Funimation App for Vizio Smart TV Please

• It would be nice not to have to turn on my xbox 360 just to use funimation :( waste of power…. I mean Vizio has Hulu and Netflix why not Funimation.

• @christopher.s.diem:

It would be nice not to have to turn on my xbox 360 just to use funimation :( waste of power…. I mean Vizio has Hulu and Netflix why not Funimation.

Saying "Netflix and Hulu have an app on "x", why doesn't Funimation (or Crunchyroll for that matter)?" isn't really a valid comparison. There is a huge difference of scale, and therefore of resources, as well as a larger number of people that would be using said device.

Netflix would be on your toaster if it had a screen and an internet connection. Per the most recent report, Netflix has 62.3 million subscribers, so even if only 1% of their subscribers used a specific device, the number of their subscribers using would probably be more than if EVERY Funimation subscriber did.

Hulu isn't nearly as far ahead, but they passed 6 million paid subscribers (Hulu Plus) a year ago.

• @TheAncientOne:

Netflix would be on your toaster if it had a screen and an internet connection.

It would not surprise me at all if they are working on such a toaster as we speak. :hmm:

• I want that toaster!

• I have to wonder how much use a Funimation app on Vizio (or any other smart TV) would actually see. CR had apps for both Samsung and Panasonic, but has indicated they will be sunsetting both on July 15. Given that the two other apps getting the same treatment that date are for the Google TV and OUYA, this leads me to believe the issue was not enough users on the platforms to make continued updates and support worthwhile.

• @TheAncientOne:

Saying "Netflix and Hulu have an app on "x", why doesn't Funimation (or Crunchyroll for that matter)?" isn't really a valid comparison. There is a huge difference of scale, and therefore of resources, as well as a larger number of people that would be using said device.

"Crackle", "Cartoon Goggles", and the local news channels all have apps on Vizio. None of them have as many paying members, so why can't Funimation at least give us an update?

• There is no information regarding a Vizio app at this time, but I can ask if we'll be working on something.

• @lordrook:

"Crackle", "Cartoon Goggles", and the local news channels all have apps on Vizio. None of them have as many paying members, so why can't Funimation at least give us an update?

Crackle has no paid subscription, and neither would local news channels so I don't see how "as many paying members" is relevant. While neither Funimation or Crackle are as public about viewership as Netflix or Hulu, I did find some information that indicates Crackle probably has far more viewers than Funimation:
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2014/01/29/crackle-hits-record-numbers-original-series-comedians-in-cars-getting-coffee-starring-jerry-seinfeld-breaks-25-million-streams-944215/20140129crackle01/

I assume you are referring to "Toon Googles" as I was unable to find anything on a service called "Cartoon Googles". Given that I hadn't even heard of them before, I have my doubts their viewership is more than Funimation's, but I notice the word "partner" or "partnership" comes up often in relation many of the smart TV platforms. That makes me wonder if those platforms are helping underwrite the cost of app development. They are also a relatively young company (launched in 2011), and are probably still operating as a start up, where viewership numbers are far more important than profitability (unlike a privately held mature company like Funimation).

More relevant to what Funimation does app-wise is what Crunchyroll does, as they are in the same business, and very likely have a somewhat higher number of subscribers and free viewers. Earlier this year they DROPPED support for the smart TV platforms they had previously supported, due to "low usage". If a company in the same business as Funimation dropped support for a platform because it was no longer economically viable to continue it, why would it make sense for Funimation to develop for that platform? As you may have noticed, there isn't a single platform Funimation is on that CR isn't on (and AFAIK, wasn't on first).

Ask for Funimation on your smart TV of choice? Sure. Expect it? Don't hold your breath, as it would essentially be Funimation saying, "For some reason, we'll have substantially different results than CR did".

• i just got me a samsung smart tv a few months ago, as i can understand how everyone wants an app for everything they own.
    I have one for my ps3, roku, and my android phone, but lets be honest i only use the one on my phone when im not at home.
    i was originally using my pc hooked up to my tv, but my pc is so outdated that i was getting poor video streaming quality with it.
    now i just use my tvs web browser with funi bookmarked, and it has been working just great.
    i guess what im saying is why should they waste their time and money on an app that may not be so useful.

• I just got a Vizio smart tv and I hope Funimation will make app for the tv