The disappearance of another Haruhi Suzamiya toon.

• Don't get me wrong….I love TMOHS and TDOHS. All of it. Even the movies were well done. The thing that gets me is that there are so many deserving series out there that are not getting any consideration for second seasons or movies. Now we have the series based on the disappearance of the Nagato toon. I would have gone for the redhead. (but that's just me)

Examples of anime that needs a second look:

Cowboy Bebop....
    Sol Bianca
    Appregio of Blue Steel....(that one REALLY needs some 'splainin to do Lucy!!)

I could go on...but if nobody cares or responds to this then I won't have wasted too much of my time.

Your thoughts?

• Arpeggio continued with two movies - one aired in January, and the other airs in October. I'm not sure what you mean by a second look

• Cowboy Bebop doesn't need another movie or season. its fine the way it ended.

• Well …. ending "fine" doesn't keep it in the vault. Last Exile ended fine. When something ends "fine" that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see more sometime down the road. What makes some series get years of franchise, and others don't. Is there a formula? Market response?

I don't know. But....Hey.....it's all fun to watch.

Thanks for your time

• As for a "second look" at Cowboy Bebop…..

! …You DO know Spike is dead, right? :hmm:

• Faye can carry Bebop on her shoulders.

If Watanabe ever gets around to it.

• response to spoiler:…lots of other characters to expand on.......

And Faye was a hoot....Loved that character. Edward was fun to watch as well. This question was asked of Watanabe "will there be more bebop"? And the answer was "maybe, if I think I can make it better."
    ( can't remember where I read that..so I can't back that up, but I'm sure I've seen that conversation) So if yall wanna gig me for memory pull down, that's ok. In the interim I'll be searching for Watanabe's response to press so I can shore up my reply.

• Bebop is nearing 20 years of age. Maybe Watanabe has something in mind for an anniversary project, but other than that I doubt we'll be seeing more.

I'm also in the camp thinking that it's fine the way it is.

• OK…I think we may be getting just a tad off track. I gave a few examples of what I personally thought would nice to see more of. My question is what makes some projects get more attention than others. I appreciate that there are those who's idea of exactly what needs a "second look" are varied, however I don't want to belabor any particular show other than why or why not it would get more commercial exposure. Are there any predictors? Signs in the mud? Tea leaves? What makes that tick?

And a "second look" is exactly that. A second look. The first phase of any project whether it's a prequel, sequel, movie, novel...whatever. Sorry I didn't clear that up earlier. It would be hard to build something without looking at it.

On a side note...I got such a kick out of Bebop. It brings back some great memories of watching parties with friends. We had a bbq for the movie, and watched it on a projector in the back yard with surround sound. THAT was fun. So...yeah...if Bebop were to come back in some form, I'd bite, even if I thought it were resting in peace.

But you guys can talk about what you want to . If Bebop remaining "in the vault" is your only reason for responding...then be my guest. I'm glad to hear from ya.

• @jleverto1701:

Are there any predictors? Signs in the mud? Tea leaves? What makes that tick?

Prior financial success (disc sales, merch sales, boost in source material sales), current popularity/market trends (for older super-popular shows like DBZ and Sailor Moon, nostalgia factor too), whether or not the people in charge want to make more, interested investors, if there's more source material to adapt (if applicable), etc

• Now THAT is a good group of factors. This is a business after all. IF something does poorly, then there's not much hope of it seeing the light of day ever again. BUT…Those projects (I'll let you fill in your favorite list) that do really well right out of the box are a mystery. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said: @Firefly:

whether or not the people in charge want to make more

I wonder if there is a way to look at the sales data globally. I guess that depends on who the outlet was, and how accessible their sales info is. I have noticed that the dynamic is changing on the funding side….more are going to the web for funding like GoFundME and others. Fruit Of grisaia (did I spell that right?) got its funding from the web. Or at lease the majority of it. IF that's the case then merchandise would just be icing. But still a big factor in pulling in private money.

• @jleverto1701:

I wonder if there is a way to look at the sales data globally.

Worldwide sales will have very little impact on the total sales in Japan. It's a pretty niche market anywhere, and I suspect putting every other region together still wouldn't be enough to really influence Japanese sales

@jleverto1701:

Fruit Of grisaia (did I spell that right?) got its funding from the web. Or at lease the majority of it. IF that's the case then merchandise would just be icing. But still a big factor in pulling in private money.

Crowdsourcing is becoming more and more of an option these days, but for stuff like The Fruit of Grisaia, it's important to note that its particular funding for its North American Steam release only came up once the game itself had been licensed for distribution here

It may not be too much longer before anime itself is crowdfunded, but I suspect it will only be for original and brand-new stories, not for existing properties. There are a lot of theoretical legal hoops you'd have to jump through in order to crowdfund an adaption, which may be too much work for the people in charge to care about

• http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

This site covers average sales numbers in Japan and might be of interest to you (10k average is considered a big success, 5k is good sales, below 3k is usually considered unsuccessful though it also depends on production values and other factors like merch/source material sales). Sadly foreign market sales, while helpful, rarely are influential enough on their own to impact whether or not more of a show will be made.

While crowd-funding is being tried here and there, I wouldn't say it's becoming a main funding source. Most projects that I've seen are either English translations of existing properties (Time of EVE, Fruits of Grisaia) or short(er) OVAs/movies like Kick-Heart, Little Witch Academia 2, and Under the Dog rather than a full-blown TV series.

• I didn't know that Fruit just used the web funding for that part. I thought it was for production as well. I should have taken a look a the numbers more closely and realized that actual production costs would be much higher. And I agree that regulation is a "mood killer."

I'm glad I asked this question. The site that Firefly directed me to is a gold mine of info. I can actually go back and match up who's been getting lots of attention with sales. I know that's not the end all factor but it will be a big help in seeing just how big it is. I just wish…that foreign markets were more involved in determining who got more work. These are things I did not know.

@Riles:

It may not be too much longer before anime itself is crowdfunded, but I suspect it will only be for original and brand-new stories, not for existing properties. There are a lot of theoretical legal hoops you'd have to jump through in order to crowdfund an adaption, which may be too much work for the people in charge to care about

laissez faire economics. May that would ease the path to a sequel?

Serious good info.