Sekirei Part 3

• Is there going to be one?
    I would like to see how this end's, does anyone know?

Thank You In Advance :)

• Yer the best thanks!

• since the series follows the manga almost 100%…

There are places (rumor has it) where one can (in theory) read (supposedly translated versions of) the manga which was unfortunately never released in the U.S. in any form.

That may or may not finish the story for you.

or so I'm told.

and a 3rd season would have been better than the 1st two.

• ^ Doug, please stop trying to tell our members to go to illegal scanlation sites.

Such sites hurt the industry and, through use of their ill-gotten funds from banner ads, sometimes help fund criminal activities.

• I'd ask you to please explain what industry a "scanlation" that's been around for 5-10 years now (i'm guessing) hurts? I seriously doubt Square Enix isn't aware of those versions existing. If we were talking about a simple scan, un-translated, having a negative impact on the Manga market in Japan, then I'd have to agree completely.

HOWEVER…

Here the insinuation was about something never made available outside of Japan by any "legit" means.

Personally, I think you have to draw the line somewhere when you are discussing foreign works of any kind, and I can't entirely say anyone who should chose to pursue such a thing can be looked down upon. Clearly nobody outside of Japan felt like Sekirei was worth the cost and efforts to localize in Manga form, so who exactly is getting robbed by an English speaker finding a translation? The best I can come up with is Rosetta Stone, maybe.... assuming you are naïve enough to believe someone can spend $400 on software to get fluent enough to read the original text in a timely enough manner that they will even still care?

Actually, the fact that there may be an accessible way (right or wrong) to conclude a story which was never finished in anime form may very well be a benefit to a whole hell of a lot of people, from whomever sells the DVD or streaming sub plan, all the way back to Square Enix who licensed the property for an anime version. Everyone along the chain gets theirs.

Does it not seem kind of silly to invest time and money into an anime series as a fan knowing full well you will get nothing close to a complete story?

But hey, when FUNImation becomes a manga publisher (doubtful), or any other US Manga publisher does pick up the rights to Sekirei (not likely), and said publisher does even hint at making a release happen, then I'd say you have a right to get all grumpy. And I'd be right there agreeing with you.

But until then it's nice to know you don't have to be left hanging half way through if you choose not to be.

• @dougswisher:

But hey, when FUNImation becomes a manga publisher (doubtful), or any other US Manga publisher does pick up the rights to Sekirei (not likely), and said publisher does even hint at making a release happen, then I'd say you have a right to get all grumpy. And I'd be right there agreeing with you.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-05/yen-press-licenses-my-youth-romantic-comedy-is-wrong-as-i-expected-how-to-raise-a-boring-girlfriend-baccano-more/.90112

Decided to actually look it up for myself. Basically Sekirei's been confirmed for a digital release by Yen Press. No idea if it WILL be print at a later date or not but it has in fact recently been announced as a digital manga release by Yen Press.

• in that case, no…. don't go looking for a translated version online.

• not really sure where it "hurts" the industry… That said I discovered my recent love of anime through Netflix, discovered scanlation which fed my desire more, which resulted in my finding funimation and crunchyroll websites, which I go to for my preferred watching of a hint anime.

"Scanlation" stuff only fills the need for unlicensed series this side of "the pond".

However I agree, on a forum of a company that licenses content from the original mangaka, it's bad form to even mention that it's available from a "grey market" or "black market"

As for yen press licensing and releasing digital sekirei volumes, it's old news. And because it's digital I'll likely be one of the first to make a purchase to support my enjoyment all this time.

I dunno about anyone else however, waiting 3-5 years for 18 volumes and to read the final stretch is annoying, and certainly would be hard to do.

Support the mangaka and rights holders of the media! ;)

• As a matter of law, rights holders must vigorously defend their rights or the rights are lost. This is understood. What I don't understand is it being "bad form" to mention the existence of the "grey market". Everyone knows it exists, so isn't it kind of silly to pretend that we know nothing about it?

In my opinion, most people who would refuse to purchase a professionally-made licensed product due to the existence of a "grey market" alternative were highly unlikely to have bought the legit product in the first place, so the actual damage to the industry is negligible; and this know-nothingism also ignores any possible free marketing effect of having the unlicensed material available to attract potential purchasers who might never have heard about or have been interested in the licensed product in the first place. So until the licensed product becomes a reality, and really not even then, I see no issue in our mentioning the existence of unlicensed ones. Funimation employees probably can't talk about it though, and they probably can't allow direct links to the unlicensed material in this forum, for the legal reasons mentioned.

• @dougswisher:

Does it not seem kind of silly to invest time and money into an anime series as a fan knowing full well you will get nothing close to a complete story?

Not if you want to support the continued creation of works similar to it. Voting with your dollars is the only vote that really counts.

• @rwoodard

Besides, just about every series has a lack of a 'end' in some way. There is always story worth telling, its just not profitable to do so. So they try to wrap it up with a 'happy ever after' if possible, or just 'kill everyone off' as an alternative.

It's not limited to anime and manga either.