Dragon Ball Super Coming to Funimation?

• I just heard the news that Dragon Ball Super will be premiering on Fuji TV in Japan on July 5th. Will Funimation be licensing it?

• Here's how I like to look at it with the Dragon Ball franchise and Funimation. The question is never if, it's when. If it's a Dragonball TV series or movie, then you bet your ass that they will without a doubt pick it up for the future. It's trickier in terms of OVAs though due to licensing difficulties with Toei Animation, and even with said difficulties the announcement of Dragon Ball Super could also miss the Summer Simulcast season. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that Funimation won't get it. Dragonball is their baby that keeps getting even stronger and more popular as the years go by.

Also you can never predict when they'll announce it. Battle of Gods was announced 1 year after Japanese release. Resurrection F was announce several months before it even came out. You can't predict when Dragonball news hits, it just sort of happens. So be patient, because let's be honest, you really think Funimation won't sink the time and money in for a brand spanking new Dragonball series?

• As I said on another thread…. If a new Dragonball series ever comes into existence and Funimation DOESN'T license it... this is what will likely happen:

I mean really, it would be like The Gap deciding one day "we just don't want to sell pants anymore."

• ^ lol well when you wrote this the series was already confirmedXD and Fun still doesnt have it lol

• @dougswisher:

As I said on another thread…. If a new Dragonball series ever comes into existence and Funimation DOESN'T license it... this is what will likely happen:

Um it should have already happened since they haven't licensed DB Kai, as of yet…

(Granted it's technically a revamp of a couple of story arcs, but still)

• @Series5Ranger:

Um it should have already happened since they haven't licensed DB Kai, as of yet…

(Granted it's technically a revamp of a couple of story arcs, but still)

Um… They have Kai... They called it DBZ Kai in English. They "don't" have the Buu Saga, but that just ended last week.
    But it's pretty well known they have the Buu Saga already, a lot of actors have let it slip.

But on topic.
    I doubt they will be Simulcasting it, I wish they were, but it seems very unlikely as Toei is still weird old Toei.
    My secret wish is they are holding back talking about it, cause are working on doing a simulcast dub for this. Once they have it ready that's when they will talk about it, but that's very very unlikely :(

• Well, the first episode of DBSuper just aired this morning, and I don't see it on Funi's or Crunchyroll's simultcast page, way to drop the ball guys.
    Guess I'm bootlegging this show.

• @ThunderGod_Cid:

Well, the first episode of DBSuper just aired this morning, and I don't see it on Funi's or Crunchyroll's simultcast page, way to drop the ball guys.
    Guess I'm bootlegging this show.

FUNIMATION CAN'T SIMULTCAST WHAT THEY DON'T HAVE,they didn't drop anything!some of these DBZ fans are nuts.

• dude, relax

• I thought about it the past few days, my guess is we won't see an announcement for DBS until after the release of Resurrection F due to the close ties the series has to the most recent movies. Though I am anxious to see the next chapter in Dragonball.

• I know the first episode just aired last Sunday but fans have every right to be angry. Dragon Ball is THE torch-bearing anime in North America. It sure wasn't the first to make the trip to the continent but it was a major contributor in popularizing the genre. We, as fans, have proven time and time again that we WILL throw ALL the money for every re-release and re-edit of this show that we grew up with and hold dear to our hearts. Every resource should've been mobilized to ensure we get this simulcast day 1 and if it is indeed Toei's fault, how about opening up, talking to the fans and letting us know what the hold up is? Why are we still missing OVAs? Why isn't Kai streaming? Why aren't we getting the last arc of Kai? It was refreshing to see Resurrection of F get licensed and announced so quickly but this "not if but when" isn't acceptable for the #1 most recognizable anime in the world in its biggest market! It's 2015. I have Funimation, Crunchyroll and Netflix memberships (that's all that's available in Canada) and yet I had to torrent in order to watch the first episode? I have to break the law because the company holding the rights to the franchise not only dropped the ball on licensing it but, 4 days later, they have yet to even bother talking about it?

It's a big deal.

I'm not one of those Funimation haters. I'm glad this company grew and purchased so much talent which has sped up the system, diversified the catalog and lowered the price of anime. However, we deserve answers when it comes to DBS.

Period.

• The answer is that Toei simply isn't offering it to anyone right now. Not FUNimation, not Manga UK, no one.

Everyone wants it. But for the time being, Toei is saying "No." And when Toei says no, there's really not much anyone can do about it.

