Attack on Titan, The Movies Part One & Part Two is it going to Dub in English?

• I wanted to see it IF it going to be dub in English… The Trailer was Sub so I starting worried as there was nothing that was in new page that state it was going dub...

• it will not be dubbed

• WHY NOT? That said it was going be dub? There NO point IN have it come to US if it NOT going to be dub! No one else is going to watch other then the anime fans… The point of being a success of a live action movie is to get MORE then your normal audience to watch it in theaters!

• Too early.

• I don't know…I wouldn't watch a live action movie if all of their actors' performance got overshadowed by dubbed voices. Live action are different from anime since you can changed the design (lip syncing, music changes (such as Dragon Ball Z), ete) of an anime. Live action is "live" with real people acting (hence the name). No matter how you sliced it you can't make a English (or any other language for that matter) dubbed since it was meant to be in Japanese. Funimation has lots of examples on their website such as Goemon.

But other than that, I'm looking forward to see how these movies play out.

• It might get a dub later on for the home video release, but I believe that the theatrical showings for now are going to be sub-only.

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

It might get a dub later on for the home video release, but I believe that the theatrical showings for now are going to be sub-only.

They do it ALL the time for theaters going to other country for movie this is NO different.. There no point in going to see sub movie only anime fan are going to go people that are not really big anime fans are not going to go see it.. So it dumb on Funimation part NOT to dub it… I reading disable and can't read that fast so I can't watch sub so I will not be going to see it if its NOT dub in English... Way to ruin my enjoyment Funimation ... SICK of the sub only crap!

• so you don't see it in theaters, not the end of the world

• It's a limited run with only certain theaters on certain dates at certain times. It's catering to people who already know it exists, are fans of the anime, are interested in seeing a different version of the story, AND are willing and able to make it to one of those special showings. I doubt that being sub only will hurt it that much since it has such a specific target audience.

As Hardy said, it might be dubbed for the home video release. Most people will end up seeing it outside of theaters anyway because of the limited run, regardless of audio preference.

• @Firefly:

It's a limited run with only certain theaters on certain dates at certain times. It's catering to people who already know it exists, are fans of the anime, are interested in seeing a different version of the story, AND are willing and able to make it to one of those special showings. I doubt that being sub only will hurt it that much since it has such a specific target audience.

As Hardy said, it might be dubbed for the home video release. Most people will end up seeing it outside of theaters anyway because of the limited run, regardless of audio preference.

Uh no that not how theaters in movie you need make more then you paid to get it in theaters… If it sub only how DIFFERENT is it from the Japan Version? LOL... That makes no sense... Also I don't WANT to wait like 3 month after its out of theaters... To make money you NEED more then you normal target audience... That why the DBZ Movie is doing good b/c it NOT just anime fans watching or DBZ fans watching it people outside anime that are watching it too... That how movie theaters work!

• @gohan6425:

Uh no that not how theaters in movie you need make more then you paid to get it in theaters…

That's what they're doing…it wouldn't make sense to spend extra for the dub if the people who plan to watch it in theaters aren't concerned with the language. This theatrical release is literally for the hardcore fanbase, and dubbing it for theaters would have done very, very little in increasing tickets sold

@gohan6425:

If it sub only how DIFFERENT is it from the Japan Version? LOL… That makes no sense...

It's different from the anime because it's a different take on the manga. It's a different version of the Attack on Titan story, it's not a different version of the movie

@gohan6425:

Also I don't WANT to wait like 3 month after its out of theaters… To make money you NEED more then you normal target audience... That why the DBZ Movie is doing good b/c it NOT just anime fans watching or DBZ fans watching it people outside anime that are watching it too... That how movie theaters work!

