The GamerGate quip in Episode 7 isn't gonna fly too well

• Just giving fair warning. People are already pissed off about it.
    Especially since it wasn't in the original script.

• Yep. Looks like Funi forgot where their bread was buttered. I can tell you it's NOT the perpetually offended twitter SJWs who buy their BluRays, especially not for a show like THIS, full of things they hate.

If I were them, I'd find that the translator that slipped that line in and have a nice long chat about why they shouldn't do that again and who their actual audience is.

• I just listened to the line in question.

What many may not know, however, is that FUNimation already mocked Social Justice Warriors earlier in an episode of Ultimate Otaku Teacher.

That tells me that FUNi isn't really on one side or the other. What they seem to be doing, rather, is throwing in references to current hot button topics in order to make their dubs come across more "edgy".

On one hand, this will illicit a laugh or two from a few viewers for now. On the other hand, these kinds of jokes and references horribly date the material, so that in 10 years no one will even get the joke, much less find it edgy or amusing.

But no, before ANYONE gets the idea that FUNimation is "pro-this" or "anti-that", let me say right now that we are NOT going to get into another SJW/GamerGate debate on these forums.

So don't even try. -_-

• It doesn't matter what your intentions are. It's about of the box now and people will perceive it how they want.

You don't have to worry about lost sales to SJWs.
    You do have to worry about potentially insulting your current audience who you actively want to buy your stuff though. And Gaming/Anime does tend to go together with a lot of cross-over

• If GamerGaters can't learn to laugh at themselves just a little bit at this point, then it's their loss.

For a movement that's apparently so "anti-PC", they sure are easily offended. :hmm:

• Maybe Funi will finally learn that inserting dank memes and American pop culture references in dubs is never ever ever EVER a good idea.

And, seriously? Gamergate? GAMERGATE has enough pop cultural clout to warrant a reference like that? I doubt 95% of people even know what Gamergate is.

Also agree with Spaceman that these jokes will date the dub horribly. Hell, I'd say it's a dated joke NOW.

• It was dated the moment Kiyoshi said "Move over, Jayoncé" back in episode 5, so I'm not sure why people would choose THIS episode to complain about the script

Wait I know why, it's because people who support Gamer Gate can't handle jokes about it and otherwise don't care about throwaway references in a script

I'd say the same about hyper-supporters of the SJW movement, but I'm not sure anyone actually cared enough about Ultimate Otaku Teacher to even hear the throwaway line about SJWs in there, so I can't say for sure

@AppleboxProd:

I doubt 95% of people even know what Gamergate is.

I'd wager 95% of people watching a simuldub of Prison School will know what Gamer Gate is

• @SpacemanHardy:

If GamerGaters can't learn to laugh at themselves just a little bit at this point, then it's their loss.

For a movement that's apparently so "anti-PC", they sure are easily offended. :hmm:

Everyone is all about freedom of speech; until they hear a contrary opinion. Funny how that works.

Aside from that, all I have to say is, well, I'll just let Melona express my sentiments on this whole thing regarding both sides of this "war" from when it started:

• I don't personally care either way. I'm only involved here because I was asked to verify the dub was legit (which I did).

I've seen people sperg out about it, and I've seen people say its a good thing.

I don't really care either way, I'm just a twitter shitposter.

• Alright before we do this…people do realize that Broadcast Dubs script can or will change later down the road for the initial final recording and DVD/Blu-Ray release of said show right? Worse case scenario it gets changed.

Alright, now......excuse me while I proceed to scream.

Hardy if anything in this post needs to be censored or changed please do so as you see fit. I'm doing this one take.

HOLY SHIT WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Why did we get back into this? Fing why? It's nothing to support GamerGate. It's just a buzzword scripting choice. That's it. It's fing nothing. Literally f***ing nothing.

Was it awkward yes, but as you already stated Hardy, it's basically nothing that I am now angry that this is going to become RELEVANT again and start this bullshit once more. Besides they're not even doing it to show support to any side.

