Feature Requests

• My apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to post these. I couldn't find a specific forum or topic dedicated to this, but if there is and I missed it, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Overall I'm quite happy with the service. The internet is littered with anime streaming sites, but there is value in supporting content creators and I'm glad to be able to do so. There are some features that I believe are handled better through other streaming services, and supporting them would streamline the user experience.

PS4:
    1). Resume Last Title:
    It seems that for a service that offers mostly full seasons, resuming the previous episode should be the first option available to users when they log in. As it stands, our viewing History is a subsection of the Queue. This isn't very intuitive, especially if you are not in the habit of adding your current series to your "watch in the future" list. Again, this feature seems like it should be among the first things available to you upon logging in.

2). Inactivity Monitor:
    A simple check every 2 - 4 episodes that asks users to confirm that they are still watching would be a strong addition. From the perspective of your bottom line, you would be saving massive amounts of bandwidth. A great portion of users watch television to fall asleep, and you are potentially streaming ~8 hours of data that could otherwise be saved. From the users perspective, it would be really helpful to be able to fall asleep and have some general idea where you left off, without digging through descriptions or through trial and error.

3). Recommendations Based on History & Simple Rating System
    Algorithmically this is likely challenging, but the most common forum post on any anime board is "What should I watch?" This would go hand in hand with a personal rating system to replace the current set of 5 stars. In addition to being incredibly helpful for users, it seems like this would generate a huge amount of data useful to Funimation. Did the viewer love the title? Or just like it enough to complete the series? This could be quite useful in deciding which shows to stream, which ones to stream in full HD, or as an indicator of which shows would be worth the resources to dub.

3a.) If sites like myanimelist.com are any indication, tracking, rating, and sharing viewing preferences is a large part of the anime community. It would be fantastic if the ratings users generate on any platform were tracked in their own profile. This could then be made to easily integrate with social media further advertising your streaming service.

Thanks for your time, and for the overall great service you are providing. The ideas I'm proposing seem to work well in other services, but they are by no means unique to any of them. They seem like they would be strong additions to an already excellent format.

• I'll move this to The Suggestion Box forum where it's better suited. :)

• @partikkel:

PS4:
    1). Resume Last Title:
    It seems that for a service that offers mostly full seasons, resuming the previous episode should be the first option available to users when they log in. As it stands, our viewing History is a subsection of the Queue. This isn't very intuitive, especially if you are not in the habit of adding your current series to your "watch in the future" list. Again, this feature seems like it should be among the first things available to you upon logging in.

History is in Queue because that's the only place it can physically fit. We could, however, do something similar to Netflix, where the last Show you watched displays in perhaps the Featured List and is labeled "Resume Watching". Would that work? I'll see if there are any other options.

@partikkel:

2). Inactivity Monitor:
    A simple check every 2 - 4 episodes that asks users to confirm that they are still watching would be a strong addition. From the perspective of your bottom line, you would be saving massive amounts of bandwidth. A great portion of users watch television to fall asleep, and you are potentially streaming ~8 hours of data that could otherwise be saved. From the users perspective, it would be really helpful to be able to fall asleep and have some general idea where you left off, without digging through descriptions or through trial and error.

This is planned. However, the trigger will most likely be at 13 videos. This is because we have a lot of users that love the continuous play feature. I too fall asleep while watching streaming services, so my Hulu Plus "Shows you Watch" has completely random shows in it, and now Hulu recommends me nothing I actually want to watch. Considering this, we thought 13 videos would be a good compromise. This gives the continuous play lovers a whole season of uninterrupted anime bliss and the sleepers a way to more easily figure out where they actually need to resume.

@partikkel:

3). Recommendations Based on History & Simple Rating System
    Algorithmically this is likely challenging, but the most common forum post on any anime board is "What should I watch?" This would go hand in hand with a personal rating system to replace the current set of 5 stars. In addition to being incredibly helpful for users, it seems like this would generate a huge amount of data useful to Funimation. Did the viewer love the title? Or just like it enough to complete the series? This could be quite useful in deciding which shows to stream, which ones to stream in full HD, or as an indicator of which shows would be worth the resources to dub.

A recommendations engine is planned, but is waiting on other development. We actually already have the algorithm already worked out. What did you have in mind for a personal rating system. I've only ever seen the 5 stars system on Hulu and Netflix. The site itself already has Show Reviews and your Show Reviews are listed in your Profile under My Stuff > Reviews. However, I do love the idea of a super detailed report with charts and graphs of the user's ratings for all shows.

@partikkel:

3a.) If sites like myanimelist.com are any indication, tracking, rating, and sharing viewing preferences is a large part of the anime community. It would be fantastic if the ratings users generate on any platform were tracked in their own profile. This could then be made to easily integrate with social media further advertising your streaming service.

Show Reviews are, but I agree that other ratings should be as well.

Thank you for all of your input! ^_^