Summer Simulcast Prediction Thread

• With June right around the corner and the Spring Season of Anime a few weeks away from completion, the time has come once again for Speculation Season for the Summer Anime of July has begun. New visuals and trailers as well as first episode release dates are coming out and many like myself are trying to figure out who is going to get what. This is mainly a Simulcast Speculation Thread for Funimation Titles, but I think I'll broaden it to talk about what other licenses have been picked up by other people in the anime world so you're all informed, as well as speculating which titles may or may not go to other people as this stuff comes out. So before I begin my personal Funimation predictions, let's begin which what I think is probably off the table, and/or what has already been CONFIRMED off the table.

Pony Canyon
    Rokka no Yusha

Pony Canyon confirmed this one way back in the beginning of the Spring Season. This one's a definite no for Funimation.

NIS America
    Working!!!

I would've just assumed NIS would get this again because they had the first two seasons, but with the show getting pulled from Crunchyroll TODAY (as of when this was written) it makes me think that Aniplex may be trying to interfere or maybe even might try and reclaim the rights for Season 3 but that's uncertain either. Long as this gets streamed legally by SOMEONE I don't much mind but it's still annoying regardless.

Sentai Filmworks
    To Love-Ru: Trouble - Darkness 2nd
    Non Non Biyori Repeat
    Gatchaman Crowds Insight
    Fate/kaleid liner Prismya Illya 2wei! Herz!

Sentai literally has all of these titles already, so they're most definitely guaranteed.

Aniplex USA
    Durarara!!x2 Ten
    Classroom Crisis
    Charlotte
    Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Durarara is a guarantee, while both Charlotte and Classroom Crisis have been confirmed to be produced by Aniplex, while Game of Laplace I am less certain of and simply going off of SpacemanHardy's word that Aniplex has been listed as a producer for that one too. Would've also put all the other obvious A1 Picture titles in here too but last season's Ultimate Otaku Teacher acquisition has proven to me that an A1 Pictures show isn't guaranteed to be Aniplex USA if it isn't produced by Aniplex themselves.

Well now that I got all those likely and/or not likely shows off the table I am ready to speculate which titles I think Funimation will get. Whether or not these things change over time or my list changes will be probable once more info comes out but let's begin my Funimation Simulcast Speculation for Summer.

Funimation
    Hetalia: The World Twinkle
    Aquarion Logos
    Dragon Ball Super
    Chaos Dragon: Red Dragon War
    Snow White and the Red Hair
    God Eater
    Jitsu wa Watashi wa
    School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi)
    Gangsta
    Monster Musume
    Overlord
    Prison School
    Aoharu x Machine Gun
    My Two-Faced Little Sister

Hetalia is almost a given, Aquarion has also been released by Funimation and seems to be a likely choice too, and then the obvious Dragon Ball Super. Let's be honest people. The question isn't WILL they get it, it's WHEN they get it. Because the possibility exists is that they won't have a simulcast of it due to Toei troubles, but let's be real here. They probably already have DBZ Kai Buu Saga. They're GOING to get Dragon Ball Super, whether it's sooner or later is hard to tell. Battle of Gods took a year. Resurrection F is mere months. You can never predict DBZ ever.

Chaos Dragon is a weird original project based off a board game RPG session with several notable creators in Japan, the ones that PARTICULARLY interested me were that both Gen Urobuchi and Ryogo Narita were involved. Could be good or not, but it seems interesting enough to me. Snow White & The Red Hair is a Shoujo Historical Romance by Bones. While they don't ALWAYS get Bones animes, they seem to be in real good relations with them and of the 4 animes Bones is releasing this year…they've already guaranteed 3 of them this year already (Norgami Season 2 for Fall is another guarantee....but that discussion isn't for another 3-4 months). So Snow White seems like it'd be cool too. God Eater has early deal with Daisuki already, so this could be a delayed simulcast. This one could go any which way, but Funimation getting a Ufotable anime would be hyped. Speaking of hype, Gangsta is apparently another solid action seinen show that my friend was really big one so I'd like to check that out too. School-Live is a weird sort of zombie survival series with cute girls and stuff and I'm REALLY curious what the hell that's all about so yeah.

Also this summer seems to be the season for lots of ecchi/harem shows because I noticed quite a few of them. Of those that interested me, the biggest one I kind of want to see is Monster Musume. I got bored and curious one day and read the first chapter and long story short I'm now caught up. I want to see it and see how it turns out. Also Prison School seems like the most ridiculous over the top weird pervy thing ever and I'm curious what I've seen and heard of it. Jitsu wa Watashi is vampire romance and devil girls are kind of a........interest of mine. So sure why not.

Overlord looks super cool action and also Studio Madhouse, so hell yeah, Aoharu x Machinegun I know nothing aside form Brains Base so why not, and My Two Faced Little Sister is my out there pick that I wouldn't think of otherwise because every season Funimation always has one that I NEVER EVER PREDICT OR CALL FOR REAL.

