Code Geass: Akito the Exiled - Dubbed version?

• Back in 2013, Sunrise announced that FUNimation had licensed the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVAs. As for why there's not a dubbed version out by now is anyone's guess, but I think it's partially because the OVA's, which have been delayed multiple times, are still being released in Japan. If FUNimation were to dub and release them, then it would be better to release all of them at once.

If a dubbed version were created, here's my thoughts on who should be cast as who:

Akito Hyuga - Micah Solusod
    Layla Malkal - Brina Palencia
    Shin Hyuga Shaingu - Todd Haberkorn

Ryo Sayama - Rob McCollum
    Ayano Kosaka - Jamie Marchi
    Yukiya Naruse - Greg Ayres
    Klaus Warwick - Eric Vale/Chuck Huber
    Oscar Hamel - Christopher Bevins
    Sophie Randall - Lydia Mackay/Colleen Clinkenbeard
    Joe Wise - J. Michael Tatum
    Chloe Winkel - Tia Ballard

Ashley Ashura - Joel McDonald
    Jean Lowe - Kristi Kang
    Gene Smilas - Charles Campbell
    Augusta Henry Highland - John Swasey
    Michele Manfredi - Jason Douglas
    Andrea Farnese - Mike McFarland
    Godfrey de Villon - Christopher Sabat
    Raymond de Saint-Gilles - R. Bruce Elliot
    Michael Augustus - Kent Williams

Suzaku Kururugi - Yuri Lowenthal
    Julius Kinglsey - Johnny Yong Bosch
    C.C. - Kate Higgins

• The tricky part would be getting a hold of Yuri. I'm pretty sure he's a union voice actor, so unless they made the entire production union, they'd have to recast him. Otherwise, I know Kate Higgins is ficore so she should be okay, and they can get Johnny anytime they want.

• If they wanted Yuri Lowenthal to come back and play Suzaku, they probably could work out some solution. I believe Michelle Ruff is part of a union and they managed to get her to reprise Fujiko Mine in Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

If a recast is done, a possible candidate could be Austin Tindle. People on forums have said the both of them have similar voices.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on my choice of cast?

• ^ Michelle is ficore, actually, which is why she was able to reprise her role as Fujiko despite the production not being union.

Yuri on the other hand is union through-and-through, and the only way they were able to get him for the Bayonetta movie was to make the whole thing a union production and record it in California (and partly in London).

• @SpacemanHardy:

Yuri on the other hand is union through-and-through, and the only way they were able to get him for the Bayonetta movie was to make the whole thing a union production and record it in California (and partly in London).

I just recently thought of a solution. How about giving the role of Suzaku to Josh Grelle? Both Yuri and Josh have played similar characters in various different shows.

Also Josh Grelle was supposed to voice Simon in the unreleased ADV-dub of Gurren Lagann. Of course we know ADV lost it and it was dubbed in California, where Yuri Lowenthal voiced Simon. So Josh taking over Suzaku would be funny in hindsight since Yuri took over Simon.

• @SpacemanHardy:

The tricky part would be getting a hold of Yuri. I'm pretty sure he's a union voice actor, so unless they made the entire production union, they'd have to recast him. Otherwise, I know Kate Higgins is ficore so she should be okay, and they can get Johnny anytime they want.

Wait what does ficore mean? Does that mean that work on show for union and non union productions? I know there going to get Johnny Yong Bosch as that just called him at anytime to come in so to speak… I hope that can get Kate Higgins back and she work with Funimation so that should not have issue getting her back... But I would really suck if that could not work out a deal with Yuri Lowenthal??? :(

@kaiser11492:

Back in 2013, Sunrise announced that FUNimation had licensed the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVAs. As for why there's not a dubbed version out by now is anyone's guess, but I think it's partially because the OVA's, which have been delayed multiple times, are still being released in Japan. If FUNimation were to dub and release them, then it would be better to release all of them at once.

If a dubbed version were created, here's my thoughts on who should be cast as who:

Akito Hyuga - Micah Solusod
    Layla Malkal - Brina Palencia
    Shin Hyuga Shaingu - Todd Haberkorn

Ryo Sayama - Rob McCollum
    Ayano Kosaka - Jamie Marchi
    Yukiya Naruse - Greg Ayres
    Klaus Warwick - Eric Vale/Chuck Huber
    Oscar Hamel - Christopher Bevins
    Sophie Randall - Lydia Mackay/Colleen Clinkenbeard
    Joe Wise - J. Michael Tatum
    Chloe Winkel - Tia Ballard

Ashley Ashura - Joel McDonald
    Jean Lowe - Kristi Kang
    Gene Smilas - Charles Campbell
    Augusta Henry Highland - John Swasey
    Michele Manfredi - Jason Douglas
    Andrea Farnese - Mike McFarland
    Godfrey de Villon - Christopher Sabat
    Raymond de Saint-Gilles - R. Bruce Elliot
    Michael Augustus - Kent Williams

Suzaku Kururugi - Yuri Lowenthal
    Julius Kinglsey - Johnny Yong Bosch
    C.C. - Kate Higgins

PLEASE FOR LOVE OF GOD NO COLLEEN CLINKENBEARD… She make me hate Kid/Teen Gohan with here carped of a voices I don't need to hear he again...

