Tell me which looks better

• The new trailer for Fairy Tail Part 16 has been released. Let it be known that there are actually two versions of the anime: the simulcast version (which the DVD trailer shows) and the Japanese DVD version. Tell me which looks better:

The simulcast/English DVD trailer version…

Or the Japanese DVD version?

And one other question: Why?

• The JP DVD. The characters' faces and the lines/details are much better. It's not unusual. Lots of DVD/BD releases have better/touched up art compared to the TV versions.

It is a little disappointing that Funi appears to be using the TV version.

• EDIT: Nevermind, listen to what CJ says. She's the boss. ~_^

• We're already looking into this. :) I didn't want to post anything until I heard back, but I'd prefer if we kept this single-contact at this point.

Thanks!

• @CJ:

We're already looking into this. :) I didn't want to post anything until I heard back, but I'd prefer if we kept this single-contact at this point.

Thanks!

Understood. And I apologize for sounding like a spoiled, self-entitled, passive aggressive fan boy. I'm glad it's getting a quality dub, but I also want it to look as good as it sounds.

• Nah, you're fine. :) We want to know about things like this. Thanks for posting!

• Can you confirm where you took this screenshot? (trailer on youtube, trailer on our site, trailer on a different site, etc)

• @CJ:

Can you confirm where you took this screenshot? (trailer on youtube, trailer on our site, trailer on a different site, etc)

Actually, it was a raw screenshot I found, coupled with a screenshot from a Japanese commercial. I happened upon them in the Disqus comments on a certain blog, which was posted a year ago: http://www.anime-evo.net/2014/07/12/fairy-tail-2-15/#disqus_thread

• So… this isn't something that was gotten from a FUNimation source at all, just a comparison shot of the difference between the broadcast release and the Japanese DVD release?

• The image in question is in the trailer on the website.

• So– first and foremost, we've checked and the materials that we have for this release are the correct, home video release materials.

Occasionally, it's possible that a trailer might correctly contain footage from the broadcast release of the show, depending on materials, but if you do notice a discrepancy in the future, it's always better to report it! We definitely want to catch any errors before they happen. The best way to report an issue like this is by making a ticket. Because issues like this are multi-department things, a ticket reason is sometimes difficult for these. If you want, I would be happy to make sure that your ticket has gone to the right place, if you will PM me once you make the ticket about an issue like this one. Much like billing issues, I can't always help address the issue, but I can at least let you know the status of your inquiry. ^_^

To answer the core question of this-- the broadcast version vs the home video version happens on most shows. The production value is a little lower for TV as they have to make the episodes quite quickly and then they will clean up the frames for the home video version. Although I suppose that there's a chance in the future that we would have a different arrangement with a licensor, we currently have always INTENDED to release the home video version of the anime for our home video release.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

• @CJ:

if those screenshots aren't actually FROM the trailer, I'm less concerned. :)

That specific image isn't from the trailer, but the broadcast version is definitely part of the trailer

You can tell it's the broadcast version most obviously with Juvia's eyes and Gajeel's lack of facial piercings

I'm not saying the trailer uses the same materials as the physical release, but the trailer, at the very least, has scenes that are not from the home release

• Okay, editing that part of my post, then. ;)

All of the rest of the information is factual and correct. ^_^

• @CJ:

So… this isn't something that was gotten from a FUNimation source at all, just a comparison shot of the difference between the broadcast release and the Japanese DVD release?

Correct. The image URL I used (https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1151/4814/original.jpg) was used over a year ago, so while the image is the same, it wasn't taken directly from the trailer.

@CJ:

So– first and foremost, we've checked and the materials that we have for this release are the correct, home video release materials.

Occasionally, it's possible that a trailer might correctly contain footage from the broadcast release of the show, depending on materials, but if you do notice a discrepancy in the future, it's always better to report it! We definitely want to catch any errors before they happen. The best way to report an issue like this is by making a ticket. Because issues like this are multi-department things, a ticket reason is sometimes difficult for these. If you want, I would be happy to make sure that your ticket has gone to the right place, if you will PM me once you make the ticket about an issue like this one. Much like billing issues, I can't always help address the issue, but I can at least let you know the status of your inquiry. ^_^

To answer the core question of this-- the broadcast version vs the home video version happens on most shows. The production value is a little lower for TV as they have to make the episodes quite quickly and then they will clean up the frames for the home video version. Although I suppose that there's a chance in the future that we would have a different arrangement with a licensor, we currently have always INTENDED to release the home video version of the anime for our home video release.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

So what you're saying is the American DVD version and the Japanese DVD version are (or at least should be) one and the same? That's great to hear. But just to be sure, here's a Chinese blog that has even more comparisons between the TV and DVD versions. Note that the images are small and low-res, and some of them switch sides, but I'd say the differences are quite clear: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3532608050?see_lz=1

In fact, here are just a few samples taken from that site (home release on left, TV on right):

• @SpacemanHardy:

EDIT: Nevermind, listen to what CJ says. She's the boss. ~_^

huh, always thought CJ was a dude

• I am whatever you want me to be. ;)

• @CJ:

I am whatever you want me to be. ;)

Whoa

!

• DVD version. Now, quick question: which version are we going to get? I watch the trailer and I… think.. we're getting the TV version? What the hell, Funimation?

• @iamshodan:

DVD version. Now, quick question: which version are we going to get? I watch the trailer and I… think.. we're getting the TV version? What the hell, Funimation?

You know what I think? I think you need to read the previous posts in this topic. :hmm:

• You're right. I do.

• Did they do this with Future Diary? They released the subs for the censored version for television and the dubs for the uncensored version for DVD. I think.