The Boy and the Beast

• http://variety.com/2015/film/news/funimation-entertainment-acquires-u-s-rights-to-mamoru-hosodas-the-boy-and-the-beast-exclusive-1201497564/

FUNimation Entertainment Acquires U.S. Rights To Mamoru Hosoda"s ‘The Boy and The Beast" (EXCLUSIVE)

FUNimation Entertainment has acquired all U.S. rights to Mamoru Hosoda"s animated tale The Boy and the Beast from Gaumont Intl.

Produced by Studio Chizu and Nippon TV, Beast” is a coming-of-age tale about Kyuta, a lonely Japanese boy, and Kumatetsu, a lonesome beast inhabiting an imaginary world.

The movie will be released by FUNimation"s new launched theatrical events and distribution branch based in New York.

We"re excited to bring ‘The Boy and the Beast" to audiences across the United States,” said FUNimation CEO and founder Gen Fukunaga. Mamoru Hosoda is a masterful director and has made Japanese animated film accessible to everyone.”

The toon is being talked about as a potential 2016 Oscar contender.

We are looking forward to working with Gaumont Intl. and plan to release ‘The Boy and the Beast" to theaters beginning in late 2015,” said Mike DuBoise, FUNimation"s exec VP and COO. We"re confident that critics and moviegoers will quickly agree that this is an Oscar-worthy film.”

Gaumont"s deputy head of sales Yohann Comte, who negotiated the deal, said Gaumont had received offers from other distributors but chose to work with FUNimation because the company has been faithful to Hosoda"s work since the beginning, and they also have the ambition and commitment to screen the film to the widest possible audience.”

FUNimation has distributed two other Hosoda movies in the U.S. (on VOD and homevideo) including the critically-acclaimed and award-winning Wolf Children” in 2013 and Summer Wars” in 2010. Hosoda"s Wolf Children” was a critical and commercial success and traveled to more than 90 countries.

FUNimation will release The Boy and the Beast” in select theaters in late 2015 and nationwide in early 2016.

FUNimation"s first theatrical rollout will be Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F,” which is scheduled
    to come out this summer in the U.S. and Canada.

Rev up the Hosoda hype train.

• God I'm really excited now.

• Good to hear but when i will able to watch it on funimation?

• Considering the lack of Hosoda's other movies, probably never.

• @bakanekoqc:

Good to hear but when i will able to watch it on funimation?

It won't be released on Funimation for awhile, if at all. It is being released in select theaters on March 4. Tickets are on sale now. Go to Funimationfilms.com to get tickets.

• … This movie will not come near me, the most close is at 3h car driving. i think i will look for the streaming vf version on web

• Whatevs. I'll just wait for Walmart. ~_^

• So is there any explanation out there as to why Canadians are not allowed to watch the trailer or the clips of this movie from your YouTube channel?

I'm super disappointed about this, especially since I live right next to Maine… all I want is to hear the cast! :(

• apparently they don't have the rights to bring it to Canada. someone else will be doing that

• @Getchman:

Canada. someone else will be doing that

Yep. :ninja:

Toronto-based film distributor Mongrel Media confirmed on Friday that it will release Mamoru Hosoda's The Boy and The Beast film in Canada. The company will release the film in theaters starting on May 27, and it will also release the film on-demand and on home video.

Mongrel Media's website indicates that the film will screen in Japanese with English subtitles.

• @TIL:

Yep. :ninja:

Well that's just stupid … Hope it bombs on them for not having it dubbed

• Enjoyed the film. Loved the dub performances.

One thing though. The name of Moby Dick's author, Herman Melville, was written as Herman Merville during the ending credits…

• Subbed only here in Boston. Good story and artwork, I liked summer wars better.
    I still prefer TGWLTT.

• @The_Hatta:

Hope it bombs on them for not having it dubbed

I saw the movie subbed and I thought it was incredible. ^-^

• I saw this last night in Norfolk, Virginia at the Military Circle Cinemark where the presentation was suburb. Thank you. I enjoyed the story and the voice acting immensely and laughed and cried at the proper moments, much like I did at Summer Wars (mostly cheering) and Wolf Children (most moving of the three). And without giving away any spoilers, I found a pivotal plot point somewhat telegraphed and yet how it played out still took me by surprise. I am looking forward to many energetic discussions with friends and others as more see this very excellent film. Thank you Mamoru Hosoda for a great work. And than you Funimation for making it available.

• I just saw this dubbed in theaters and I have to say it was quite good! This was the first of his movies that I have seen, and his style does remind me a lot of Haha oh Miyazaki. Definitely recommend this to everyone. What was really cool was hearing my favorite voice actors from Funimation shows on the big screen. Really cool experience.

Has anyone else had the chance to see this yet?

• @Getchman:

apparently they don't have the rights to bring it to Canada. someone else will be doing that

Any idea when though? The wait is killing me.

• @Oniros:

Any idea when though? The wait is killing me.

This quote is from an earlier post on the this thread.

"Toronto-based film distributor Mongrel Media confirmed on Friday that it will release Mamoru Hosoda's The Boy and The Beast film in Canada. The company will release the film in theaters starting on May 27, and it will also release the film on-demand and on home video.

Mongrel Media's website indicates that the film will screen in Japanese with English subtitles."

• Canada, it is time to rejoice! Yes, the entire country. (Sorry America, step aside!)

The Star PR company revealed to ANN on Friday that Mongrel Media's theatrical release of Mamoru Hosoda's The Boy and The Beast film will play at the following Canadian theaters on May 27:

• Cineplex Yonge & Dundas, Toronto
    • Cineplex Park Lane, Halifax
    • Metro Cinema at the Garneau, Edmonton
    • Globe Cinema, Calgary
    • Roxy Theatre, Saskatoon
    • Rio Theatre, Vancouver
    • The Mayfair Theater, Ottawa (May 28)

Mongrel Media's website indicates that the film will screen in Japanese with English subtitles.

Mongrel Media confirmed with ANN that it plans to release the film on-demand on May 24, and on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on June 27. The home video release will feature English and Japanese audio tracks, with English and French subtitles

If any theaters are playing near your area, now is the time to see this awesome film on the big screen!

https://youtu.be/mUp1s-z9sZY

Source: (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-15/the-boy-and-the-beast-film-canadian-theater-lineup-revealed/.102134)

• I'm happy that it's playing in Canada, but it's not playing anywhere near me T_T. It's not a big deal, I can wait for the release.

• I would have loved to have gone but I am working during the shows in my area sigh
    Guess I'll just buy it when it's released.