Free! First Season?

• **I know FUNimation has the second season to Free! (Eternal Summer) but I was wondering if it was possible to stream the first season (Iwatobi Swim Club)? I didn't think FUNimation had it, but then I was reading a thread a little ways down where people were arguing about the quality of the first season. Can I watch it on FUNimation.com?

Thanks!**

• Nope, Crunchryoll has the rights to the first season for both streaming and home video. They sub-licensed the home video rights (or something) to Discotek who then released it as a sub-only DVD.

• As of this point in time, Funimation does not own the rights to Free's First Season.

Crunchyroll had DVD rights to the series and upon a partnership with Discotek Media, released Free! Season 1 Sub-Only on DVD.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/02/04/crunchyroll-and-discotek-media-partner-for-home-video-release-of-select-titles

As for IF Funimation and them would NEGOTIATE:

"Discotek on the possibility of an English dub for Free! S1: "There may be an English dubbed version released in the future after this subtitled edition is out. No details yet on the possible dubbed version or who will release it yet."

• As for the reason why Crunchyroll went with Discotek more than likely had to do with them not having a competitive Streaming Service (Unlike Funimation or Sentai Filmworks (Anime Network) ). Also if they had went with Funimation then Funimation would have wanted to at least be able to stream the dub of S1 here (Since they would be fronting the money for the dub, it's not an unreasonable request to be able to stream the dub of S1 @ Funimation.com) and Crunchyroll probably didn't want them to have a title that Funimation didn't really negotiate for in the first place.

Free! didn't really have a lot of hype behind it and only got popular after it was out, so Funimation probably didn't put a whole lot of effort into getting Season 1, but went after S2 after the series got popular.

• It's worth noting that season 1 was released in May as sub-only DVD. It also specified on the cover that it was the subbed release, something that the other shows (ImoCho, Galilei, etc) do not have on their cover. No idea yet if that's them simply acknowledging that season 2 has a dub, or if they're planning on having a dubbed release in the future

• Wow! Thanks everyone! Maybe FUNimation will get the first season in the future, but if not there are so many other titles from FUNimation I can enjoy!

• after hearing how bad the dub is maybe its better that they had a japanese language english subtitled version o-o

• @otaku-gunso:

after hearing how bad the dub is maybe its better that they had a japanese language english subtitled version o-o

The dub isn't really that bad. People are just still salty over Tatum's script as well as Todd and Vic being in it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

The dub isn't really that bad. People are just still salty over Tatum's script as well as Todd and Vic being in it.

Hmm…while I may not watch the entire second season, I may have to check out the first episode to see if it is indeed as bad as people say. My suspicion is that it is not. People love to complain.

• @otaku-gunso:

after hearing how bad the dub is maybe its better that they had a japanese language english subtitled version o-o

You DO realize that that's basically the version of it that exists already. Besides once the DVD comes out it's gonna come with the show subtitled already. That's how literally ALL of Funimation's, nay, how 95% of ALL DVDs and Blu-Rays with Dubs included do. Come with a subtitled option.

Also Free fans in general just seem pretty salt about this dub for really no reason at all.