Fairy tail part 17

• Part 17 episodes 188-199 out on blu ray dvd combo 10/6/15. Link http://shop.funimation.com/Part-Seventeen.

• Aw, no episode 200? If only they made an exception with the 12-episode rule.

• @coynime:

Part 17 episodes 188-199 out on blu ray dvd combo 10/6/15. Link http://shop.funimation.com/Part-Seventeen.

is that for the dvd internet and tv or will it be available to the internet and tv before then?

• @littletrunks:

is that for the dvd internet and tv or will it be available to the internet and tv before then?

That's the DVD/BD release date, but you can expect the episodes to be uploaded to the website for subscribers about 2 weeks before that date.

• But why are the OVAs still stuck in Japan!? Come on, Funimation! License them! We wanna hear the OVAs dubbed!

• ^ OVAs are very often very tricky to license. Many times the rights are owned by a different company than the ones who own the TV show, and those companies might not want to license the rights out for one reason or another.

Yes, believe it or not even in this day and age, sometimes the Japanese won't let us have things simply because they don't want us to have them.

• @iamshodan:

But why are the OVAs still stuck in Japan!? Come on, Funimation! License them! We wanna hear the OVAs dubbed!

These ones? http://myanimelist.net/anime/9982/Fairy_Tail_OVA

I don't know of any situations where anime companies have released OVAs that were manga limited edition bundle exclusives in Japan, likely because of licensing difficulties.

Kodansha USA is bringing the Attack on Titan OVAs, or at least Ilse's Notebook for now, to the US (sub-only DVDs bundled with the manga, same as Japan), so they might do the same for Fairy Tail and other series if those sell well. And that Kodansha is releasing the OVAs and not Funimation indicates to me that Funimation simply wasn't able to license them, for whatever reason, since I doubt they'd let the OVAs to such a popular show slip away if they could have gotten them.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Yes, believe it or not even in this day and age, sometimes the Japanese won't let us have things simply because they don't want us to have them.

That's just downright mean!

@Firefly:

Kodansha USA is bringing the Attack on Titan OVAs, or at least Ilse's Notebook for now, to the US (sub-only DVDs bundled with the manga, same as Japan), so they might do the same for Fairy Tail and other series if those sell well.

I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but Fairy Tail seems to be selling pretty well to me.

• @iamshodan:

I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but Fairy Tail seems to be selling pretty well to me.

I was referring to the Titan OVAs selling well, because if something as hugely popular as Titan can't pull in good numbers for these OVAs then what are the chances for other series?

• @iamshodan:

But why are the OVAs still stuck in Japan!?

A good way to go about OVAs is figuring out where the OVA comes from. For things that appear as a bonus episode on the DVD/BD releases in Japan, those seem to be fairly easy to license as they are already included as part of the complete season. For OVAs bundled along with special limited editions of manga, light novels, or video games, they seem to be much more difficult to license or are otherwise unobtainable, probably because a different company owns the rights to "sell" the OVA, which makes licensing very difficult

In Fairy Tail's case, each OVA was bundled with special editions of the manga, meaning it's either extremely difficult or outright impossible to negotiate for its North American rights. There could be any number of reasons why this is the case, but on that end I can't really do anything other than speculate

The short prequel to the Fairy Tail movie is a notable exception, but it does come with its own set of caveats itself. The prequel was included as part of a DVD with the movie proper for people who purchased the special edition of volume 36 of the manga, which probably made it easier to bundle together for FUNimation's release. But even then, the prequel wasn't dubbed, which might mean there were some restrictions in place for the exclusive short

At any rate, the point is that WHERE the OVA comes from is very important. If it's an exclusive part of a limited edition intended for a limited number of fans, it doesn't really make much sense to allow other places to mass produce it, so that might be why it's very difficult to get them outside of Japan

(Of course, this line of thinking is most certainly not the end all, be all, so you've got to keep an open mind either way. Inari Kon Kon's OVA was a limited edition bundle with the manga, but FUNimation got its rights for the physical release. I'm sure there are examples for the opposite as well)

• Is there any word on what the special features for Part 17 will be? Like the commentaries or any other features?

• Funimation just released a trailer for Part 17.