Free! -Eternal Summer- Delayed; Why?

• http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop_Filter.ss?filterbyshow=407&scategory=534836&sortbyvalue=5&stype=23&sf=sf#

All 3 releases have had their Blu-ray release dates pulled recently.

What could be causing this?

• This is a rather alarming matter, considering the set was supposed to be released in just a few weeks. If it was just a pushed back date, it would be one thing, but having them delayed indefinitely is something else entirely.

Hopefully it's not due to issues with the licensor. Pony Canyon has been going on the warpath recently :hmm:

Let's hope it doesn't turn into another Evangelion 3.33 fiasco.

• I feel like the reason I don't think this is NEARLY as bad as the Evangelion 3.33 release is with Free! Eternal Summer you can still easily watch it dubbed through the Elite Subscription and it's still available. Granted I don't get why it was suddenly put on indefinite hold for its release but its really strange. Hopefully whatever issue it is gets resolved.

Honestly I highly doubt that Pony Canyon is going to be able to even interfere with it but who knows at this point.

• There are a couple rumors floating around. Some are thinking that FUNi was finally able to work something out with Crunchyroll in order to dub the first season, so they might be delaying it for that. Others are tossing around the idea that FUNi decided to go ahead and add the OVA to the set. Personally, I think they might just be pushing it back to December to better feed the Christmas rush.

Again, these are all JUST RUMORS and speculation. As of now we don't actually know the reason why the sets have been delayed.

I mentioned it to RightStuf this morning and they said they were looking into the matter, so hopefully we'll find out something soon.

• I'll be heated if it's the OVA scenario - Future Diary could have used that as well honestly.

Other than that, I am not into this show but I wish you all luck in being able to own it, friends.

• @stronkadonk:

I'll be heated if it's the OVA scenario - Future Diary could have used that as well honestly.

Future Diary's situation is slightly different since that OVA was released with the manga, which means more and/or different parties involved and more difficult to license. Funi already said they had Free's OVA, it's just going to be released separately, unless of course this delay is because they have it ready sooner than they thought and want to include it with the set.

Whatever is going on, some clarification would be nice.

EDIT: ANN confirmed with Funi that the release is officially delayed and a new release date will be announced "soon". No reason for the delay has been mentioned. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-09-10/free-eternal-summer-home-video-release-delayed/.92776

• This really upsets me… I pre-ordered my premium edition on the fact that it'd come out before Anime Matsuri Hawaii, where Johnny Yong Bosch will be a guest. I used my bday money on this pre-order..and I was expecting it come out this month. When I read about the delay, I nearly cried. It's like... everything for nothing... They don't even give us a clear reason for the delay. I need my muscles!! I so wanted to get my premium edition signed T^T... and Funi is coming to AM Hawaii... if it's not released by then, I'm gonna give them an earful at the convention pouts

• @SpacemanHardy:

This is a rather alarming matter, considering the set was supposed to be released in just a few weeks. If it was just a pushed back date, it would be one thing, but having them delayed indefinitely is something else entirely.

Hopefully it's not due to issues with the licensor. Pony Canyon has been going on the warpath recently :hmm:

Let's hope it doesn't turn into another Evangelion 3.33 fiasco.

what do you mean that pony canyon has been on the warpath?

• @goku8399:

what do you mean that pony canyon has been on the warpath?

an over exaggeration. Pony Canyon has licensed at least 1 show from each of the last few seasons. Hardy is getting paranoid

• @Getchman:

an over exaggeration. Pony Canyon has licensed at least 1 show from each of the last few seasons. Hardy is getting paranoid

PonyCan US has already stated that their plans are to eventually make it so that every anime title that is produced by Pony Canyon Japan is licensed to them, barring a handful of exceptions.

It's just like Aniplex of America all over again.

• @SpacemanHardy:

barring a handful of exceptions.

Translation: until their contracts are up

• I really hope it doesn't take too long. I had preordered the premium edition along with other things and I chose to have everything shipped together. I don't want my other items to be delayed as well!