Dub expectancy

• How long does it take for episodes to be transitioned from one language to another? Also when does this process take place? During the season or do you wait until the season has finished?

• with the exception of Attack on Titan, they don't fully license a show when its airing, so it would be after the show has ended if they've decided to fully license the show

• It's roughly sixteen months, if you go by which shows Funimation has simulcasted and eventually released

Sankarea aired in spring of 2012, and released in fall of 2013 (18 months)
    Good Luck Girl aired in summer of 2012, and released in fall of 2013 (16 months)
    Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero aired in summer of 2012, and will release in winter 2013 (17 months)
    Jormungand season one aired in spring of 2012 and will release in winter 2014 (19 months)

In reality, the window is typically 16-19 months from broadcast/simulcast to U.S. release, at least at this point in time. But there will always be outliers of simulcasts that don't get picked up for home release, or other odd situations

• Space Dandy is a very, VERY rare exception to this rule: The dub is actually being broadcast a day or so before the Japanese airing.

Now, as to how long it'll take before we get a home media release is anyone's guess.

• @Riles:

It's roughly sixteen months, if you go by which shows Funimation has simulcasted and eventually released

Sankarea aired in spring of 2012, and released in fall of 2013 (18 months)
    Good Luck Girl aired in summer of 2012, and released in fall of 2013 (16 months)
    Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero aired in summer of 2012, and will release in winter 2013 (17 months)
    Jormungand season one aired in spring of 2012 and will release in winter 2014 (19 months)

In reality, the window is typically 16-19 months from broadcast/simulcast to U.S. release, at least at this point in time. But there will always be outliers of simulcasts that don't get picked up for home release, or other odd situations

That sounds about right, I've Got Netflix and actually just got done watching AoT, so it's probably safe to assume that since it ended the first season around September of 2013 that it won't be probably won't be until late 2014 to mid 2015 before we can expect to see it dubbed to english and that is given that it was picked up right after the license branching.I'm hoping though that the rumors of a 2nd season of AoT become a little more than rumors, I could care less about about it being dubbed, I've watched the first season and read a bit of the manga.

• Madman is expecting an early summer release for part 1 of Attack on Titan and walmart lists June 3rd for part 1, so it's very likely funi will release part 1 in the summer and then part 2 later

• What I've never gotten is how long it takes to dub an anime film. American animated films with intricate lip sync is released dubbed not long after the American release. Usually never over 6 months. Evangelion 3.33, with a lack of timed lip sync should be and is easier to dub than any American animated movie. Why does it take so long for a dub to be shown? Dubbed anime movies should be released within 1-6 months. Frozen is getting dubbed for Japanese consumption and is being released in March. That's only a mere 4 months after its American premiere. Why does anime think it is so special? Just do a simultaneous dubbed release like American animated films.

• depends on when Japanese licensors are ready and willing to negotiate and when they will allow movies to be released. we are a secondary market, so they don't really care about us that much

• So? Japan is secondary to Disney. Hell, most Disney Animation Studios films tend to have better French, German and British grosses than Japan. Japan would only be primary for Pixar movies, as it is the 2nd largest market for those movies. Dubbing/Subbing simultaneously would prevent stuff such as fansubbing. Isn't that smart? Also, by the time the film is dubbed, people would have already seen the film. The film's hype would have died out long ago. If the Japanese want to prevent illegal fansubbing, they should just allow their films to be dubbed/subbed just after the initial release.

• @schwartzwald:

So?

The Japanese don't play by US movie rules.
    So it's their movie, their rules; we play by them or game over.

• @schwartzwald:

So? Japan is secondary to Disney. Hell, most Disney Animation Studios films tend to have better French, German and British grosses than Japan. Japan would only be primary for Pixar movies, as it is the 2nd largest market for those movies. Dubbing/Subbing simultaneously would prevent stuff such as fansubbing. Isn't that smart? Also, by the time the film is dubbed, people would have already seen the film. The film's hype would have died out long ago. If the Japanese want to prevent illegal fansubbing, they should just allow their films to be dubbed/subbed just after the initial release.

Look into the fears Japan has of reverse importation and the insane prices they try to sell their anime for, fear of American fansubbers is a small issue to them (mostly fansub groups just screw over American fans).

• @St0ck:

Look into the fears Japan has of reverse importation and the insane prices they try to sell their anime for

To expand on this: Japanese buyers spend, on average, six times the amount of money a North American buyer does on a single season of anime, so a lot of Japanese companies really fear reverse importation from NA to JP because it's much, much cheaper to import than to buy it straight from Japan

• Why'd you have to explain it to him Riles… it's almost like you didn't expect him to actually look into the points he was arguing.

• actually, I've always had in mind of a dub expectancy on Saint Young Men or Saint Oniisan(if it get's quite popular or something lol) but yeah, but I don't know what y'all would think about it? any opinions?

• With the whole reverse importing snafu , would NA licensing companies not just be able to come to some arrangement to release a north american (english ) copy of whichever show with NO japanese track or subtitles included ?

• @tattooedangel:

With the whole reverse importing snafu , would NA licensing companies not just be able to come to some arrangement to release a north american (english ) copy of whichever show with NO japanese track or subtitles included ?

Sentai did that with their Persona 4 Blu-Ray release. that didn't turn out very well

• @Getchman:

Sentai did that with their Persona 4 Blu-Ray release. that didn't turn out very well

Well …. i would put more of the blame on Persona 4 being garbage as a show (In my opinion anyways) rather than language preference .

• regardless of how you feel about the show, the people who did care still raised an almighty uproar at the English only BD release of the show. doing that again would not be a wise business decision

• @tattooedangel:

Well …. i would put more of the blame on Persona 4 being garbage as a show (In my opinion anyways) rather than language preference .

Yeah no pretty sure you're wrong there.

• shrug i just buy the stuff, don't know squat about what show's did poorly for what reasons (nor do i reallly care tbh , i like what i like and the rest of the world can get on by itself) , I'm just happy to see more shows getting dub releases !!! Ben-to !!!

• The thing is that Persona 4 is doing amazing in Japan (one of the reasons Aniplex gave Sentai such a hard time with the release).
    I don't know how well the dub only release did, but if it did poorly it wasn't for lack of quality.

Also very much looking forward to Ben-to, though I just want the sub ;)