You seem to have a complete misunderstanding of how limited theatrical runs work. Even the DBZ movie had a limited run, and even though the shows were all packed, it still represents a pretty niche section of the U.S. population. I mean, the reason why it landed in the top 10 for anime box office in the U.S. is more because anime itself is a growing market in America, as well as the fact that the only real competition to crack the top ten is a handful of Pokemon and Studio Ghibli movies

• @Riles:

That's what they're doing…it wouldn't make sense to spend extra for the dub if the people who plan to watch it in theaters aren't concerned with the language. This theatrical release is literally for the hardcore fanbase, and dubbing it for theaters would have done very, very little in increasing tickets sold

It's different from the anime because it's a different take on the manga. It's a different version of the Attack on Titan story, it's not a different version of the movie

You seem to have a complete misunderstanding of how limited theatrical runs work. Even the DBZ movie had a limited run, and even though the shows were all packed, it still represents a pretty niche section of the U.S. population. I mean, the reason why it landed in the top 10 for anime box office in the U.S. is more because anime itself is a growing market in America, as well as the fact that the only real competition to crack the top ten is a handful of Pokemon and Studio Ghibli movies

1 False… If people don't go to see it not save it... It not all about just the normal fan base getting in you need more then that or it will fail... It make more sense to dub so people can understand it...
    2 The anime version is basic on the manga not the movie lol The movie is just really showing the events of season 1 in part 1 and part 2 of this movie in live action instead of of it in an anime. With a few sad changed like no Levi or change his name to something else...
    3 I know how limited theatrical runs work and DBZ my favorites anymore so don't tell me twice... Anyway if you not heard DBZ did so good there are more theatrical running the DBZ movie until the 17th... Because it that good. Yes the DBZ and Anime Fan Fill House but it was not just then it was non anime fans that got tickets as well... I also hoping that b/c it made 9 all time he in the US for top anime movies of all time that we will not get DB Super lease soon to Funimation so we can get dub going already... But that getting a little off topic...

• Part 1 will be showing for 3 days, part 2 will be showing for 3 days (according to the official website). Those types of limited theatrical releases work precisely because they're NOT aiming for a general audience with no prior knowledge or interest and instead are targeting a more guaranteed audience. Limited theatrical runs are very different from a general theatrical release. They don't expect the average person to go see it on a whim. If the theaters are packed then it will have been a success, doesn't matter if it's fans or the average person, it's just that fans are more likely to go.

It's more different than than simply showing the anime in live action and not featuring Levi. Isayama wanted it to be different. Going off of Hope Chapman's review, Eren and Mikasa are different. The movie is focused on the horror aspect and Eren's psychological state. The tone and themes are different. She pretty much warned that you won't like it if you don't like horror (because that's what it is, a pure horror movie) and/or want it to be faithful to the manga/anime version of the story.

DBZ is an old and well-known name to the point where even plenty of non-anime fans know what it is and have maybe even seen some of the show. Attack on Titan may be very popular right now, but DBZ is in another league. That it did well enough for Funi to add more showings is certainly very good, but it's still a limited run with a niche audience, not the average American movie-goer.

• @Firefly:

Part 1 will be showing for 3 days, part 2 will be showing for 3 days (according to the official website). Those types of limited theatrical releases work precisely because they're NOT aiming for a general audience with no prior knowledge or interest and instead are targeting a more guaranteed audience. Limited theatrical runs are very different from a general theatrical release. They don't expect the average person to go see it on a whim. If the theaters are packed then it will have been a success, doesn't matter if it's fans or the average person, it's just that fans are more likely to go.

It's more different than than simply showing the anime in live action and not featuring Levi. Isayama wanted it to be different. Going off of Hope Chapman's review, Eren and Mikasa are different. The movie is focused on the horror aspect and Eren's psychological state. The tone and themes are different. She pretty much warned that you won't like it if you don't like horror (because that's what it is, a pure horror movie) and/or want it to be faithful to the manga/anime version of the story.

DBZ is an old and well-known name to the point where even plenty of non-anime fans know what it is and have maybe even seen some of the show. Attack on Titan may be very popular right now, but DBZ is in another league. That it did well enough for Funi to add more showings is certainly very good, but it's still a limited run with a niche audience, not the average American movie-goer.

