Code; Geass Blu-ray release United states

• Does anyone know why Code; Geass hasn't been released on Blu-ray in the US. I know occasionally shows will have their rights purchased by a small company and if the company goes under the show won't be published. Could a company like FUNimation buy the rights and release it in Blu-ray? I feel like it would be a huge success if they did release it.

• FUNimation already owns the rights to Code Geass for the US. They just don't have all the materials ready just yet. Not to mention Akito the Exiled is still being released in Japan, so that probably has something to do with the delay.

• I'm really tired of holding my breath for Code Geass. They acquired it like 2 years ago and I haven't seen a single announcement about it since.

• @Wogrim:

I'm really tired of holding my breath for Code Geass. They acquired it like 2 years ago and I haven't seen a single announcement about it since.

Welcome to Funimation. Literally everyone on this forum is waiting for at least ONE title or series that they've licensed to come out. Believe me, it'll happen eventually, and when it DOES happen it'll be affordable and very good. The problem is Funimation products and license rescues take a lot more time than you would ever think.

But yeah if it means I can eventually get Code Geass in a good DVD/Blu-ray format at a very decent and affordable price than that's fine by me. The way I see it, with U.S. anime distributors you get to have 2 of 3 qualities. Quality, Affordability, and Speed.

Funimation is affordable and very good quality, but they're NOT typically fast on things unless it's Priority 1.

• The same thing happened with the Geneon rescues a few years ago. Some popped up almost immediately, while others such as Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate didn't show up until 3 or 4 years after the announcement had been made.

Really the only thing I can tell you is please be patient. Every show has a different scenario, and they all come with their various levels of restrictions and red tape. We promise that Code Geass will come out one of these days, and it will be as wonderful and glorious as you could ever hope for.

• My personal bet is that since the 10th Anniversary is next year they're going to release it then. Only makes sense to celebrate the show by finally giving us a high quality output with a huge attention to detail.

• I was thinking that a while ago but i doubt that will happen. They will try to push for release as soon as they can, they aren't gonna wait until the 10th anniversary to release it.

• Yeah, this year is the tenth anniversary, so hopefully…
    But the show takes place in 2017, so there's also that. The Eleventh anniversary.
    Please don't wait for that to give us Akito, though. And please don't let the UK release spoil the dub cast... (really, it's not like the internet doesn't talk about these things. I'm trusting that it's Japan's issue, not FUNi's, but still, they should know.)
    But if UK gets the dub before we get anything, that'll be pirated a billion times, too, and it'll look really, really bad. I already feel like it's some weird shades of 2006, having to wait 5 months and buy $60 import blurays for subtitles. Again, I trust that FUNi knows this and it's Japan's holdup, and honestly, I'd rather everyone takes their time and delivers a higher quality and more complete product, but it's still frustrating...

• @SpacemanHardy:

The same thing happened with the Geneon rescues a few years ago. Some popped up almost immediately, while others such as Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate didn't show up until 3 or 4 years after the announcement had been made.

Really the only thing I can tell you is please be patient. Every show has a different scenario, and they all come with their various levels of restrictions and red tape. We promise that Code Geass will come out one of these days, and it will be as wonderful and glorious as you could ever hope for.

Ironically, Black Lagoon and Hellsing have been two of their biggest anime releases in recent memory, so they should've taken note of this and released Code Geass already. There is clearly very high demand for it, just like Cowboy Bebop.

• They are waiting on Sunrise to send them the material they need. Funimation would have released it if they could.

• I don't think it has to do with Sunrise, I mean how long can it take for Sunrise to send them the originals. It can't be a licensing issue otherwise Funimation wouldn't have posted that announcement all those years ago. It sucks that they still haven't given any news about if they are working to do anything, if anything about releasing Code Geass here in the States. I would buy it Day One but unfortunately I am starting to think Funimation doesn't care about releasing Code Geass (in which case it won't happen).

• I'm pretty sure Funimation would love to sell it to you as quickly as possible

• @TheGreatSage:

I don't think it has to do with Sunrise, I mean how long can it take for Sunrise to send them the originals.

Then what reason then?

Sentai also licensed a number of Sunrise/Bandai titles around the same time, and they have yet to release any of them. (At least Funimation got Cowboy Bebop out).

Perhaps you've forgotten the large number of Geneon Universal titles Funimation licensed years ago that took a long time to begin arriving. This "license and wait" scenario isn't a new one.

• @TheAncientOne:

Then what reason then?

People just like to jump on FUNi's case and blame them for every little thing, even though most of the things they have issue with aren't even FUNi's fault.

In their mind, God forbid their precious Japanese production companies ever act sluggish in releasing the materials on time. Nope! It's obviously all FUNimation's fault. All hail Glorious Nippon and all that. -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

People just like to jump on FUNi's case and blame them for every little thing, even though most of the things they have issue with aren't even FUNi's fault.