If they REALLY want to support Anti-GG or whatever the f*** its called, you think they'd put that line of dialogue in PRISON SCHOOL of ALL SHOWS?!?!??!?!?!? It's just a quick buzzword that as stated in the past can and could easily be changed for the final release. That's it. That's all it ever will be. I really hope this will be the last I hear of this but…...I'm probably being f***ing naive.

EDIT: F-bombs blocked as you requested. :3 -SH

• I think that dated jokes are a good thing because when you are watching it in the future you can remember what the hot-button topics were, and I think its good that media companies like Funimation are willing to poke fun at things like gamergate. And sometimes I feel that dated jokes can still work, blast processing anyone?

• I sincerely hope that, however many years from now, that a gamergate reference is considered dated, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

• @darthrutsula:

I think that dated jokes are a good thing because when you are watching it in the future you can remember what the hot-button topics were, and I think its good that media companies like Funimation are willing to poke fun at things like gamergate.

Going to heartily disagree with you on that one. We can go back to shows like South Park to see what the "hot-button topics" of the past were. This sort of thing has no place in an anime dub. Not to be melodramatic, but it really is screwing with the original artistic intention.

And companies like Funimation should not be expressing opinions on political or social issues unless the show they are translating specifically deals with political or social issues. They are not satirists, they're an anime licensing company.

@Riles:

I'd wager 95% of people watching a simuldub of Prison School will know what Gamer Gate is

Maaayyybe, but Funimation does eventually want to reach a broader audience than us Internet weirdos, right?

• @SpacemanHardy:

If GamerGaters can't learn to laugh at themselves just a little bit at this point, then it's their loss.

Coming from someone who's spent the last year with this stuff and made more than enough contributions to the dank meme factory, I can tell you we laugh at ourselves plenty. I'm not offended they said "Gamergate creepshows." I've dealt with way worse than that. I'm not here to "Defend the honor of GG." In fact, if this was just a regular tv show I'd be laughing like I did with the SVU episode due to how big of boogiemen they've made us.

Believe me, Funimation putting a joke like this in a show where its audience is likely to feel the exact opposite is the least of the problems here.

My problem with this has nothing to do with GG. What bugs me, and what should bug you and everyone else here, is that this is a big and unnecessary change from the original source material. When dubbing something, naturally some things are going to change. English and Japanese are too different for that not to be the case. Sentence structure, wording, slang, all of these things change in between versions. This is basic localization. Even things like obscure idioms and such likely should be changed to something analogous as well. But that's not what happened here.

The first problem with completely going off script was the joke wasn't funny. It was the lowest form of referential humor: just saying the name. In addition to not being funny, it's also based on something extremely niche that will go over most people's heads, and will only become more baffling and dumb as time goes on, dating themselves in the worst way. These reasons alone make the line a really stupid decision.

The worst part, though, is that it was politically motivated. That's pretty much crystal clear. Someone wanted to make a GamerGate jab, so they made one, because they personally dislike it. A translator intentionally did their job badly so they could inject their own personal politics into something that has no business playing host to them. That's my problem. And yes, if someone had, say, taken a dig at Anita Sarkeesian instead, I'd be just as unhappy. I don't watch dubs to see the politics and opinions of the translators.

This is supposed to be the most accurate representation of the Japanese source material as possible while still in the English language. Any change this significant should be avoided at all costs unless absolutely necessary. That's what localization is, what places like Funimation should strive for.

• I just wanted to state once more that if this thread turns into yet another SJW vs. GG thread, I will lock it up tighter than Ft. Knox's buttcrack.

Do I make myself clear?

@drchristmas:

massive wall-o-text

Good grief, I could practice my racquetball game on that monstrosity. O.o

Regardless, it seems to me that you need to aim your frustrations not at FUNi as a whole, but rather at Tyson Rinehart and Jamie Marchi, as they are the ones writing the adaptive script for the show.

As for me? It really matters not whether the show is "faithful" to the original script or not. As long as I'm thoroughly entertained (and so far, with Prison School's dub, I most certainly am), then who gives a flyin' fark?

Dirty jokes that differ from the source material? Those are okay in my book, as long as I can get a laugh out of them. But dated references that are only funny when you hear them during the time period to which they are relevant? That's another matter entirely.