I do like horror story lol… But if it NOT dub I not going see it b/c I can't read that fast enough... It either dub in English no go! There not bring the movie if it NOT going dub... Also yes there some changed but for most part it going be the same anime only live action...Yes DBZ is in another league over Attack OnTitan that true but WHY not try to get ore to find out about it? Every on know Attack On Titan is the big thing right for new anime that people like. Why not try to get more people to know about beside your normal fans of the show to watch it so it could get at the LEVEL DBZ is at...? It make more sense...

• @gohan6425:

for most part it going be the same anime only live action…

Except that's not what people who have actually seen the movie are saying. They might keep some of the basic plot points, but Hope made it clear that it's not the same as the anime just in live action. I trust her on this since she's such a huge fan of the series.

To get more people to go to the movie who aren't already aware of it and fans of the series would require a big and expensive advertising campaign and more viewing opportunities. It's probable that the extra costs wouldn't be worth it. Just because they don't show a dub for this very limited theatrical release doesn't mean one won't happen later. Funi probably decided it wasn't necessary to have a dub in order to meet their ticket sales expectations for how limited this release is (again, a mere 3 days for each film). It's unfortunate for people who wanted one, but that's how it is.

• @Firefly:

Except that's not what people who have actually seen the movie are saying. They might keep some of the basic plot points, but Hope made it clear that it's not the same as the anime just in live action. I trust her on this since she's such a huge fan of the series.

To get more people to go to the movie who aren't already aware of it and fans of the series would require a big and expensive advertising campaign and more viewing opportunities. It's probable that the extra costs wouldn't be worth it. Just because they don't show a dub for this very limited theatrical release doesn't mean one won't happen later. Funi probably decided it wasn't necessary to have a dub in order to meet their ticket sales expectations for how limited this release is (again, a mere 3 days for each film). It's unfortunate for people who wanted one, but that's how it is.

I degree I thing dub would make ticket sale better. And who to say that will not make dub? And I have to wait 3 months for the over to come out with a dub version which is dub and too long for to wait…

• @gohan6425:

And who to say that will not make dub? And I have to wait 3 months for the over to come out with a dub version which is dub and too long for to wait…

…I didn't say it would never be dubbed. I said it might come later, just that Funi probably decided it wasn't necessary for this very very limited theatrical release.

We all have to wait for things we want. I highly doubt I'll be able to see it in theaters.

• @Firefly:

…I didn't say it would never be dubbed. I said it might come later, just that Funi probably decided it wasn't necessary for this very very limited theatrical release.

We all have to wait for things we want. I highly doubt I'll be able to see it in theaters.

IT STILL BS AT THE END OF THE DAY… I should not have wait to see it dub...

• unfortunately, you're gonna have to do just that.

• I love how the majority of the thread is having the same things said repeatedly just a little bit differently.

A live action movie is completely different from an anime or even cartoon movie. You can't efficiently lip sync the dialogue for the dubs and it can be very confusing/disorienting for viewers. Based on theatrical dates, I don't think Funimation plans to rake in a lot of money from this movie which is probably the main reason why they won't consider a dub. On top of that, given how it seems that the people in favor of sub over dub is the more prevalent demographic, Funimation keeping it sub only is probably their safest bet in terms of raking in the metaphorical dough.

And the comment about DBZ being more popular than AoT probably has more to do with DBZ being older and more kid friendly than AoT. DBZ still gets air time on live TV during the day allowing kids to be able to watch unlike AoT. And we all know, if you can get a strong child following you will get money because they will annoy the ever living crap out of their parents till they get what they want. Its probably why Pokemon does as well as it does.

Though I will say that if pokemon was a bit shorter with their regions in the show it would possibly have a decent following with young adults. And Pokemon The First Movie was indeed good.