• @gohan6425:

PLEASE FOR LOVE OF GOD NO COLLEEN CLINKENBEARD… She make me hate Kid/Teen Gohan with here carped of a voices I don't need to hear he again...

Your dislike and hatred for this one actress, who is actually a really kind and sweet lady who is good at doing what she does still perplexes me. Like you have probably heard her in things OUTSIDE of those two characters that you probably never even realized that was even her.

Back on topic, I have never seen this OVA at all so I cannot predict things, but I at the very least, even if they may be tricky to get back, I really DO hope they are able to get back all the original VAs from the series and make it work out.

• @classyspartan:

Your dislike and hatred for this one actress, who is actually a really kind and sweet lady who is good at doing what she does still perplexes me. Like you have probably heard her in things OUTSIDE of those two characters that you probably never even realized that was even her.

Back on topic, I have never seen this OVA at all so I cannot predict things, but I at the very least, even if they may be tricky to get back, I really DO hope they are able to get back all the original VAs from the series and make it work out.

Kind and Sweet to not change my childhood being f*** with… Screw Gohan voices up... Though it not all on her it was Chris Sabat idea so I will give him some of the blame too... She does NOT even TRY to sound like the way she is suppose to SOUND and that what piss me off about her more... And she now voices even Kid Goku in the new video games and her voices sound I will kid you not sound like Luffy and Gohan and her voices is too HIGH! IT SAME VOICES... Like wtf? That don't sound the same and are not suppose too...

Yes I hope that get all the original VAs back... :)

• ^ First off, watch your language. -_-

Second of all, it's okay if you don't like Colleen's acting, but don't you dare talk bad about her as a person. That woman has done more for the American anime scene than you could even imagine.

• @SpacemanHardy:

^ First off, watch your language. -_-

Second of all, it's okay if you don't like Colleen's acting, but don't you dare talk bad about her as a person. That woman has done more for the American anime scene than you could even imagine.

Where did I talk bad about her as a person? :hmm: And sorry for the language I keep forgetting to change it something better that not as bad of a word…

Also back to this question:

@SpacemanHardy:

The tricky part would be getting a hold of Yuri. I'm pretty sure he's a union voice actor, so unless they made the entire production union, they'd have to recast him. Otherwise, I know Kate Higgins is ficore so she should be okay, and they can get Johnny anytime they want.

Wait what does ficore mean? Does that mean that work on show for union and non union productions? I know there going to get Johnny Yong Bosch as that just called him at anytime to come in so to speak… I hope that can get Kate Higgins back and she work with Funimation so that should not have issue getting her back... But I would really suck if that could not work out a deal with Yuri Lowenthal??? :(

• @gohan6425:

Ficore essentially means a union-eligable actor accepts non-union work. A lot of LA voice actors are ficore.

• @AbZeroNow:

Ficore essentially means a union-eligable actor accepts non-union work. A lot of LA voice actors are ficore.

Oh so basic that can do both ok…

• @gohan6425:

Wait what does ficore mean? Does that mean that work on show for union and non union productions?

Basically, yes. It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Basically, yes. It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

So I take it Funimation does not do Union Productions then?

• @gohan6425:

So I take it Funimation does not do Union Productions then?

not in Texas, its not allowed

• @Getchman:

True. However, sometimes Funimation does fund union dubs that are recorded in Los Angeles. Recent examples of this are The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (which was recorded entirely in Todd Haberkorn's personal home studio) and Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (which was recorded in both LA and London by New Generation Pictures).

• @Getchman:

Why is it not alot in Texas?

@SpacemanHardy:

True. However, sometimes Funimation does fund union dubs that are recorded in Los Angeles. Recent examples of this are The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (which was recorded entirely in Todd Haberkorn's personal home studio) and Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (which was recorded in both LA and London by New Generation Pictures).

Funimation does Dub's outside of there in houses?

• @gohan6425:

Why is it not alot in Texas?

Texas is what you call a "free-to-work" state.

In short, unions are literally illegal in Texas. Hence why most union actors don't show up in Funimation dubs.

@gohan6425:

Funimation does Dub's outside of there in houses?

Indeed they do. In addition to the two shows I listed above, they also recently dubbed BlazBlue: Alter Memory at Patrick Seitz's own personal studio. And they even gave Attack on Titan: Junior High a broadcast dub by recording simultaneously in Dallas, Houston, AND LA.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Texas is what you call a "free-to-work" state.

In short, unions are literally illegal in Texas. Hence why most union actors don't show up in Funimation dubs.

WTF? There really know unions in Texas? How can that even be legal? :hmm:

• i like it if Dallas takes a swing at Code Geass.

• . . . if there's a chance they may record it in CA, that throws all of our predictions out of the window.

I honestly sort of hope they don't, though… a lot of CA dubs recently haven't been as good as what FUNi does when they put time and effort into things (e.g. Black Butler Book of Circus). (Except for K, obviously - best dub since the original Geass series). I haven't watched Yuki-chan, though, but I need to, since I love Haruhi stuff. See if that was any good. It probably was, just because of who's involved... There are hit-or-miss voice actors, but then there's that cast. I doubt they could do a bad job if they tried.

But I would rather see them recast Suzaku than have it sound like... some of the stuff from CA recently (not naming names).