Question about Railgun S

• Why was it given on a DVD release and not a bluray combo release like Index 2?

• Licensing issues with Kadokawa.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Licensing issues with Kadokawa.

geez you think that it being the year 2015 when even in Japan blurays out sell DVD by a large margin all animation companies would want the US companies to put out the highest quality disks. Maybe in the future we can hope to see a re-release combo pack like with what Index 1 and Railgun 1 got.

• @goku8399:

geez you think that it being the year 2015 when even in Japan blurays out sell DVD by a large margin all animation companies would want the US companies to put out the highest quality disks.

That's just it, though. Anime in the US is MUCH cheaper than it is in Japan, and the two countries share the same region code. This means that Japanese fans can simply wait until the US release comes out and import it at a very big discount, which causes the Japanese production companies to lose a lot of profits. This is called "reverse importation", and is the main reason that we get so many DVD-only releases, locked subtitles, and expensive Aniplex-style prices these days in an attempt to avoid it.

So no, the reason is exactly the opposite of what you said above; the Japanese companies DON'T want us to have the highest quality discs. They are, quite honestly, why we "can't have nice things." :hmm:

• So instead of thinking to MAYBE lower the prices of overpriced DVDs to make the ability to buy and sell more units lower and FIXING THEIR OWN PROBLEMS….they instead force themselves into foreign markets and make it so that both global markets of fans and people willing to support the industry are screwed over in the process, only encouraging MORE PEOPLE TO PIRATE ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously these companies are so freaking dense I swear.

• @classyspartan:

So instead of thinking to MAYBE lower the prices of overpriced DVDs to make the ability to buy and sell more units lower and FIXING THEIR OWN PROBLEMS….

Lowering price does not always equal more sales. Sometimes the additional buyers you gain at a lower price point isn't enough to bump revenue over what you'd get from selling to fewer for more.

• Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that you are selling more units. I dont know if we would know until they tried. They would at least get more accurate information on who likes what? How many people enjoyed this, and that…What didnt people like. They have to blindly guess in the dark. So....There is no date or even a chance of a blu-ray release at this time? Because I got season 1 on blu ray and I 100% love it, and im not even done yet, I really wanted to buy it so I could have it by the time I was done with season one, but I really really, REALLY dont like settling for DVDs.

• @Firefly:

Lowering price does not always equal more sales. Sometimes the additional buyers you gain at a lower price point isn't enough to bump revenue over what you'd get from selling to fewer for more.

Or maybe have two different releases one being the normal physical copy and the other being a digital copy. Only difference is that the digital one is a cheaper by like $10-$15 usd (not going to figure out the rate of exchange).