Any news on the Dragon ball Z blu rays?

• I saw this up on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Dragonball-Z-Season-1-Blu-ray/dp/B00F9IB1M4/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_d_1 any word on an official announcement from Funimation or any release details.

• I don't think Funi ever put out a press release, but it's pretty official.

• Ah, we can post again?

Description via AAA Distribution:

The Saiyans are coming! These ruthless, intergalactic villains carved a path of destruction across the galaxy, and now they're headed for Earth! The evil Saiyan warlord Vegeta will not rest until he's seized the wish-granting powers of the Dragon Balls for himself!
    For the first time ever, the Dragon Ball Z season sets are available on Blu-ray! This epic collection presents the first thirty-nine episodes of the legendary series in remastered, high definition quality and 16:9 aspect ratio using frame by frame, pan and scran technology. An elite team of Capsule Corp. scientists worked around the clock to put the greatest anime in history on the cutting edge of modern technology. You may think you've seen all there is to see in the DBZ universe, but you're wrong. Take home this thirty-nine episode collection today, and fire your next Kamehameha in the brilliance of Blu-ray!

Here is the listing on Rightstuf:
    http://www.rightstuf.com/i/fun01551

• I heard those blurays were just the orange bricks upscaled. So if that is true then make sure you know that before buying them.

• I would like to read some nice technical explanation about why 16:9 AR was chosen. Why cropping original aspect ratio and deleting 25% of the frame that was meant to be seen is marketed as a "new technology"?

What is the real reason of doing this? I only need an honest and logical explanation.

• Yes I would like an explanation to about the aspect ratio. Heads will be chopped off. I know the majority of the fan base asked for 4/3 so why even ask the ? FUNi ?

• Many people would like to know if the anime will be in 4/3 or altered by cropping in 16/9 on new bluray sets.
    Your response is crucial for some. Thanks.

• @Kojiro:

I would like to read some nice technical explanation about why 16:9 AR was chosen. Why cropping original aspect ratio and deleting 25% of the frame that was meant to be seen is marketed as a "new technology"?

What is the real reason of doing this? I only need an honest and logical explanation.

Funi had a survey about DBZ on Blu-ray a while back. I can only assume that a majority responses indicated that more people preferred a 16:9 presentation over the original 4:3 frame, or just didn't care.

The hardcore fanbase may prefer the original presentation, but casual viewers don't care about that, and just want their wide screens filled with energy blasts (and don't know you can do this yourself on your TV without affecting the on-disc content).

Basically, these sets are more aimed at the crowd who will pick these up on a whim at Walmart, not the people who'd be buying this from their online anime boutique of choice.

• I prefer 4\3 istead of 16\9 because I wast Dragonball Z presented in it's original aspect ratio. I took that survey are explained my preferences for 4\3.

However, I would be fine with 16\9 if they used selective cropping for each frame like Toei did for Kai. The results look better manually done rather than just digitally removing the top and bottom.

• This post is deleted!

• @EyeOfPain:

Funi had a survey about DBZ on Blu-ray a while back. I can only assume that a majority responses indicated that more people preferred a 16:9 presentation over the original 4:3 frame, or just didn't care.

The hardcore fanbase may prefer the original presentation, but casual viewers don't care about that, and just want their wide screens filled with energy blasts (and don't know you can do this yourself on your TV without affecting the on-disc content).

Basically, these sets are more aimed at the crowd who will pick these up on a whim at Walmart, not the people who'd be buying this from their online anime boutique of choice.

The majority of responses come from the hardcore fanbase. Therefore, the 4/3 ratio was unanimous. I can only assume that.

• The Level sets were as close to perfection for DBZ from Funimation yet, great detail, color levels, etc; and 4/3 frame. It'd be a shame if these are anything less than that quality.

• Last I had heard, nothing 'definitive' had really been said about these sets, other than what information retail sites are listing. Hopefully FUNi will offer some more official clarification on exactly what we're getting on these - namely, how the cropping was done and how good it will or won't look - soon. I'm betting we'll get a trailer pretty soon too.

• @EyeOfPain:

Why the results of the survey weren't shown to the public? I would like to see these numbers.
    @Gyt:

Hopefully FUNi will offer some more official clarification on exactly what we're getting on these - namely, how the cropping was done and how good it will or won't look - soon.

If the show isn't presented as it was meant to be, it cannot look good. That's why I'm asking for explanation.

• The description provided to AAA states that is is 16:9 pan and scan, and suggests that the cropping was done manually frame-by-frame.
    The point of Pan and Scan, which was used for widescreen movies for years, is that you centre on the most important part of the frame to ensure nothing important is cut out, rather than just cropping both sides of every frame.

• Come on Funi! Give us information please !

• @Kojiro:

Why the results of the survey weren't shown to the public? I would like to see these numbers.

Industry survey results generally aren't made public, especially in anime. If it had been shown that a survey about DBZ got x results, and a survey about another show got y responses, it could affect negotiations for that franchise.

• Same thing I said martinrock. The majority of the fan base are hardcore fans.

• @EyeOfPain:

Industry survey results generally aren't made public, especially in anime. If it had been shown that a survey about DBZ got x results, and a survey about another show got y responses, it could affect negotiations for that franchise.

20% for 16 : 9, 80% for 4 : 3 - what it can affect?

I think that most of the fans wanted 4 : 3 AR. I can take random episode and make 100 shots that cannot be properly cropped to 16:9. The show was animated with 4 : 3 presentation in mind. Entire frame contains key information.

I'm waiting for some good explanation.

• Odd, my first post in this thread is gone now. Forum must have ate it.

@Kojiro:

I would imagine it's because its' a business survey. It's not meant for people outside of FUNimation and it's business partners, perhaps, to see.

@Kojiro:

If the show isn't presented as it was meant to be, it cannot look good. That's why I'm asking for explanation.

I meant 'look good' in regards to the actual quality of the footage, not in regards to any aspect snafus. Something's footage can still look good regardless of it's aspect ratio, though perhaps not as good as it should. And as far as 'meant to be' goes, considering this is a show from back before DVD even, it wasn't really 'meant' for anything higher than VHS to begin with, if that. Technically speaking, I mean.

• Yes your right its an old anime and it wasn't even in peoples minds to put it on DVD back then, but the fact of the matter is if they are going to do a good restoration to put on DVD then do it the right freaking way.