Poll: Why do you like anime?

• After being on this forum for a bit now I've gotten curious why yall like anime. At first I thought it was as simple as it's good, but it seems to be a full on fandom of the medium in a lot of cases. I'm a curious person, so I hope you don't mind me asking. Do you like it for the medium, because it's good, mostly for the medium but also because it's good, or mostly because it's good but also because of the medium?

Personally, I like it because it's as good and in several cases better than other tv shows. That may be due to the freedom of animated shows, but characters, stories, situations, etc are on par with the major American shows I watch. At least, that's my opinion.

• I guess I'd say "because it's good". I've been an animation fan my entire life and grew up watching anime, even if at the time I wasn't aware that they were Japanese cartoons. If it's good, I honestly don't care who made it or if it's western or anime or what language it's in. Anime just happens to make up the bulk of my viewing.

• Largely because its anime but I will also say its good. I've always loved watching cartoons (especially on cartoon network) but ever since my family cut the cable oh-so long ago (2008?) I haven't been able to keep up with the stuff on CN, largely because I don't know what gets on CN. Last I knew the only things on Cartoon Network was the crap live-action stuff ON A CHANNEL FOR CARTOONS. I loved Teen Titans Edd Ed n' Eddy Justice League and anything Star Wars and there were a few others like Ben 10 and Foster's Home that were ok, but then CN started doing all this live-action stuff so I eventually stopped watching.

I like cartoons and anime fits the bill, but I didn't watch my gateway anime until last year when I watched High School DxD (that's not to say I haven't watched AoT, Hellsing Ultimate, and most of Naruto, or even the god awful SAO).

Some live-action stuff is ok though like Agents of Shield, or Heroes. I tend to like shows with super-powers so….. cartoons have a lot of that because its cheaper to make those (i would imagine) than to make CG super-powers.

• I put down other: because it's fun ~_^

• @Firefly:

I guess I'd say "because it's good". I've been an animation fan my entire life and grew up watching anime, even if at the time I wasn't aware that they were Japanese cartoons. If it's good, I honestly don't care who made it or if it's western or anime or what language it's in. Anime just happens to make up the bulk of my viewing.

Interesting. I would have pegged you for a "Mostly anime, but also good" person. I'll have to disagree on the language thing for now. To quote The IT Crowd, "I can't read while I'm also trying to see things."

@darthrutsula:

Largely because its anime but I will also say its good. I've always loved watching cartoons (especially on cartoon network) but ever since my family cut the cable oh-so long ago (2008?) I haven't been able to keep up with the stuff on CN, largely because I don't know what gets on CN. Last I knew the only things on Cartoon Network was the crap live-action stuff ON A CHANNEL FOR CARTOONS. I loved Teen Titans Edd Ed n' Eddy Justice League and anything Star Wars and there were a few others like Ben 10 and Foster's Home that were ok, but then CN started doing all this live-action stuff so I eventually stopped watching.

I like cartoons and anime fits the bill, but I didn't watch my gateway anime until last year when I watched High School DxD (that's not to say I haven't watched AoT, Hellsing Ultimate, and most of Naruto, or even the god awful SAO).

Some live-action stuff is ok though like Agents of Shield, or Heroes. I tend to like shows with super-powers so….. cartoons have a lot of that because its cheaper to make those (i would imagine) than to make CG super-powers.

CN does live action now? Just like MTV… I ditched cable a while ago too. Sling, Netflix, and Funimation are plenty and cheaper.

@7jaws7:

I put down other: because it's fun ~_^

I can get with that. It's definitely fun.

• @trossk2:

To quote The IT Crowd, "I can't read while I'm also trying to see things."

I've been watching subtitles in both animation and film for many years now so they no longer bother me at all unless there's:

a) fast dialogue (see Tatami Galaxy and Monogatari, just means I have to pay even closer attention usually)
    b) grammatical errors or typos
    c) poor timing

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "liking anime because it's anime"? It seems circular to me and like it would just come back to "because I think it's good/I enjoy it" when pressed further (and then specific reasons as to why they think it's good/enjoyable). Do you mean something along the lines of the cultural impact and it being different? Because then yes, I'd say that's part of it. Ultimately it all still boils down to "I think it's good/enjoyable/fun/etc".

• I mean liking it mostly because of the attributes that are unique or somewhat unique to anime. The style of animation, the cultural influences that show out in the dialogue, the generally Japanese moral code of the characters, etc.

The more I think about it, the less clear it is to me. I guess it's story vs delivery method, which part gets you more excited.

• @trossk2:

The more I think about it, the less clear it is to me. I guess it's story vs delivery method, which part gets you more excited.

That makes it a little more clear to me, so thank you.

Those unique aspects of anime do contribute to parts of why I like anime (since they are part of what makes anime anime), but that's what I see them as, parts of the whole with the core reason being that anime tells good stories that feature characters I can relate to or otherwise enjoy watching. The Japanese elements just add to the fun.

• cause anime has intesting stories and good characters that keep me watching usally as atleast a decent lv of character devolpment too and the main reason is cause anime love is no difrent then a love for some great art master piece and we will like what we like to hell with all them haters out there

• wow i am the only one to vote my way right now…
    I like it because its good, doesn't matter whether its anime or not really. I am a fan of art and especially because a few years ago as a high school senior I had these two classes one an English class and the other was a retake of intro to art (despite the fact i already had taken it and some other art classes). the teacher of my first intro to art taught me nothing and put 80% of the class influence on making art which i cannot do for my life (my stick figures commit suicide) . the second teacher i had for the class put 80% on the aesthetics, critique and valuing of art. more intellectual based. the English teacher i had changed my view of how i see everything from movie, to books, to shows and video games etc. He explained that everything that has ever been conceived and brought forth for entertainment or studious practicality is a form of text they all convey a message and they all have a purpose. as the reader/viewer/etc its your job to interpret that version of text and appreciate it for its value and the effort put into its creation. I see anime as a seamless mix between these two philosophies i learned. i will probably watch it till i die because it has a complete package for me to enjoy.

edit: Trashed again while writing...
    functional drunk potsmoker
    dont judge my intelligence by my writing ability on a forum while i am in such a state. lol

• i started to like anime from watching star blazers as a kid, you have this thing in anime called a story ark which was quit different from other cartoons.
    then i would have to say it was cowboy bebop that really sold me on anime, when have you in any network tv shows ( not counting soap operas) would you have a show end like that :(