Why is nothing being done to fix the colors of video streams?

• This has gone on long enough

Video streams are still displaying in the wrong colour range. This is not a mere bug that only affects a small portion of people. This is a problem for everyone and every show, but nobody seems to care.

This problem is easy to illustrate with Seiyu's Life, a show currently airing which confirms the problem still has not been fixed.

This is what all Funimation streaming players will show you:
    http://i.imgur.com/TJZdRMW.jpg

This is how it's supposed to look:
    http://i.imgur.com/kKX1B2F.jpg

It's been going on for years but still has not been fixed. Bug reports have done nothing.

I want to see a fix for this, because it's ruining every single show being streamed.

• Agreed. It's been going on for so long and it's weird that no fix has been made yet. I don't think it's that difficult to keep the color range as is. It's odd that the streams have their color range expanded from TV Levels to PC Levels. Maybe the stream encodes are automated and it's just a problem with their script. Other than that, I like how their Blu-ray releases have been improving (or so it seems). The Attack on Titan release has the correct color range. Its brightness is surprisingly unaltered and it looks pretty good despite the huge 15,000-16,000 kbps bit rate difference from the Japanese release.

• So only one other person cares about this issue?

Everyone post your thoughts on this and maybe Funimation will take note of it eventually.

• While I commonly stick with Blu-rays, I can admit that's a serious issue, and should be addressed or, preferably, fixed by FUNimation as soon as possible.

• Squints

Mmm I guess I can see the difference. I must never have noticed this in any of the shows I watch. Or I just never did a compairison to see if it even exsists with them.

• @marth_koopa:

So only one other person cares about this issue?

shrug

It doesn't affect my viewing experience in the slightest. Maybe if streaming was a medium I cared about visually, like Blu-Rays, but I don't, so I don't

• Meh. :hmm:

• @priestesstyrande:

Mmm I guess I can see the difference. I must never have noticed this in any of the shows I watch. Or I just never did a compairison to see if it even exsists with them.

The severity of the issue does vary, since different shows make use of different colouring. Only the extreme ends of light and dark colours would be noticeable without a comparison.

Here's an example of darker colours, and how the expanded colour range crushes them.

http://i.imgur.com/thiYbxd.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/FtazDhf.jpg

There is a complete loss of detail on the right half and in most of the non-bespectacled lady's hair. Most people wouldn't notice or care, since it isn't unpleasant. However in shows where skin tones become expanded into very pale ranges, it is unpleasant, and it's not what the animators intended for their audience.

Here's how it affects D-Frag:
    Wrong: http://i.imgur.com/oWUtW9i.jpg
    Corrected: http://i.imgur.com/mGjD6Cc.jpg

Skin and hair tones both look significantly better in the corrected version.

@Riles:

It doesn't affect my viewing experience in the slightest. Maybe if streaming was a medium I cared about visually, like Blu-Rays, but I don't, so I don't

But, given the corrected colours, you would certainly choose them over the broken ones, yes?

• @marth_koopa:

But, given the corrected colours, you would certainly choose them over the broken ones, yes?

Honestly Marth, the average anime watcher will probably never even notice a difference until you bring it up. :hmm:

• @marth_koopa:

http://i.imgur.com/thiYbxd.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/FtazDhf.jpg

There is a complete loss of detail on the right half and in most of the non-bespectacled lady's hair. Most people wouldn't notice or care, since it isn't unpleasant. However in shows where skin tones become expanded into very pale ranges, it is unpleasant, and it's not what the animators intended for their audience.

See, now it is a bit more noticible in the area around her hair like you mention because it is blended with all of the dark colors. But to be honest it is not something I would notice unless specifically looking for it. (I had to flip back and forth a few times to notice as my senses are not all that sharp to begin with because of reasons hahaha)

I understand where you are coming from, and if you feel its a problem would stand by you in agreeing to get it fixed but for me personally it doesn't affect me enough to care.

….. now I feel bad like I am a poor fan of Anime or something :(

• @marth_koopa:

I mean, sure

But there's a ton of other things to fix/improve before correcting something this minor

• @priestesstyrande:

now I feel bad like I am a poor fan of Anime or something :(

Don't feel bad. It doesn't mean that you're a poor fan; it means that you're a completely average human being who is able to watch something and enjoy it without nitpicking over every tiny little insignificant detail. :)

• @SpacemanHardy:

Don't feel bad. It doesn't mean that you're a poor fan; it means that you're a completely average human being who is able to watch something and enjoy it without nitpicking over every tiny little insignificant detail.

