Prison School Broadcast Dub Review

• Hello everybody, what did you guys thinks about the 1st episode of the broadcast dub of Prison School? To be honest I thought the voices sound kinda strange coming out of the characters especially Andre, but I guess that it will take some time to get used to. I would prefered if they used the cast I made up, I personally think it might of been a better fit, but that just my opinion. What is your opinions on the broadcast dub?

• I just finished watching the 2nd episode of the broadcast dub, I think that this dub is pretty good (eventhough I still think that J Michael Tatum would've been a better choice for Gakuto than Eric Vale). I personally think that the voice actors has really improved as their characters (except for Sonny Strait as Andre and Eric Vale as Gakuto). I think that FUNimation made a great choice casting Smokey DeLange (Charlie Campbell) as the Chairman.

• I just finished watching the 3rd episode of the broadcast dub, I thought it was pretty good. I'm starting to like Eric Vale's performance as Gakuto, he impressed me a lot in that episode. I wasn't sure at first, but FUNimation really picked a great cast for the show.

• This dub just gets better and better, I love it so far. I just finished watching the 4th episode and it was really funny. This show is hilarious, I absolutely love it. I can't wait till the next episode.

• Ya the shows is so freaking funny. I love when there faces change when a situation happens

• @youhungry:

Ya the shows is so freaking funny. I love when there faces change when a situation happens

I gotta agree with this. This show has some of the best reaction faces since GTO.

• I just finished watching the 5th episode and it made me feel so bad Kiyoshi. I felt really sorry for him since he almost got expelled and how bad he was being treated in this episode. This is a really good series, I can't wait to the next one. I'm really loving this show so far.

• I finish watch the 6th episode, I thought it was pretty good. I can't believe that Joe freaked out so much over a few ants. I also really like the butt mouse pad that the Chairman bought. I really like this dub so far, I can't wait to hear Anzu's dub voice.

• I finally heard Anzu's dub voice and I'm 100% sure that was Colleen Clinkenbeard.

• I could care less about the recent gamergate reference but if it means more awareness of how bad this dub actually is (even before that episode), all the better IMO.

Maybe it'll actually convince FUNimation to redub and recast this entire dub because the poor quality voice acting (which resulted from bad casting) already meant plenty of fans weren't going to buy the DVD/Blu-ray in the future.

Wishful thinking of course… If the 10K per episode is accurate for dubbing costs FUNimation just flushed $120K down the toilet. Though with broadcast dubs being rushed maybe slash that number in half? (would explain the quality issues for majority of broadcast dubs; having only 1 or 2 good broadcast dubs per season isn't something to brag about if the others sucked)

*Recast, re-dub and rewrite this show faithfully if FUNimation wants it to be profitable (otherwise fans will just torrent the uncensored Japanese blu-rays asap as a big middle finger to FUNimation for ruining the dub for one of the best anime of the year) and MAYBE will reconsider buying the show legally if FUNimation makes an effort to deliver a better dub worth buying and supporting

*Don't let Sonny Strait direct another FUNimation dub ever again (he's never going to be a good ADR Director and that's fine. Stick to acting and being a comic book creator)

*Create new contracts for the talent stating that they MAY be replaced for the finalized dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release. IMO none of the VAs should potentially be paid until a month after the completion of the final episode. That one month can be used by TPTB at FUNimation to evaluate whether the dub is something that's well liked (AKA marketable). If the consensus is that the dub has room for improvement then with the new contracts no $ has to be wasted paying talent & crew who didn't deliver a high quality product, and instead that saved $ can be used to do a proper dub everybody can enjoy and be proud of from scratch. TL;DR Instead for paying for "2 dubs" (1 test dub, 1 re-dub) they'd just be paying for one dub (the re-dubbed version)

From what I know FUNimation VAs are paid monthly (e.g. IIRC Leah Clark once lost/had stolen an entire month of pay from her purse with a cheque that hadn't been cashed yet) so it's not like free lance workers for FUNimation are going hungry waiting for those monthly cheques (assuming they have other sources of income, worked on other anime that AREN'T broadcast dubs and have good monthly living budgeting skills/common sense where not getting paid for a broadcast dub won't ruin them)

*Or maybe just WAIT to do something right rather than do a butchered job for the sake a few more season pass subscriptions...

I'd imagine more people still buy DVDs/Blu-rays ("bread and butter" as stated many times) vs. subscribe to Funimation.com (number of site complaints sadly hasn't gone away though I know Sophie and the team are doing their best to make improvements)

Also worth noting that on twitter VERY few fans are actually live tweeting Prison School each week. I wouldn't be surprised if the bad dub turned a lot of fans off. I actually see more "this dub is crap" comments than anything positive when searching for recent tweets

• @lazyanimedude:

IMO none of the VAs should potentially be paid until a month after the completion of the final episode.