That's pretty much the jist of it. :hmm:

• @mrshadyshades:

I know the first episode just aired last Sunday but fans have every right to be angry. Dragon Ball is THE torch-bearing anime in North America. It sure wasn't the first to make the trip to the continent but it was a major contributor in popularizing the genre. We, as fans, have proven time and time again that we WILL throw ALL the money for every re-release and re-edit of this show that we grew up with and hold dear to our hearts. Every resource should've been mobilized to ensure we get this simulcast day 1 and if it is indeed Toei's fault, how about opening up, talking to the fans and letting us know what the hold up is? Why are we still missing OVAs? Why isn't Kai streaming? Why aren't we getting the last arc of Kai? It was refreshing to see Resurrection of F get licensed and announced so quickly but this "not if but when" isn't acceptable for the #1 most recognizable anime in the world in its biggest market! It's 2015. I have Funimation, Crunchyroll and Netflix memberships (that's all that's available in Canada) and yet I had to torrent in order to watch the first episode? I have to break the law because the company holding the rights to the franchise not only dropped the ball on licensing it but, 4 days later, they have yet to even bother talking about it?

It's a big deal.

I'm not one of those Funimation haters. I'm glad this company grew and purchased so much talent which has sped up the system, diversified the catalog and lowered the price of anime. However, we deserve answers when it comes to DBS.

Period.

Excuse me: you didn't "have" to do anything. You made the choice that seeing that episode as soon as possible was more important than anything else instead of waiting while consuming all the other content available to you with your three subscriptions.

If the answer to Dragon Ball Super not streaming yet is that Toei is dragging its feet in some way, or that there is a bidding war, or that there is a lot of red tape, they're not going to say a word. Why? Because you don't talk smack about your business partners in public. No company on this Earth talks about the nitty gritty details of a business deal, or makes promises until the deal is a lock.

I wish Dragon Ball Super were available right now, as FUNimation undoubtedly does given how big a deal it transparently is. But I am not entitled to it. And not burning bridges is a lot more important than serving your feelings or mine with answers that will contribute exactly nothing to making the show available any faster, at best.

• @mrshadyshades:

I know the first episode just aired last Sunday but fans have every right to be angry. Dragon Ball is THE torch-bearing anime in North America. It sure wasn't the first to make the trip to the continent but it was a major contributor in popularizing the genre. We, as fans, have proven time and time again that we WILL throw ALL the money for every re-release and re-edit of this show that we grew up with and hold dear to our hearts. Every resource should've been mobilized to ensure we get this simulcast day 1 and if it is indeed Toei's fault, how about opening up, talking to the fans and letting us know what the hold up is? Why are we still missing OVAs? Why isn't Kai streaming? Why aren't we getting the last arc of Kai? It was refreshing to see Resurrection of F get licensed and announced so quickly but this "not if but when" isn't acceptable for the #1 most recognizable anime in the world in its biggest market! It's 2015. I have Funimation, Crunchyroll and Netflix memberships (that's all that's available in Canada) and yet I had to torrent in order to watch the first episode? I have to break the law because the company holding the rights to the franchise not only dropped the ball on licensing it but, 4 days later, they have yet to even bother talking about it?

It's a big deal.

Period.

First of all, let me say this: negotiations take time. Anyone with a brain would know that FUNimation had at least talked to Toei about licensing the series. Given this is the biggest anime franchise in the world, one can assume that problems are likely to arise during negotiations. FUNimation are first and foremost a business, and I'm sure they are not gonna pay a fortune and exhaust every resource just to get the series here faster. And considering no other company has licensed the series, wouldn't you figure by now that the problem lies with Toei, more so then FUNimation? Also, most (if not all) contract negotiations with anything are confidential. In a lot of cases they are not allowed to even talk about it publicly. Almost no licensing company talks about titles they have yet to officially license publicly (unless it is let's say a 2nd season of a title they already have). They do not have to tell you anything. Heck, they don't even have to license it. Stop acting so entitled.

And Dragon Ball Kai, has only just ended it's run. Also, no other company has licensed it for streaming, so again, ask Toei. Be patient and at least wait until the all episodes are available on DVD/Blu-ray in Japan first.

And really? You're gonna complain about OVA's? These DVD's for these OVA's were only produced in limited numbers and aren't even available for purchase in Japan anymore. You will find that a lot of series have OVA's that are practically impossible to license. With OVA's such as the Dragon Ball ones that are made for special events (such as Jump Festa) it's usually more likely that they are not gonna get licensed.

