Sabertooth Spin-off manga

• So last month, Hiro Mashima released a Fairy Tail spin-off manga centering on the Sabertooth guild. Ever since last summer, Mashima has been making Fairy Tail spin-off manga like the prequel Fairy Tail Zero, which centers on Mavis Vermillion and her story of how she formed the Fairy Tail guild, another prequel manga focusing on Grey and how he joined Fairy Tail, and Fairy Girls, which centered on the girls of Fairy Tail, (read: Lucy, Erza, Juvia and Wendy) and now he's giving Sabertooth their own manga. And I think it's pretty great to see Mashima give the other guilds their own stories to tell, which makes me wonder why he didn't give one to Lamia Scale or Blue Pegasus.

I have two possible theories as to when this takes place, A: after the downfall of Tartaros and the disbanding of Fairy Tail, or B: When Fairy Tail was being rebuilt and Natsu, Lucy, Grey, Erza, Wendy, Happy, Carla, and Mest were rescuing Makarov from the Alverez Empire.

However, only four chapters have been released so far, and it's clear that the spin-off manga is only stretching its legs. The last chapter ended with the words "To Be Continued" which means that there will be opportunities for other members of Sabertooth to shine, which is good because Sting is the only character doing his thing so far. Basically, he was the one fighting the bad guys and rescuing Yukino then the villain boasts about how his master plan will still go into fruition, then the cavalry comes in and cleans his clock. The cavalry being Rogue, Rufus, Orga, Minerva, and that ninja guy whose name I can't remember. However, one problem I had with the manga was that what we saw from it so far felt like Hiro Mashima took a story that could have been applied to the traditional Fairy Tail guild and applied Microsoft Word's "Find-And-Replace" function to it. In particular, Sting kind of felt like a carbon copy of Natsu. Being upset about the bad guy guild attacking its own, I can understand, he was upset about Jiemma attacking Lector (or at least trying to) but could Mashima at least have him not get motion sickness? Even though, in Chapter 441 in the main series, Wendy's been getting it too? And Yukino's kidnapping doesn't feel that much different from the times in which it happened to Lucy. At least the new manga is stretching its legs, hopefully Mashima will do something to get Sabertooth to feel different.

• @iamshodan:

So last month, Hiro Mashima released a Fairy Tail spin-off manga centering on the Sabertooth guild. Ever since last summer, Mashima has been making Fairy Tail spin-off manga like the prequel Fairy Tail Zero, which centers on Mavis Vermillion and her story of how she formed the Fairy Tail guild, another prequel manga focusing on Grey and how he joined Fairy Tail, and Fairy Girls, which centered on the girls of Fairy Tail, (read: Lucy, Erza, Juvia and Wendy) and now he's giving Sabertooth their own manga. And I think it's pretty great to see Mashima give the other guilds their own stories to tell, which makes me wonder why he didn't give one to Lamia Scale or Blue Pegasus.

I have two possible theories as to when this takes place, A: after the downfall of Tartaros and the disbanding of Fairy Tail, or B: When Fairy Tail was being rebuilt and Natsu, Lucy, Grey, Erza, Wendy, Happy, Carla, and Mest were rescuing Makarov from the Alverez Empire.

However, only four chapters have been released so far, and it's clear that the spin-off manga is only stretching its legs. The last chapter ended with the words "To Be Continued" which means that there will be opportunities for other members of Sabertooth to shine, which is good because Sting is the only character doing his thing so far. Basically, he was the one fighting the bad guys and rescuing Yukino then the villain boasts about how his master plan will still go into fruition, then the cavalry comes in and cleans his clock. The cavalry being Rogue, Rufus, Orga, Minerva, and that ninja guy whose name I can't remember. However, one problem I had with the manga was that what we saw from it so far felt like Hiro Mashima took a story that could have been applied to the traditional Fairy Tail guild and applied Microsoft Word's "Find-And-Replace" function to it. In particular, Sting kind of felt like a carbon copy of Natsu. Being upset about the bad guy guild attacking its own, I can understand, he was upset about Jiemma attacking Lector (or at least trying to) but could Mashima at least have him not get motion sickness? Even though, in Chapter 441 in the main series, Wendy's been getting it too? And Yukino's kidnapping doesn't feel that much different from the times in which it happened to Lucy. At least the new manga is stretching its legs, hopefully Mashima will do something to get Sabertooth to feel different.

Was this written by Hiro Mashima? I know it wasn't drawn by Mashima, but did he have some sort of input with the story?

• Yes it is written by Hiro Mashima, just not drawn by him. I doubt anything that happens here will play role in the main story, but since Hiro is writing it, I see no reason why it can't be canon.

Personally I am hoping for someone other than Yukino of course, to bump into Sorano casually. That would be cool to see Sting, or Rogue, or someone interact with Sorano. Or perhaps Sabertooth and Crime Sorciere are in the same place, but going in different direction and they just miss each other.

• Which reminds me, when Fairy Tail met up with Sorano a.k.a Angel in Chapter 444 in the main series, how come they didn't say to her, "We met Yukino and she misses you very much."

• Well it is hard to identify someone that Yukino described as kind when that person is bragging about how she murdered someone right to your face.

But I would have liked for Lucy to at least say she heard that name somewhere before. And later remember where she heard that name before.

• @iamshodan:

Which reminds me, when Fairy Tail met up with Sorano a.k.a Angel in Chapter 444 in the main series, how come they didn't say to her, "We met Yukino and she misses you very much."