Don't think only "potentially" paying them would go over well with the law.

• @Firefly:

Don't think only "potentially" paying them would go over well with the law.

FWIW being non-union in theory Funimation can do whatever they want for their own productions as long as they don't violate human rights, municipal/state/federal laws.

Some actors don't even get paid for non-union acting work as long as they can get a free meal out of it. I can only confirm what I've been told concerning the California non-union dubbing industry but the "requirement" is a minimum 2 hour recording session though there are loopholes so sometimes instead of paying a VA 2 hours worth of work TPTB will offer just 1 hour of pay and a slice of pizza (true story).

A slice of pizza is what like $5? Producer just got a high five for saving 92% of the hourly anime rate for every other hour (if the VA accepted those conditions). Johnny Yong Bosch once got offered a pack of gum after a recording session early in his career…

Anime VAs in general are already treated and paid very poorly; anyone doing it is doing it for the love of the medium, to build their own brand as an actor (they are their own business) or have no other acting opportunities, or simply want any outlet where they can act (doing something they love).

If Funimation did hypothetically enforce this new contract (saving them money and getting a better dub = win win for them and fans) it's not like the VAs boycotting the terms would make a huge difference. The only "losers" here are the VAs who didn't do a good enough job in the first place (test dub) to earn being paid. If you're actually talented you have nothing to worry about. If someone screwed up your food order at a restaurant would you still pay for that?

There aren't really any "stars" in anime anyway other than those who used to work in anime (e.g. Troy Baker), those who sometimes work in anime mainly as gratitude for kickstarting their career (e.g. Steve Blum who only does union dubs anyway so non-union terms wouldn't affect him) or those who market themselves as stars on the convention circuit (e.g. Vic Mignogna)

TL;DR If anyone had real bargaining power/influence the anime dubbing industry would've been pressured to renegotiate better terms a long time ago.

They'd just cast any of the thousands of people looking for any way to break into the voice acting industry regardless of how bad the pay is if any of the current popular VAs decided to quit.

Shame after 20+ years of non-union dubs in America everybody who worked on a crappy dub just laughs it off or pretends the experience never happened. There should be some accountability and consequences for bad results.

• @lazyanimedude:

I could care less about the recent gamergate reference but if it means more awareness of how bad this dub actually is (even before that episode), all the better IMO.

Maybe it'll actually convince FUNimation to redub and recast this entire dub because the poor quality voice acting (which resulted from bad casting) already meant plenty of fans weren't going to buy the DVD/Blu-ray in the future.

Wishful thinking of course… If the 10K per episode is accurate for dubbing costs FUNimation just flushed $120K down the toilet. Though with broadcast dubs being rushed maybe slash that number in half? (would explain the quality issues for majority of broadcast dubs; having only 1 or 2 good broadcast dubs per season isn't something to brag about if the others sucked)

*Recast, re-dub and rewrite this show faithfully if FUNimation wants it to be profitable (otherwise fans will just torrent the uncensored Japanese blu-rays asap as a big middle finger to FUNimation for ruining the dub for one of the best anime of the year) and MAYBE will reconsider buying the show legally if FUNimation makes an effort to deliver a better dub worth buying and supporting

*Don't let Sonny Strait direct another FUNimation dub ever again (he's never going to be a good ADR Director and that's fine. Stick to acting and being a comic book creator)

*Create new contracts for the talent stating that they MAY be replaced for the finalized dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release. IMO none of the VAs should potentially be paid until a month after the completion of the final episode. That one month can be used by TPTB at FUNimation to evaluate whether the dub is something that's well liked (AKA marketable). If the consensus is that the dub has room for improvement then with the new contracts no $ has to be wasted paying talent & crew who didn't deliver a high quality product, and instead that saved $ can be used to do a proper dub everybody can enjoy and be proud of from scratch. TL;DR Instead for paying for "2 dubs" (1 test dub, 1 re-dub) they'd just be paying for one dub (the re-dubbed version)

From what I know FUNimation VAs are paid monthly (e.g. IIRC Leah Clark once lost/had stolen an entire month of pay from her purse with a cheque that hadn't been cashed yet) so it's not like free lance workers for FUNimation are going hungry waiting for those monthly cheques (assuming they have other sources of income, worked on other anime that AREN'T broadcast dubs and have good monthly living budgeting skills/common sense where not getting paid for a broadcast dub won't ruin them)

*Or maybe just WAIT to do something right rather than do a butchered job for the sake a few more season pass subscriptions...

