Discotek Discussion Thread

• I could have sworn that we already had a thread for this, but I must have been thinking about the old forum. At any rate, discuss to your heart's content the upcoming releases from fellow anime company, Discotek!

And speaking of releases, check out some of the new stuff they just announced on Facebook today!

Lupin the 3rd: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis
    Dragon Half OVA
    DNA2: Complete Series
    Fatal Fury OVAs

There could be more to come, so stay tuned! I'm hoping for more Lupin and maybe a release date for the Dr. Slump movie boxes myself.

• I could see myself picking up Dragon Half as long as the price is reasonable. Besides who could resist that ending theme…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQf45wFfB4s

• Sweet.

DNA2: Complete Series

I could see I''s fans expressing interest. (if I knew of any :3 )

• I know, where oh where would you EVER find an I"s fan around here? :P …Actually, seriously, where are they? I feel lonely.

I'm honestly really surprised about it too. Video Girl Ai was pretty popular back in the day I believe (and Viz really needs to pull it out of their library and re-release it or let it go to someone else already), but DNA2 is probably even less well known than I"s is, since we didn't even get it's manga over here. Here's hoping the Discotek version's footage looks better than the old CPM singles.

• So glad Dragon-Half got saved. And always nice to see more Lupin III! Discotek. Never stop being awesome.

• Hard to believe ADV let go of Dragon Half willingly. Might consider replacing my CPM set of DNA^2.

• I dislike Discotek with a burning passion. I've seen bootleg dvds with higher quality packaging.

They mutilated anime classics like Goldenboy and now GTO. I do not wish them well and will not buy from them until they decide that quality is "job 1". Even then, I would prefer Sentai/Maiden Japan or Funi to pick up these releases.

• Welp. Your lose sidereal. Not buying because the wrapper is plain when the candy inside is still good. Pretty fickle/spoiled mindset if you ask me .

• @Soundmonkey44:

Welp. Your lose sidereal. Not buying because the wrapper is plain when the candy inside is still good. Pretty fickle/spoiled mindset if you ask me .

Eh, I gotta side with Sidereal on this one. Sure actual content and video quality is important, but the anime I buy is going to spend 99% of its life sitting on my shelf, not in my Blu-ray player. I expect them to look nice when up there as well.

• @sidereal_presence:

I dislike Discotek with a burning passion. I've seen bootleg dvds with higher quality packaging.

They mutilated anime classics like Goldenboy and now GTO. I do not wish them well and will not buy from them until they decide that quality is "job 1". Even then, I would prefer Sentai/Maiden Japan or Funi to pick up these releases.

Yes, nevermind the awesome toy inside, let's all focus on the box it comes in!!

I find it ironic that you blast Discotek because of their packaging, yet you praise Sentai & Maiden Japan, who also cut a lot of corners on their bare-bones packaging. Heck, Sentai has even resorted to using the dreaded stackpack cases for some of their releases, something Discotek has, to my knowledge, yet to do.

• @Renzo: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend, and let's be honest, very seldom is box art for any release anything special, crept on maybe LEs, and even then it's not perfect, not buying a title over something as superficial as the box art is a prime testament to how spoiled/entitled fans are these days. Hell we should be grateful any of these titles are even being brought back to the market.

• Plus you can create your own cover art/box art after you buy it.

• I'm kind of middle ground on this. I do appreciate a nice looking box, and definitely prefer them to be sturdy (one thing I hate about getting stuff at Wal-mart anymore is their 'eco-cases' being flimsy as hell), but in the end, it's about the product itself. And that's why I love Discotek almost as much as I love FUNimation at this point (which is saying a lot) - they're quickly becoming the go-to company for classic anime. No other company has given Lupin the 3rd it's due as well as they have.

• I’m somewhat on the fence about this; I understand what really matters is the content of the product and the case is nothing more than a superficial package. I mean, some of my favorite anime come in generic Blu-ray cases; High School of the Dead, both Queen’s Blade series, and I have media Blasters and Sentai to thank for that. I give it that all these covers have nice art, the Queen’s Blade came with tons of special features and Rebellion also had a soundtrack to round it all off.