I mean, hell, if every dub director was completely faithful to the original author's intent, we wouldn't be blessed with such gems as the Ghost Stories dub.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I mean, hell, if every dub director was completely faithful to the original author's intent, we wouldn't be blessed with such gems as the Ghost Stories dub.

Ghost Stories was a special case, though. They were basically told: "Here's this crappy anime. So something to make it sell." So instead of doing a regular dub, they basically did the first Abridged Series. Also, sadly, I don't think anyone could get away with the jokes made in that dub ever again, which is a damn shame.

And yes, I'm okay with a few changes here and there to make jokes land. For instance,the Highschool DxD dub is a really good example of a show that does that well. As I said, the biggest problem was the political motivation.

• I don't understand why you'd want the English version to be as close to the Japanese version as possible. It's unbelievably boring and offers no replay value. For better or for worse, an English script offers a different take on the story, and the differences in script alone are enough to warrant a second watch

I've noticed the vast majority of people who complain about English liberties have no intention of watching dubs anyway (usually followed up with common fun facts such as how Japanese seiyuu are so much more emotional than English VAs), so I guess it doesn't really matter if they complain either way

• This post is deleted!

• I've had a while to stew on this so I'll just say this much.

I think the main reason people would get upset with the reference is not the reference itself. But what it infers about the type of person associated with it. People have spent the better part of the past year being called all kinds of things, being maligned in the press and even on TV.

Then along comes someones idea of a snarky joke, where the underlying implication is that they are an typical sexual pervert, whose only interest in girls is coming across them in an arcade (or other game settings) and sexually objectifying them when they do – Just like all members of said group. That is not parody, that is dangerously close to sounding like an attack / opinion.

Parody is meant to take something innocuous and lampoon it to the point of absurdity, perhaps making a social commentary in the process. All this joke did was repeat the message GamerGate's attackers have been repeating for the past 12 months. The point of parody is it being based on some little kernel of truth somewhere. This joke was nowhere near parody.

As far as Ghost Stories, that is not even remotely the same situation. Ghost Stories was dubbed with the knowledge of everyone involved and later received approval from the licensor IIRC.

As far as who to "go after" instead of Funimation, well - no. You go after Funimation. Those are Funimation employees making decisions on Funimation's dime, representing Funimation as a company in a professional setting. Somebody from Funimation signed off on that script, so that's who you go after. Whether other people are gotten-after internally is neither here nor there. Whether its even worth bothering with only time will tell.

That's my take.

• When it comes down to it, all that happened is that Marchi made an awkward throwaway joke that might just be dated by the time the show is on home video. I did get a chuckle out of it because it was so random and surprising, but it doesn't change the fact the line is wrong in so many ways.

It's on par with the Sarah Palin line in High School of the Dead (or really, Steven Foster's writing as a whole) and almost as bad as the Nazi jokes in the otherwise great dub of Hetalia.

But at the end of the day, that's all it is: a bad line. It's gonna be the sensation of the week but then everyone will stop caring. Though I must say I find it hilarious that GG acts as if Funimation is giving them more attention when it's really the opposite; no one outside of them care all that much about the line (beyond thinking it's stupid) and quite a few people on their side didn't even cared for Prison School or anime as a whole before the ''incident''.

@SpacemanHardy:

Also this. A thousand times this.

• Apparently there were two throwaway jokes in the episode. One was the Gamer Gate one, and the other was something like "you're sweaty like a whore in church"

Either one is applicable for the sake of dub posterity, but for some reason, the Internet only used the GG one as an example for keeping dubs faithful to the original, because the GG one was the only one they care about

Come on, guys. It's okay to point out what actually bothers you if you're going to be this vocal about it. The problem is that GG was used as the butt of a joke, it's okay to say as much

EDIT: People complaining about dating a script also makes me laugh, since as I said before, an earlier episode name-dropped Jayoncé, but nobody seemed to care enough to complain about dating a script until a Gamer Gate one showed up. It's okay to be honest about what bothers you!