Gankutsuou - a fresh twist on an old Classic

• I'm surprised no one has made a Gankutsuou thread yet, given the series pedigree and its largely excellent content. Far be it for me to let this mistake go by unaddressed.

For those who know the source novel: what did you think of this adaptation? Was the portrayal of The Count as a more Machiavellian villain a good idea? Did his increased monstrosity annoy you, or was it a fair critique?

Oh, and to guarantee replies from the mod staff: FUNIMATION MAKE A SECOND SEASON RIGHT NOW OR I'LL BOYCOTT EVERYTHING YOU MAKE FOREVER.

• @Sneebs:

Oh, and to guarantee replies from the mod staff: FUNIMATION MAKE A SECOND SEASON RIGHT NOW OR I'LL BOYCOTT EVERYTHING YOU MAKE FOREVER.

Anyways, I agree. Gankutsuou is one of my favorite anime series as well. Despite the obvious sci-fi/fantasy elements, I find it to be one of the more accurate adaptations of the book (much more so than the watered-down PG-13 Hollywood movie version). It's a shame it was never really all that popular; I imagine many were turned off either by it's avant-garde art style or it's rather slow pace and general lack of action elements until near the end. But it's easily one of Gonzo's finest shows, and serves as proof that Gonzo CAN, in fact, make a show look amazing…. when they actually have a budget.

• I really liked the perspective change - IMO it made Albert much more likable (He's actually AFRAID while captured by Luigi Vampa, which is much more sympathetic than his cocky "Oh I was so BORED waiting around for something to happen" bluster in the novel). As well, showing the Count is morally broken is something which makes it much more appealing to modern audiences - justifiably angry or not, some of the depths he sinks to to extract his revenge ruin far too many innocent lives.

I can it's not as popular, either - it's a meticulously paced psychological thriller as well as a neon-punk visual treat, and those two demographics don't have the crossover appeal that a shonen action title like One Piece or Fairy Tale do.

I'll admit I'm a bit peeved at the ending, though - the pacing is, to be blunt, horribly rushed after Eugenie flees the wedding. We go from a model of one episode build the tension and slowly unearthing the sordid histories and cleverly contrived mind-games, and speed of delivery felt off. The rapid succession of the Count's revenge (hitting TWO of his targets in the same episode? Something as exquisite as revenge should do more than rush the keystone of a scheme into two 10-minute slots of one episode!) and the somewhat rushed recounting of the Edmond Dantes' backstory to Albert (They couldn't leave in the Abbe Faras? Gankutsuou and the Abbe would have made fabulous cell-mates/ foils to shape the future Count!) held me back from falling in love with this series totally, but everything before that is well worth the ride.

• I could not get over how beautiful it was. The colors….amazing.