For one, Lucy's probably the only one who knows Sorano is Yukino's sister. When Lucy met Angel again for the first time in eight years, that was probably the first time she heard her real name, which she only heard a year ago. She was just about to piece it together when Angel reminded her who killed Karen. Because Sorano is so sure Yukino, a proud celestial wizard who dearly loves her spirits, would just LOVE to find out her beloved, long-lost sister is not only alive and well, but also has a criminal record of killing celestial wizards, stealing their keys as trophies, and treating her spirits as objects for her own sadistic amusement.

• @immblueversion:

For one, Lucy's probably the only one who knows Sorano is Yukino's sister. When Lucy met Angel again for the first time in eight years, that was probably the first time she heard her real name, which she only heard a year ago. She was just about to piece it together when Angel reminded her who killed Karen. Because Sorano is so sure Yukino, a proud celestial wizard who dearly loves her spirits, would just LOVE to find out her beloved, long-lost sister is not only alive and well, but also has a criminal record of killing celestial wizards, stealing their keys as trophies, and treating her spirits as objects for her own sadistic amusement.

I disagree, I think Sorano thinks Yukino is dead. She never mentioned she had a sister or is looking to find her like Richard, and she was in jail during the GMG, so she probably never saw Yukino participate. Maybe Erik saw her and told Sorano about seeing someone that looked like her, but that is a long shot.

• @immblueversion:

She was just about to piece it together when Angel reminded her who killed Karen.

Why didn't Lucy say back to her that she heard her the first time?

@immblueversion:

Because Sorano is so sure Yukino, a proud celestial wizard who dearly loves her spirits, would just LOVE to find out her beloved, long-lost sister is not only alive and well, but also has a criminal record of killing celestial wizards, stealing their keys as trophies, and treating her spirits as objects for her own sadistic amusement.

You know, that sounds like an excellent set-up for a really intense sub-plot. Sorano could realize that Yukino is alive and well, and then she'd be faced with a dilemma: on one hand, she loves her sister very much and would love to reunite with her, but on the other, she's afraid of what Yukino would think of her if she finds out about all the terrible things she did.

• @iamshodan:

You know, that sounds like an excellent set-up for a really intense sub-plot. Sorano could realize that Yukino is alive and well, and then she'd be faced with a dilemma: on one hand, she loves her sister very much and would love to reunite with her, but on the other, she's afraid of what Yukino would think of her if she finds out about all the terrible things she did.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why Sorano told Lucy she killed Karen, even though Karen was not the greatest human being. Since Lucy and Sorano aren't exactly friends, this is probably her way of saying, "Don't tell my sister."

• We also find out about a limit to Minerva's powers. While she interrogated a guy who pretended to be Yukino so he could sneak into Sabertooth, he told her that he put Yukino in an airship in the Eastern outskirts of the city. Minerva then says that those areas are out of her magic range. I have to theories as to what that limit might be: 1: she can only teleport to areas she is familiar with and she hasn't been there. However, since she used words like "range," I'm more inclined to believe theory 2: her teleportation magic can only take her to places within a certain radius around her and the eastern outskirts are outside of that radius.

• Okay the latest chapter, the town is full of zombies, I don't know what the hell happened to that town, but I blame the mayor.

Another point with the shipping, looks like in this arc, we are going to Sting and Yukino have one plot, while Rouge and Minvera have the other plot, before they meet up. I always thought Rogue and Minerva had the whole have the whole inner darkness going for them.

BTW, anyone who saw the latest episode of Fairy Tail. What you think of this idea for an arc in this series. Fingers son or daughter shows up and wants to avenges Fingers and wants to destroy Sabertooth.

This could be the Minerva centered arc when it is her turn to have an arc, perhaps she gets kidnapped, I mean if you want revenge for something Jiemma did, why not go after his daughter, and Minerva was the one that defeated Fingers in that duel, which lead Jiemma to kill him.

• Could you please tell me who this "Fingers" person is?

Also, it looks as though there are women in Sabertooth besides Yukino and Minerva.

• Fingers he is this guy.

http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Fingers

• Also, that outfit Minerva had in Chapter 425 of the main series? She has it on again in chapter 7 of this spin-off.

• Well, Minerva got a chance to shine in the past few chapters, and some of Erza's influence has definitely rubbed off on her.

• Well I liked the last couple of chapters, you do get the idea Minerva saw a little bit of her past self with her opponent.

• Especially since they both had family members that only valued them for their power. Though for one it was a parent and for the other it was a sibling.

Though when Minerva said to that girl, "Power is not the only connection you can have. The world is filled with warmer things," I wish that immediately after that she said, "This much I learned from… her." And I think you might guess who "she" is.

• @iamshodan:

Especially since they both had family members that only valued them for their power. Though for one it was a parent and for the other it was a sibling.

Though when Minerva said to that girl, "Power is not the only connection you can have. The world is filled with warmer things," I wish that immediately after that she said, "This much I learned from… her." And I think you might guess who "she" is.

Yeah student becomes the teacher, it is like when Sunset Shimmer talked down Midnight Sparkle in Equestria Girls 3.

• A few new chapters were released but you can't read them on Mangapanda.com.

• Also, Minerva's attitudes towards the big brother of the girl with the magic hammer? After learning about the worst of him she wanted to roast him alive, but after seeing him show kindness she decides against it? Kind of reminds me of my now attitudes towards Minerva herself.

• And I like how the last chapter ended:

[image deleted]

EDIT: Do NOT post illegal manga scans. -SH