Uh huh??????????????????????

? Uh huh what?