So now people I ask you.........what do you think Funimation or anyone else will pick up for the Summer Season?

• @classyspartan:

So now people I ask you…......what do you think Funimation or anyone else will pick up for the Summer Season?

it's to early for this, I'll get back to you in three weeks when I start looking at what shows i'll probably watch

• @classyspartan:

They probably already have DBZ Kai Buu Saga.

There's no "probably" about it. FUNimation's "official" response is that they do not yet have it, but so many voice actors have already broken NDA about it that it's pretty much the worst kept secret in the entire history of anime. ^_^

• @Getchman:

it's to early for this, I'll get back to you in three weeks when I start looking at what shows i'll probably watch

Gotcha, just keep your eyes posted on any new things that may come out: https://www.livechart.me/summer-2015/tv

Also I just forgot to mention the shows that WILL in fact continue into the Summer season so I should just list those here too while I'm at it:

Funimation - Continuing Shows
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
    Ultimate Otaku Teacher
    Ninja Slayer
    One Piece
    Fairy Tail

• As for my predictions for FUNi, I agree what Hetalia, Aquarion and DBZ are givens. I also think they'll more than likely get Gangsta as well.

Overlord looks more like a Sentai pick up to me. And while Monster Musume certainly looks like something that would be right up their alley, FUNi's relationship with Toho is rather tenuous at best (I was genuinely shocked to see that they got BBB, but apparently they licensed that through a different company and not Toho directly).

I have a feeling they'll get GATE, considering that this season they picked up Otaku Teacher from A-1 Pictures so they might keep the ball rolling with licenses from them. Also that Kuusen show (or more specifically, Aerial Combat Wizard Candidates' Instructor) looks and sounds generic enough that they'll probably end up with that too.

Ushio & Tora could go to either FUNi or Sentai, but I'm personally leaning toward Sentai due to the fact that ADV had the original series way back when. Prison School looks like another safe bet for FUNimation. My Two-Faced Sister looks more like something NISA would get. And I personally hope FUNi doesn't license that new vampire show, because frankly the character designs look so God-awful ugly.

Everything else I just simply don't know enough about or don't care enough to have an opinion. Just like Getch, ask me again in another couple of weeks.

• Hetalia, DBZ, and Aquarion are basically confirmed.

Would love for FUNi to get God Eater (get away from Ufotable, Aniplex!) and Chaos Dragon (Gen Urobuchi? I'm in!). School-Live!, Gangsta., and Aoharu look interesting as well.

• The vampire show is visually gross. Somebody bought the wrong set of anime eyes. They also look really gangly for some reason

I dunno they just look like a mishmash of Mr. Potato Head combinations

• @Riles:

The vampire show is visually gross. Somebody bought the wrong set of anime eyes. They also look really gangly for some reason

I dunno they just look like a mishmash of Mr. Potato Head combinations

You know I actually had been seeing a lot of people complain about the art and I thought it looked weird but didn't really think much of it.

Then I read a chapter or 2 of the manga….and BOY I really see what people mean about the anime's art now geez. Idk maybe the anime could still be okay but I think if anything I'll just stick with the manga on that one.

@bossman12340:

Chaos Dragon (Gen Urobuchi? I'm in!).

I know that Gen Urobuchi is a big name that does some good stuff but I would say that while it may be noteworthy I would caution the hype train of Urobuchi. Remember he was used to make Aldnoah.Zero publicly out there and that seems to have turned out to be mediocre, and he also worked on Gunslinger Startos: The Animation. Literally not a single person has talked about Gunslinger Stratos. I understand his name has been used on great stuff but be cautious if it turns out to not be great.

Now with RYOGO NARITA also involved…......

@SpacemanHardy:

Also that Kuusen show (or more specifically, Aerial Combat Wizard Candidates' Instructor) looks and sounds generic enough that they'll probably end up with that too.

Boy I forgot about this super hard. Hell I remember that this was supposed to come out in Spring and they had to push it back. Light novels with magical/fantasy settings with ecchi/harem undertones seems to be the newest genre of shows that I automatically know I am just going to ignore because 95% of the time they're really nothing at all.

….....and Funimation could still pick it up. Or maybe Sentai. Seems like it'll be right up either of their allies.

And while there are a lot of ecchi shows this season my personal pick for Funi to get like at least one or two would be either Monster Musume, Prison School or ideally both.

• @classyspartan:

I know that Gen Urobuchi is a big name that does some good stuff but I would say that while it may be noteworthy I would caution the hype train of Urobuchi. Remember he was used to make Aldnoah.Zero publicly out there and that seems to have turned out to be mediocre, and he also worked on Gunslinger Startos: The Animation. Literally not a single person has talked about Gunslinger Stratos. I understand his name has been used on great stuff but be cautious if it turns out to not be great.

Yeah, I guess I'm still on the PMMM hype train, huh?