Well in that case HOW DARE I?!

:)

• @marth_koopa:

So only one other person cares about this issue?

Everyone post your thoughts on this and maybe Funimation will take note of it eventually.

Most people don't even notice, especially since they rarely see the corrected version. Unfortunately most R1-centric anime fans don't understand or care about certain issues. I mean gawd, you have people that defend Sailor Moon's video quality, or the whole Senran Kagura disaster (FUNi somehow didn't know they didn't have the OVA's until the last minute, and did false advertising). There's also people that will defend bad Sentai Blu-rays, including the worst of the worst like Penguindrum. They simply have very low standards.

I do care a bit about this issue, but it's one I forget about, and I don't notice very often unless I see comparisons. Though this confirmed my suspicions they messed up Seiyu's Life as it looked similar to Yuki-chan which also looked like it was almost suffering from white crush, which was also confirmed to me when I saw a comparison. I'm surprised Overlord has issues too, and appears to suffer from black crush thanks to this.

It is something I do hope they fix, along with their subtitles. Their Seraph of the End simulcast subtitles for example were suffering. "Human race was annihilated?" "Yu, I'll revenge them for you." Those two lines should tell you how bad the rest of them are. They even a while back messed up a Death Note parody in No-Rin. "Just like a plan."

• @BigOnAnime:

It is something I do hope they fix, along with their subtitles. Their Seraph of the End simulcast subtitles for example were suffering. "Human race was annihilated?" "Yu, I'll revenge them for you." Those two lines should tell you how bad the rest of them are. They even a while back messed up a Death Note parody in No-Rin. "Just like a plan."

It's hard to simulcast shows, its pretty easy to mess up a line here and there. When the shows get released on DVD I assume those subtitles will be fixed.

• A while ago I noticed this but thought it was just the show, I honestly never noticed it since that one time. Kinda sucks but I doubt funimation is gonna do anything about it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

tiny little insignificant detail

@Riles:

correcting something this minor

Having terrible picture quality isn't a "minor, insignificant" issue.

It is certainly NOT nitpicking to want shows to look how they are supposed to.

It's such an easy fix, and everyone would benefit from it whether they care or not.

• I certainly never noticed anything, and I suspect most people wouldn't notice any difference in picture quality unless you show the images side-by-side, so I'm not sure how it qualifies as terrible

Like I said, there are more important things to improve or fix, like poor sub quality or product delays, before they fix an issue that I most likely wouldn't even notice when they fixed it

• Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse to let poor quality stay, and this is such an easy fix it would take practically no time away from other issues.

@Riles:

more important things

I do not agree with this. This issue IS the most important thing because it makes every show look horrible.

A few typos in subtitles are nowhere near as significant, and product delays are a much more difficult thing to deal with than simply fixing a few lines of code (as well as being a completely different branch of issues that people in charge of video/web most likely have no hand in)

• @marth_koopa:

This issue IS the most important thing because it makes every show look horrible.

"Horrible" is really in the eye of the beholder, though. If anything, the only difference is it makes things a tad bit brighter.

If the video quality really was as awful as you claim it to be, then trust me, more people would have complained about it. Most of the people here honestly can't tell the difference, and probably wouldn't care even if they could.

• @SpacemanHardy:

"Horrible" is really in the eye of the beholder, though. If anything, the only difference is it makes things a tad bit brighter.

It's not just things being brighter. It's not what the animators intended to be seen and there is an incredible loss of detail in every scene.

This isn't like turning the brightness setting up on your display 10-20 points. It's expanding the colour range to something where every single pixel is wrong, with the highest/lowest values getting the worst of it.

When I can't see much detail in a dark scene, there's a problem.
    When the characters look sickeningly pale, there's a SERIOUS problem.

@SpacemanHardy:

If the video quality really was as awful as you claim it to be, then trust me, more people would have complained about it. Most of the people here honestly can't tell the difference, and probably wouldn't care even if they could.

Again, ignorance should never be an excuse to let poor quality stay. The main reason I made this topic was to bring awareness to this issue and possibly get enough people to create a buzz about it to get the attention of those who can fix it. But so far it seems I'm not able to convince anyone this is worth fixing, and that's rather baffling.

I don't know why you would want to defend this issue when the solution is incredibly easy and the thousands of people who subscribe to Funimation's streaming service would be receiving a significantly improved product.

I'll ask this question again: Given the choice, would you accept the corrected colours or stay with how it is now?