Free! Iwatobi swim club's dub was a mistake

• The dub is awful literally the worst dub ive ever heard in my entire life i cannot even begin to describe how much i hate this dub the voice actors did an awful job the names are pronounced horribly in literally every other sentence is the word "dude" or "bro" or "man" they say the cheesiest things none of it sounds like anything the characters have said in the subbed version the choice for voice actors was horrible for all of them i cringed throughout the entire thing and i could only sit through so much. Its the worst dub i could ever experience and free is an amazing and beautiful anime and the voices of these main characters are an important aspect that was completely and utterly ruined with this english dub i am so disappointed

• …......k

• @furryking999:

The dub is awful literally the worst dub ive ever heard in my entire life i cannot even begin to describe how much i hate this dub the voice actors did an awful job the names are pronounced horribly in literally every other sentence is the word "dude" or "bro" or "man" they say the cheesiest things none of it sounds like anything the characters have said in the subbed version the choice for voice actors was horrible for all of them i cringed throughout the entire thing and i could only sit through so much. Its the worst dub i could ever experience and free is an amazing and beautiful anime and the voices of these main characters are an important aspect that was completely and utterly ruined with this english dub i am so disappointed

You are so right dude. Let's forget this excuse for a dub and boycott all the shows FUNimation has dubbed over the years…

Dude. Just shut up! No one cares for your opinion. If you don't like it, just keep quiet about it and walk away.

• @Sharksmart1:

Dude. Just shut up! No one cares for your opinion. If you don't like it, just keep quiet about it and walk away.

That's no way to be. He's free to express his opinion, and you're free to disagree with him.

• If this is honestly the worst dub you've ever heard, then you really haven't watched much anime in your lifetime. :hmm:

By the way, how exactly are you watching this dub? You're not showing up as a subscriber. Just so you know, if you're watching it through an illegal streaming site and not on FUNimation.com, you officially veto any and all right to complain about it. -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

If this is honestly the worst dub you've ever heard, then you really haven't watched much anime in your lifetime. :hmm:

why does that matter?

• I've only seen the trailer and while I don't like Haru's voice that's my only problem for now. It sounds pretty okay to me.

I have heard some complaints about the script though.

@Sharksmart1:

So if somebody doesn't like something they're not allowed to say so? This show is clearly important to the OP, telling them to shut up because they're disappointed with the dub (or have a different opinion) is rather rude.

• @Firefly:

that's the biggest problem the dub. Tatum was a poor choice for script writer

• I watched the first episode, and I LIKED it. I don't see why everyone is so negative about this.

• @Firefly:

I've only seen the trailer and while I don't like Haru's voice that's my only problem for now.

Yeah. I don't think Haru's voice fits. Clifford Chapin would have been my preferred choice. Other than that everyone else sounds totally fine to me

@Firefly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSv2Km2Ygg

• @Riles:

clip

Well that comparison hardly inspires confidence…

• thankfully they don't bro that much, and there are some dudes mixed in, but Tatum really has no idea how normal people talk, especially kids.

• @Getchman:

thankfully they don't bro that much, and there are some dudes mixed in, but Tatum really has no idea how normal people talk, especially kids.

Yeah, but what's he supposed to do? Have them curse every other sentence? The cultural differences are part of why I prefer the Japanese dub for SoL anime.

• @7jaws7:

Yeah, but what's he supposed to do? Have them curse every other sentence? The cultural differences are part of why I prefer the Japanese dub for SoL anime.

that would just be worse. The obvious thing would be to have them talking as they have been presented to us. simple, single minded boys with swimming on the brain, and in Nagisa's case, kinda stupid. Japanese as well. he's going to have them talking all fancy and I'm pretty sure at some point, one of them will pull out some classical lit quote. Miho is the only one who should do that, it's her job. I don't think this would be difficult show to wrote for, its a show about swimming,, there isn't a cultural barrier to work around in this

just to be clear, this doesn't bother me. I never took this show seriously, and I personally think its hilarious to hear them say things completely out of character.

• @Getchman:

thankfully they don't bro that much, and there are some dudes mixed in, but Tatum really has no idea how normal people talk, especially kids.

Oh, it was him? No wonder the script looks bad. The only dub with a Tatum script I've heard that isn't cringeworthy is Steins;Gate, because "snarky twentysomething nerd" is the only character type he seems to be able to write for and that's basically the entire Steins;Gate cast. On the other hand, the time I tried watching the dub of episode 1 of Attack on Titan… yikes. The reason that show works is because for the most part it takes itself dead seriously, and having Whedon-lite dialogue every 30 seconds just wrecks it.

I love the guy and I think he's a great voice actor and human being, and he seems like an articulate and well-read guy, so it baffles me how his dub scripts are just, like, the worst, but they are.

• @Sporkaganza:

his dub scripts are just, like, the worst, but they are.

And you would be wrong.

Deadman Wonderland
    Fractale
    Is this a Zombie?
    Future Diary
    Shangri-La
    D-Frag
    Steins;Gate
    Ouran High School Host Club

Yeah, at least half his stuff is pretty damn good…

• ^ I know a LOOOOOOOOT of people who would argue with you over whether the Future Diary script was good.

• it's not so bad when he has a cowriter to reign him in, which I suspect is why Deadman, Ouran, and Zombie have good scripts and those 4 episodes with Tyson Reinhart co wiring with him on AoT. Haven't seen Fractle or Shangri La, so i cant comment on that. I was honestly surprised with D-Frag. he did an admirable job of controlling himself and it only escaped a few times, mostly when Ataru was talking. I tried my best to watch Future Diary again when the dub came out, but between the show being awful and Tatum's script, couldn't get past ep 10

• Ok, maybe I'd budge on Future Diary, but even taking that out, the list is still about half. and there's a few not mentioned I haven't seen, AND holding a bias against Negima, which I just didn't care for (though I wouldn't say the script had anything to do with it).

so it could even be more.

• Wow I thought they just used english subs like star driver and neo angelique abyss. I had no idea they actually attempted to dub it.

• Hey, everytime tiem I brochat with one of my bros we always call each other bro when we brofist and go to eat a chili-cheese Brodog. Good times bro, good times. I don't know what these other young bros be doing when it's brotime.

Although, just to let you bros know, we sometimes call each other brah.