FUNimation & Giant Ape New Title Solicitations (August '15)

• This list is NOT FINAL.

Basilisk: The Complete Series Blu-ray (Anime Classics)- http://shop.funimation.com/The-Complete-Series-Anime-Classics_36

The Future Diary: The Complete Series Blu-ray- http://shop.funimation.com/The-Complete-Series_116

X: The Complete Series DVD (Anime Classics)- http://shop.funimation.com/The-Complete-Series-Anime-Classics_37

Fairy Tail: Part 16 Blu-ray- http://shop.funimation.com/Part-Sixteen

My thoughts on this month's releases? Well, I can sum that up in one word: disappointment. Only 4 releases, and I'm not interested in a single one. :/

• No OVA for Future Diary so i refuse to buy even though ive been waiting for this release for years.

• @mrb335:

No OVA for Future Diary so i refuse to buy even though ive been waiting for this release for years.

Pretty weird hill to die on, spurning the entire series in beautiful high definition because it doesn't include a rather irrelevant addendum

• @Riles:

Pretty weird hill to die on, spurning the entire series in beautiful high definition because it doesn't include a rather irrelevant addendum

Well, I wouldn't say it's "irrelevant" considering that it's the actual canon ending to the series…. :hmm:

• @Riles:

Its not an appendum. Its the conclusion of the storyline. Like Eden of the East movies were to the series. The series is incomplete. You wouldnt buy a beautiful hardcover reprint of a book with the last chapter missing. Its ridiculous to spend all that money on a blu ray release and not buy the last half hour episode. They bothered to buy blood c: the last dark, black lagoon: robertas blood trail, and the steins;gate movie. How much do you think those cost? This is a slap in the face.

• I'll elaborate and say it's a terrible conclusion to a story and I totally understand why they left it out of the main series because it really has no business existing, what was the original creator thinking?

So, it's an irrelevant addendum

EDIT: Looking at the technical release of it, it's classified as a one-off and not an extension of the series. There's probably issues or language that prevents it from being packaged as part of the series, similar to how the Baka and Test OVAs were released, or how Drifters of the Dead was oddly released by Sentai as its own bizarro 16 minute Blu-Ray until it was finally packaged with the Collector's Edition

So they probably can't package it together and it's not worth the money to license it, or maybe it's simply impossible to license it due to whatever reason

• Wow, that IS quite disappointing. I was going to look into Future Diary, but if it omits the actual conclusion then no thanks. I MIGHT do Basilisk, but those other two? Nah son.

• @Riles:

I'll elaborate and say it's a terrible conclusion to a story and I totally understand why they left it out of the main series because it really has no business existing, what was the original creator thinking?

So, it's an irrelevant addendum

EDIT: Looking at the technical release of it, it's classified as a one-off and not an extension of the series. There's probably issues or language that prevents it from being packaged as part of the series, similar to how the Baka and Test OVAs were released, or how Drifters of the Dead was oddly released by Sentai as its own bizarro 16 minute Blu-Ray until it was finally packaged with the Collector's Edition

So they probably can't package it together and it's not worth the money to license it, or maybe it's simply impossible to license it due to whatever reason

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i happened to enjoy that "one-off". I thought it concluded the story in a better way than the series did. And if its like you say from the original creator then it has a place with the series. If they can include three minute OVAs from Freezing or from other shows then this should be doable. Its been what? 5 years now since this thing aired? They include every OVA in their new releases/ new rereleases and they market this show a lot. Its doable. If not, have Funimation tell us why. Not assumptions or random guesses.

@stronkadonk:

Wow, that IS quite disappointing. I was going to look into Future Diary, but if it omits the actual conclusion then no thanks. I MIGHT do Basilisk, but those other two? Nah son.

The show itself is still phenomenal and very much worth watching. The series just ends abruptly and bittersweet. The OVA concludes it better in some people's opinion. Stream it first and watch the OVA on youtube.

I enjoyed Basilisk and havent seen X yet but both were on last weeks clearance sale for $20 a piece. I only buy anime classics or S.A.V.E.s for the more compact size and cheaper price. I think Funimation should look into more out of print series to bring back like they did with OniAi. I cant find the Love Hina specials anywhere and they complete the story.

EDIT: Do NOT triple post. Use the Edit Post button instead. -SH

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @mrb335:

If they can include three minute OVAs from Freezing or from other shows then this should be doable. Its been what? 5 years now since this thing aired? They include every OVA in their new releases/ new rereleases and they market this show a lot. Its doable. If not, have Funimation tell us why. Not assumptions or random guesses.

The Freezing OVAs are included with the disc releases. Each disc release has one of those OVAs. In the case of Future Diary, its OVA was included with the manga of the same name, making it an entirely different entity. It's more similar to how something like Soul Eater Not! wasn't included with the Soul Eater Premium Edition than it is with any small OVAs that are included with the anime's physical release

Another example of this is the Sankarea OVAs. Only one was included, and that was the one that was included with the series' physical release. The other two OVAs that weren't included were bundled with manga volumes

For whatever reason, OVAs bundled with the source material, or otherwise not included with the series release, presumably because it's much more difficult to license when more parties are involved, and it's difficult to divide the licensing fees, or whatever. I'm just speculating, but all you really need to know, as a consumer, is that it isn't feasible

• Riles is correct. OVAs that are included with manga releases are oftentimes much more difficult, if not impossible, to license. It's for this very reason that we never got the Negima?! OADs, Fairy Tail OVAs, or even Attack on Titan: No Regrets.

(I still haven't given up hope on that last one, though)

• @SpacemanHardy:

Riles is correct. OVAs that are included with manga releases are oftentimes much more difficult, if not impossible, to license. It's for this very reason that we never got the Negima?! OADs, Fairy Tail OVAs, or even Attack on Titan: Before the Fall.

(I still haven't given up hope on that last one, though)

I don't think Attack on Titan: Before the Fall has been adapted to OVA. Did you mean the No Regrets OVA's (the Levi ones)?

• ^ Yeah, I meant No Regrets, sorry about that. >.<

• @bossman12340:

Also, for those of you Fairy Tail Blu-ray collectors, the style of the cover art for Part 16 doesn't fit the style of the other ones, so that's pretty bad.

You do realize this is series 2 , so to me it makes sense they changed the cover art.

• Were there titles that they announced would be here by summer that aren't? I could be wrong, but I thought we were going to see Black Butler, Zankyou no Terror, or Tokyo Ghoul? Aniplex and Sentai are already releasing titles that came out then, so hopefully we can expect to see these (and Steins;Gate please god) within the next month or two?

• @stronkadonk:

Were there titles that they announced would be here by summer that aren't? I could be wrong, but I thought we were going to see Black Butler, Zankyou no Terror, or Tokyo Ghoul? Aniplex and Sentai are already releasing titles that came out then, so hopefully we can expect to see these (and Steins;Gate please god) within the next month or two?

Terror in Resonance (Zankyou no Terror) is confirmed for Fall 2015.

Both Black Butler: Book of Circus and Tokyo Ghoul are fairly popular titles, so expecting them before 2015 ends wouldn't be unreasonable.

Steins;Gate film- Even though I want all of the series I talked about above, I want this one the most. sniffle The film was licensed in August of 2014, so I would expect a Fall 2015 release.

All in all, of the titles you want could be released by the end of the year (Terror in Resonance is confirmed, though).