Also, I have you know that Dragon Ball products aren't always successful. The blu-ray level sets flopped very quickly a few years ago. Don't think just because it's Dragon Ball they will pay any amount to license it and it will automatically sell (in fact it's more likely that most hardcore fans won't buy these products as they believe we will never get a 'proper release')

Also, the fact that you think you HAVE TO obtain the episode through illegal methods rather then wait tells me you do not deserve answers. Again, stop acting so entitled and be patient.

• Patience is for the young.

• @AutoOps:

First of all, let me say this: negotiations take time. Anyone with a brain would know that FUNimation had at least talked to Toei about licensing the series. Given this is the biggest anime franchise in the world, one can assume that problems are likely to arise during negotiations. FUNimation are first and foremost a business, and I'm sure they are not gonna pay a fortune and exhaust every resource just to get the series here faster. And considering no other company has licensed the series, wouldn't you figure by now that the problem lies with Toei, more so then FUNimation? Also, most (if not all) contract negotiations with anything are confidential. In a lot of cases they are not allowed to even talk about it publicly. Almost no licensing company talks about titles they have yet to officially license publicly (unless it is let's say a 2nd season of a title they already have). They do not have to tell you anything. Heck, they don't even have to license it. Stop acting so entitled.

And Dragon Ball Kai, has only just ended it's run. Also, no other company has licensed it for streaming, so again, ask Toei. Be patient and at least wait until the all episodes are available on DVD/Blu-ray in Japan first.

And really? You're gonna complain about OVA's? These DVD's for these OVA's were only produced in limited numbers and aren't even available for purchase in Japan anymore. You will find that a lot of series have OVA's that are practically impossible to license. With OVA's such as the Dragon Ball ones that are made for special events (such as Jump Festa) it's usually more likely that they are not gonna get licensed.

Also, I have you know that Dragon Ball products aren't always successful. The blu-ray level sets flopped very quickly a few years ago. Don't think just because it's Dragon Ball they will pay any amount to license it and it will automatically sell (in fact it's more likely that most hardcore fans won't buy these products as they believe we will never get a 'proper release')

Also, the fact that you think you HAVE TO obtain the episode through illegal methods rather then wait tells me you do not deserve answers. Again, stop acting so entitled and be patient.

I wish they would at least tell us what is going on. I was sure that Funimation would have it & was happy that I could (supposedly) watch it legally. But that was not to be. Does Toei understand that streaming stops a lot of pirating? If Toei is saying no to streaming, they really don't understand what causes pirating.

• @tlsmith63:

I wish they would at least tell us what is going on. I was sure that Funimation would have it & was happy that I could (supposedly) watch it legally. But that was not to be. Does Toei understand that streaming stops a lot of pirating? If Toei is saying no to streaming, they really don't understand what causes pirating.

If you want to see DB Super so badly,move to Japan.otherwise,wait for FUNimation to get it.you are not entitled.

• @joe-funi:

If you want to see DB Super so badly,move to Japan.otherwise,wait for FUNimation to get it.you are not entitled.

and with licensing costs going up, be prepared for a time when hardly anything gets licensed for a while. Until the Market rights itself again.

• I bingewatched all of dbz about 10 years ago and it was one of the shows that sucked me into anime. But its been 10 years and ive become less of a fan of it. I still havent even seen the latest movie. I do remember catching kai and damn near vomiting at the censorship of it. ( Mr. Popo was blue instead of black because im guessing he kindof looks like a racist cartoon from the 20s. And the spirit bomb was changed to spirit blast?!) Anyway, my point is this was a massively influential anime for north america and yes, while im surprised funi cant stream it its not unheard of. Its still a big moneymaker in japan. Of course theyre gonna milk every dime and be fussy over the licensing rights. Thats the business. Just stop bellyaching and pirate the episodes. Funimation WILL get the license and release it. And they will make a buttload anyway. And lets be honest here. Those complaining will still buy it.

• I have watched pretty much all episodes so far and I hope they will increase the tempo somewhat. The story is pretty slow so far.

• Listen guys, don't worry about Kai or Super. My guess is, Funimation has not yet announced the Buu Saga of Kai because they still have several months to go before Toonami gets to that point, and they probably want to release it uncut on TV before they do it on DVD. After that, they will probably have Super take Kai's place on Toonami. Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert already "confirmed" they've been dubbing their lines despite Funimation's desperate attempts to deny it. I'd be more concerned about Toriko and Sgt. Frog; I'm not even worried about D.Gray-man anymore.