In their mind, God forbid their precious Japanese production companies ever act sluggish in releasing the materials on time. Nope! It's obviously all FUNimation's fault. All hail Glorious Nippon and all that. -_-

But if a release is delayed because of the Japanese production company not providing materials on time, or any reason, and Funimation does not inform its customers, how are they supposed to know? Does Funimation think all of it's customers are clairvoyant? This is called transparency, and it is a very important concept in business. If there is an issue with a release and you (Funimation) are aware of it, inform customers of that. Most reasonable people are aware that companies are run by people and people make mistakes, and are willing to forgive a reasonable amount of mistakes (although there have been way too many in Funimation's recent history, and coupling that with a complete lack of transparency does not help Funimation one bit). If you do not believe me, look at this post by LiSA regarding an issue with the release of a single: https://www.facebook.com/lxixsxa.jp/?fref=ts. Do you notice how the only two comments are understanding and not pissy, whiny, or antagonistic? That is because the staff were acknowledging a mistake and providing information about it. Customers appreciate that sort of thing almost as much as they appreciate companies releasing products when they say they will.

Let me be clear, in regards specifically to Code; Geass I do not think Funimation has done anything wrong. It has not scheduled a release date or any kind of timeline for a BD/DVD release (as far as I know) so customers of Funimation have no reasonable expectation of this product being available to them any time soon, so even if Funimation was supposed to have received materials from the production company and haven't yet, Funimation is under no obligation to inform us customers. However, when you (Funimation) does set a release date for something, whether it is a BD/DVD or a simulcast or whatever and are unable to meet that deadline, you do owe it to your customers to provide some information on it.

One final thing, it may not be Funimation's fault for production companies not providing materials, but that does not forgive lack of transparency about scheduled releases. Furthermore, if it really is the cause of a significant portion of the recent delays, then it is Funimation's fault for allowing it to continue. I don't know the particulars of the licensing process for an anime used by Funimation, but I would imagine that they use these things I learned about a long time ago called contracts that spell out what each party is responsible for, including when materials are to be released. The funny part of these contract things is that they provide recourse in the event that one party does not hold up its part of the contract (and if Funimation's doesn't, then they need to get better lawyers). Usually just the threat of recourse will cause a party to follow through on their part of the contract.

• transparency is nice, but really the only thing they can say here is something super vague, and honestly, how many times do you want to hear that? outright blaming the Japanese companies for the delays, in this case Sunrise, is not something they or other R1 Distributor is going to do.

• Even if there are recourse rights to the contract (and there likely are), it might be unwise for Funi, or other NA companies dependent on their Japanese licensors for content, to take action. Angering the hand that feeds and all. Funi and other NA companies are caught between their customers and their content providers. Upsetting either is bad, but upsetting your content provider is a bigger blow.

Other than giving a little advance warning as to delays, specifics aren't going to matter because I don't think there's much they can say.

• @Getchman:

transparency is nice, but really the only thing they can say here is something super vague, and honestly, how many times do you want to hear that? outright blaming the Japanese companies for the delays, in this case Sunrise, is not something they or other R1 Distributor is going to do.

Umm, did you read SH's post right above mine? The one that I quoted? That is exactly what they just did so your last sentence makes no sense. As for the first, it doesn't matter if the reasons are vague. The purpose of transparent statements are to keep customers calm by letting them know that a company is aware of and working on a problem, but more importantly it is an opportunity for a company to apologize. Missing deadlines, even for reasons beyond control, is wrong. I don't know about others, but when I was a kid my mom taught me that if I do something wrong I should apologize.

Finally, it allows them to let customers know if it is a problem that will be fixed soon or not. When a product release date comes, customers for some stupid reason expect it to be available on that day. Crazy, I know. Now, if a release date comes and the product is not available then customers that were looking forward to that product get anxious. With the absence of information, that anxiety grows and and grows until it becomes frustration and finally anger; and anxious, frustrustrated and angry customers are not good for business. Providing even vague information will help quell those emotions. These are pretty basic concepts in business that have been around for hundreds of years if not longer, and I am pretty sure there is at least one person in Funimation that has been to business school so I am not sure why the higher ups at Funimation thinks this one small company is special and these concepts were not going to apply to it, but it is definitely not the case.

EDIT: Here is a real world example in the form of two scenarios. Let's say there is a girl that I really like and ask out on a date. She says yes (yes, this is an extreme hypothetical, I know) and we make plans to meet on Friday at 5 to go to dinner.

Scenario 1: She does not show up at the appointed time, and when I call she does not answer her phone or text. I figure I have been stood up and get pretty upset (less hypothetical at this point). Two days later she calls and says an emergency came up at her job and she had to work Friday night and Saturday, but she still wants to go out on our date and wants to know if tonight will work.

Scenario 2: She texts me on Friday at noon and lets me know about her work and wonders if we can reschedule.

I don't know about any of you but I would very much prefer scenario two to scenario 1.

• I was going to comment but both Getchman and Firefly have pretty much already said it. Companies can't always be transparent, they would rather upset a few people in the short term than risk everything upsetting the Japanese companies.

• Mac, Hardy is not a representative of funimation. Nothing he says here on this forum represents any kind of official statement from them.

• @Getchman:

Mac, Hardy is not a representative of funimation. Nothing he says here on this forum represents any kind of official statement from them.

Not official, no, but it is my understanding that the information he posted did come from Funimation. English is not my first language, but to me it reads like that is an actual scenario that is happening, and a moderator who received that information posted it on a forum that is operated by Funimation on their website so yes, actually, it basically is the same as an official statement from Funimation. If it was a hypothetical statement it should have been phrased as such.