• Yeah, Can we just agree to never put anything Dragonball related on these kinds of threads? I mean, lets be serious for a moment–if a new Dragonball anything were to be licensed in the USA by anyone other than Funimation, the world would probably collapse into itself and vanish.

• @dougswisher:

Yeah, Can we just agree to never put anything Dragonball related on these kinds of threads? I mean, lets be serious for a moment–if a new Dragonball anything were to be licensed in the USA by anyone other than Funimation, the world would probably collapse into itself and vanish.

I agree. I just so often saw how people would often freak out when there is no IMMEDIATE mention of something like a new DBZ or popular new entry in a popular Funimation anime. They'll probably get it but you just need to wait.

God I still remember people on this forum freaking out that they didn't IMMEDIATELY announce DxD Born. That was the weirdest thing I think I've ever encountered on this forum.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEMHAnGzdOo

This guy I follow does a pretty good seasonal preview series every season and he recently put out one for the Summer Season. It also adds some perspective or clarity on certain shows I may or may not have been interested in prior. Check it out and see what you think. Also you don't have to agree with most or any of his points, just thought it'd get the topic rolling again as more premiere dates are coming out and we probably won't get another license announcement for at least another 2 weeks

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3So7_WHDiE

Summer Season Preview Part 2.

I'm aware I have posted a lot in this but now we're at the point in time where basically every single Summer show has a first episode release date now and it's only a matter of time before we start hearing some more announcements. Granted the majority of them will probably be during AnimeExpo but I recall Aniplex made their announcements pretty early last year, so yeah.

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2015/tv

Every show has a release date now. It's only a matter of time. Any new updates or opinions on who gets what this season?

• I'll guess nine

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
    Snow White with the Red Hair
    Gakkou Gurashi!
    Monster Musume
    Gangsta.
    Ushio and Tora
    Castle Town Dandelion
    Aquarion Logos
    Dragon Ball Super

• Funimation currently has 14 anime simulcasts with I believe 6 continuing into the next season. Given that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan doesn't continue very far into the season, 9 new series sound right for the minimum.

It will be interesting to see if Funimation manages to bump up the total number of simulcasts by 1-2, as they've been doing every season since the beginning of 2014. That upward trend has to hit a rather firm wall at some point.

Perhaps if the pressure to increase the number of simulcasts is still on, they'll find a way to get Symphogear GX.

Yeah, I don't believe it will happen, either. :(

@Riles:
    I would certainly expect Funimation to get Hetalia: The World Twinkle.

• http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/funimation-and-universal-pictures-home-entertainment-enter-into-multi-year-distribution-agreement-300103173.html

So I know this mainly only really affects their DVD and Physical Distribution stuff but considering how more shows as of recently have been produced by NBC Universal Japan, like Seraph of the End, I assume that pretty much any show that is to be produced by NBC Universal from now on is probably a very likely pickup or a definite pickup from now on. Are there any titles that fit this criteria for the summer season? Well….......maybe?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30355/Wakaba*Girl

Technically counts but this could be just a complete shot in the dark here. It IS produced by NBC Universal though.

• http://www.aniplexusa.com/pdf/Aniplex_of_America_Acquires_Charlotte_Classroom_Crisis_GOD%20EATER_WAGNARIA3_FINAL.pdf

Just like last season Aniplex USA is the first to kick off the Simulcast announcements for the season. Alongside Durararax2's returning cour we got Classroom Crisis and Charlotte, both titles that I predicted they would get as both were Aniplex produced. The other two are a bit more surprising but not AS surprising. Both God Eater and the 3rd Season of Working/Wagnaria. God Eater in terms of streaming is still Daisuki exclusive and it seems to be sticking to that, and Aniplex seems to have officially regained the license to the Working series from NIS America. I am slightly annoyed but I am at least glad that I can watch the 3rd season on Crunchyroll legally (even if they took down the first season just cause).

Aniplex USA
    Durarara!! x2
    Charlotte
    Classroom Crisis
    God Eater
    Wagnaria!!!

Pony Canyon
    Rokka - Heroes of the Six Flowers

• That really bums me out about God Eater. Apparently, the reason they were able to get it is because Bandai Namco =/= Bandai Visual.

They seem to be hogging anything connected to ufotable and Urobuchi to themselves these days. Sure, they didn't get Chaos Dragon, but Boochi's connection to that series is miniscule at best.

• http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/06/24/crunchyroll-to-stream-gangsta-anime-in-france-and-french-speaking-territories

This may be more speculation but considering Crunchyroll seemed to only really announce Gangsta for exclusively french territories with no mention of US or Canada, then it looks like a safe bet that Funimation is probably gonna pick up Gangsta for the Summer.

• Please tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Sore ga Seiyuu! because that anime has already won me over. (Shameless plug: my VA/Seiyuu tournament is this Summer, so I'm obviously fascinated about the industry)

• 1. I need a monster musume simulcast dub! :)