I'd imagine more people still buy DVDs/Blu-rays ("bread and butter" as stated many times) vs. subscribe to Funimation.com (number of site complaints sadly hasn't gone away though I know Sophie and the team are doing their best to make improvements)

Also worth noting that on twitter VERY few fans are actually live tweeting Prison School each week. I wouldn't be surprised if the bad dub turned a lot of fans off. I actually see more "this dub is crap" comments than anything positive when searching for recent tweets

Yea after what happened. Funimation should consider rewriting the script and doing one particular recast and keep it more faithful to the source material.

• Just finished watching the final episode of the broadcast dub, and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for Season 2 to come out. PS Who was the dub voice for Kate Takenomiya in the final episode? I didn't recognized it, if anyone knows who it is please let me know.

• @animefan850:

Just finished watching the final episode of the broadcast dub, and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for Season 2 to come out. PS Who was the dub voice for Kate Takenomiya in the final episode? I didn't recognized it, if anyone knows who it is please let me know.

Most fans hated the dub so unfortunately for you I doubt most people care. You could always ask Sonny Strait himself on twitter or facebook; he has tons of free time that's why he's hired for broadcast dubs in the first place despite being a subpar ADR Director…

• I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume it was Alex Moore

• @masterofeatandsleep:

Most fans hated the dub so unfortunately for you I doubt most people care.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you alone represented the voice of "most fans". Because from what I've seen online on Twitter and the DubbleTalk Twitch chat is that other than Andre's voice, parts of the writing, and of course that one particular line in question, the dub is actually fairly well received.

I'm also curious as to how you know how supposedly "bad" the dub is, considering you aren't showing up as an All-Access member and therefore shouldn't legally be able to watch it. -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

I'm also curious as to how you know how supposedly "bad" the dub is, considering you aren't showing up as an All-Access member and therefore shouldn't legally be able to watch it. -_-

Now now SMH lets not jump to conclusions.

This could just be his trolling account and he has an actual account with a subscription!

• @priestesstyrande:

Now now SMH lets not jump to conclusions.

This could just be his trolling account and he has an actual account with a subscription!

If that's true, then he's in even bigger trouble, considering that having multiple accounts is against the website's ToS.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you alone represented the voice of "most fans". Because from what I've seen online on Twitter and the DubbleTalk Twitch chat is that other than Andre's voice, parts of the writing, and of course that one particular line in question, the dub is actually fairly well received.

I have a friend with a subscription. If that's against the "rules" it's amusing that Funimation often includes "do you watch anime with your friends" as a voting option on their surveys and tries to make anime viewing a bigger social viewing experience (hypocrites?)

I still buy DVDs and Blu-rays. If I'm not personally giving Funimation streaming fees also well then I guess I'm a criminal. Lord have mercy!

Also the internet says hello.

"Hi I host thousands of sites where you can stream or download content illegally! And there's no shortage of people who'll take advantage of me!"

You really expect EVERY single person who's seen the dub to watch it here. Must be nice to be naive…

And yeah... twitter and DubbleTalk aren't the best indicators of feedback. This is a pro-dub forum and a pro-dub company with pro-dub fans. Some are going to be happy with any result as long as it's in English and are easy to please.

Interesting you bring up twitter. There's plenty of negative feedback that pre-dates the gamergate episode so this dub wasn't "well received" at all. I'd be happy to link you several tweets from different users if you actually care and have the time to read.

There's been little enthusiasm about the dub at sites that regularly discuss anime dubs.

Reddit didn't like it. MyAnimelIst didn't like it. chan sites didn't like it. Youtube didn't like it. BTVA didn't like it. ANN didn't like it. Tumblr didn't like it. Notable blogs didn't like it.

But who cares right? They MUST be weaboos or dub-haters or not "real" fans if they don't constantly tell Funimation they're awesome even when they're not.... Shame on all those people for having standards and expecting better!

I genuinely feel sorry for the cast. They have shown they can be better in other shows but when they're miscast from the start AND have poor voice direction, it's basically a lost cause. Best of luck to them. Hopefully their next projects highlight their talent much better to erase the bad experience of this dub.

• @masterofeatandsleep:

I have a friend with a subscription. If that's against the "rules" it's amusing that Funimation often includes "do you watch anime with your friends" as a voting option on their surveys and tries to make anime viewing a bigger social viewing experience (hypocrites?)

I suppose it would be amusing if the question was "Do you share a subscribed account with a friend while also watching anime together," but it's not, so I'm afraid I don't see the correlation

Unless you're implying it's impossible to watch anime with a friend without sharing an account