However, this is where I have to agree with Renzokuken and Sidereal in the sense that a snazzy case is the cheery on top; in a way, I feel that a generic case kind of cheapens the product somewhat. There’s a good reason why anytime I go to buy a major movie I go straight to Future Shop; they have those really cool Steel Book Limited Editions; and their exclusive only to Future Shop.

There are times where I go for the generic case for a movie if it’s a situation where there’s a great deal; I got most of the Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray, with the DVD and iTunes digital copy for $10 apiece; under those circumstances, I don’t expect elaborate, or fancy, just the basics.

Moving on though, I find it funny how my excitement for my Fate/Zero order was increased when I saw the case design and all the cool extras they give you. I also recall those old special Funimation cases that had really cool booklets, an elaborate case, and now, we have the art boxes; which are nice mind you and I understand doing it that way lowers the production costs. However, some have loads of special features, others not so much, then some of them don’t look so hot; the spine on the Stein’s; Gate case makes the series look like it’s bootlegged.

Now the thing is, this doesn’t make the general fandom spoiled or entitled; I mean, what’s so bad about wanting value for your money?

Here’s a test for everyone, have a good look:

These are pictures of my Star Wars Clone Wars sets; season 1 compared to season 5; they eventually got lame with the case designs. Now, it’s not a big deal, but when they set a standard, I expect some degree of consistency with the overall product presentation. The season 1 case looks way more enticing and inviting in comparison to the season 5 case.

By the way, I finally watched Dragon Half, I’ve had the ADV version in my collection for years and never got around to watching it; good show.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Yes, nevermind the awesome toy inside, let's all focus on the box it comes in!!

I find it ironic that you blast Discotek because of their packaging, yet you praise Sentai & Maiden Japan, who also cut a lot of corners on their bare-bones packaging. Heck, Sentai has even resorted to using the dreaded stackpack cases for some of their releases, something Discotek has, to my knowledge, yet to do.

When the box lacks quality I have to question the quality of what's inside. If they're slacking on the box then I fear that the disc labels might be prone to peeling or that problems with reading the disc might arise.

I don't like the stack-pak. I wish Sentai wouldn't use them, though I haven't gotten one in a while (and I have a stock of "paged" cases to use in case I ever get more stack packs again). However, I have yet to see a Sentai Filmworks release for sale in a dealers' room and remark to myself that it looks like a bootleg, only to find that it was indeed the genuine article; their release of Goldenboy has a cover that looks as though it had been printed by a home inkjet printer. In addition to not wanting the shame of having a low-quality dvd box on my shelf, one of the things I do with my DVD/BD covers is get them autographed. I don't want to rack up autographs on less durable paper and I don't want to chance con guests to be o.0 because they think I'm asking them to sign a bootleg.

• Just a heads-up, but the recent Blu-ray release of Blue Sub #6 uses the Toonami-edited dialogue: changes.

• @EyeOfPain:

Just a heads-up, but the recent Blu-ray release of Blue Sub #6 uses the Toonami-edited dialogue: changes.

As if another reason were needed to dislike Discotek…

• Discotek is awesome. One flub does not a company ruin. Sides the Toonami version is the only. One I ever saw back in the day. So no big deal to me.

Seriously though sidereal, is it even humanly possible for you to say something positive or has that part of your psyche completely died!? Not being an ass, genuinely curious because EVERY single post you make is negative.

• @EyeOfPain:

Just a heads-up, but the recent Blu-ray release of Blue Sub #6 uses the Toonami-edited dialogue: changes.

Is there an option for the uncut masters. If not, then WTF.

• From what I've heard, the video itself is unedited. It's only the English dub that retains the Toonami dialog.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Seriously though sidereal, is it even humanly possible for you to say something positive or has that part of your psyche completely died!? Not being an ass, genuinely curious because EVERY single post you make is negative.

No no don't stop him, just set up a drinking game where every time he complains about a dub not being just perfect, something being non-shonen, or a company that (dear god) releases an anime without a dub have a drink.

You'll be drunk in no time.