Does our Subscription to Funi help the Anime Industry in Japan?

• So I don't know if you guys remember, but when we signed up for a subscription to Funimation, one of the things it said was that the subscription fee helps the Anime Industry. Is this really true? Is there any verification to this? I signed up for an All Access Pass. And it was like 50 bucks or something. It would just be cool to know if my small contribution was actually helping out in some way. :3

• yeah, some of the that money is surely part of the various licensing fees funi pays when they get shows

• @Getchman:

yeah, some of the that money is surely part of the various licensing fees funi pays when they get shows

This. FUNimation probably pays a certain amount when they license a show - probably some monies for streaming rights, possibly more for dubbing rights, and then there's home video rights.

By subscribing or buying BD/DVD releases, you are giving FUNimation your money - which they in turn spend to keep getting their hands on some amazing series. SO yes, if you give your monies to FUNi, it is technically helping the industry over there - just not as directly as purchasing a Japanese release (or release from a company that is literally a branch of the Japanese HQ, such as Aniplex.)

• Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Yes but not as much as DVD/Blu-ray sales

The sub helps Funi have money which they use to license more shows, pay people to Dub the shows, maintain fees for shows they have had a while, and invest in making cool sets.

IIRC Funi will base a lot of it's decision to continue to license long running shows (Such as Case Closed) off of DVD/BR sales as these are more tangable and …. make them more money? (I can't back that up I literally have no idea)

I just know that lack of sales saw the demise of some good shows in the past.

• @priestesstyrande:

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Yes but not as much as DVD/Blu-ray sales

The sub helps Funi have money which they use to license more shows, pay people to Dub the shows, maintain fees for shows they have had a while, and invest in making cool sets.

IIRC Funi will base a lot of it's decision to continue to license long running shows (Such as Case Closed) off of DVD/BR sales as these are more tangable and …. make them more money? (I can't back that up I literally have no idea)

I just know that lack of sales saw the demise of some good shows in the past.

Cased Closed wasn't around with the streaming option (pretty sure,)then again I suppose Toriko stopped for now,

• @jjfriday:

Cased Closed wasn't around with the streaming option (pretty sure,)then again I suppose Toriko stopped for now,

Oh yeah I know, It is just an example of something that was stopped because of poor sales….though probably a bad example! haha

• Of course it does. Do you think Japanese anime companies just let US companies like Funimation use their products for free? No, they charge for it, and they should. It takes a lot of time for authors to write stories, and if we fans want authors to continue to write stories to entertain us we owe it to them to make sure that they can make a living doing so. It is even more expensive and time/resource intensive to produce an anime. Now, as for how much do Japanese anime producers make off of anime in America? The answer is not much. It generally costs about 2 million USD to make an anime. An anime producer can generally expect to net about 50-100k USD for making an anime available to US audiences, usually not enough to cover the cost of a single episode, and it usually takes years (because a major source of profits is a percentage of BD/DVD sales) to recoup this. There is a common misconception that Japanese anime companies do not care about foreign consumers. That is just not true. If foreign sales pushed an anime enough into the green, they would take that into account. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case. The moral here is that if you really love an anime, shell out the 30-40 USD and buy the BD/DVD. It will help increase the chances of a new season of your favorite anime. Not much, but certainly more than a petition with thousands of signatures from people who likely never spent a single penny to support said anime but think they are entitled to demand an author and anime company spent hundreds of man hours and millions of dollars to entertain them with no realistic hope of recouping the cost.

• Yes, it does indeed. ^_^

We pay an advance and your views go towards royalty fees, which are paid to our Japanese licensors.

• Money spent through subscriptions and product sales always benefit the company that produced the product. No company is going to turn down a new stream of revenue. I subscribe because I want to see Funimation license more anime. Which hopefully allows more anime to be produced. To me it is money well spent.