With the new anime shows out and posted ..

• With the new anime shows out and posted wondering when will the dubbed broadcast be announced. I would think , the north american market would provide comparative value in having more dubbed anime readily on demand. From a bottom line perspective 😉

• This season's new broadcast dubs should be announced in about four weeks, around the same time that the dubs for Assassination Classroom, Seraph of the End, and Blood Blockade Battlefront all conclude.

• @quadenabrown:

I would think , the north american market would provide comparative value in having more dubbed anime readily on demand

But… four weeks for broadcast dubs vs. the year it takes for things to get dubbed and thrown on Toonami or released on BluRay to us... Definitely more readily on demand than it has been in the past. Hell, FUNi got Resurrection 'F' to screen in America before it did in Japan and they are now involved in the production of another show. They have been going above and beyond what fans expected as of late, so I think we need to take our time and appreciate all they've been doing and let them grow at a reasonable pace that is comfortable for them.

• @stronkadonk:

But… four weeks for broadcast dubs vs. the year it takes for things to get dubbed and thrown on Toonami or released on BluRay to us... Definitely more readily on demand than it has been in the past. Hell, FUNi got Resurrection 'F' to screen in America before it did in Japan and they are now involved in the production of another show. They have been going above and beyond what fans expected as of late, so I think we need to take our time and appreciate all they've been doing and let them grow at a reasonable pace that is comfortable for them.

That's not true, Resurrection 'F' was still shown in Japan first, the early screenings showed before the Sub premiere.

• It's a mixed bag that dubbing is more profitable. There are a lot of diehard fans that prefer to watch in Japanese with English subtitles, while others (like myself) prefer to watch the dub for shear convenience. Based on conversations I've had with anime fans in the past, it's almost not profitable to dub anime because the ones I spoke to preferred the Japanese audio track anyways. I call them purists for that reason, but often I disagree based on the fact that I want to admire the artwork rather than the text.

A few years ago there was a lawsuit that brought out all sorts of licensing numbers, which licensing can range dramatically anywhere from $20k upwards to millions, which at no point is there a guaranteed hit on your hands (as was the case with Azumanga Daioh and Love Hina). With the fees where they are you generally have to sell an absurdly high number of copies to even come close to breaking even. Once you factor in the dubbing, translations and behind the scenes work the cost of dubbing increases even further. I don't know how Funimation pays their voice actors, but if they're paying SAG rates then actors can make a minimum of $889 for up to 3 characters in a single session. Most anime are ensemble casts of 6+ characters and 12+ episodes… in short these rates add up really quickly and Funimation needs to be certain that the show will be profitable prior to any commitments.

Over the years, the factors that companies use to select anime for dubbing have changed and they have always been a proprietary calculation, but my guess is they use a combination of online hype (Kotaku, IGN, ANN, etc. coverage) and their streaming statistics to determine what to dub.

My apologies... I'm sure this was more technical than you were expecting, but it's interesting to speculate the numbers ^_^;;

• Thanks everyone for all your opinions …some where really helpful information😊 funimation has done allot of great work but there is always room for opportunity. I expect it will get better as the otaku culture grows and expands ...see you all in anime land lol 👧