Regular Editions vs Limited Editions?

• Hi,

I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I'm just curious… In your honest opinion, would you go for the regular edition or the limited edition? Does it depend on your funds? Or your fanatic enthusiasm?

For me, it really depends on the anime series. So far, I've only ever bought a couple of series from Bandai that were LE. One from Viz, and one from Funi.

What new series (that hasn't already been released) do you want to get the LE treatment? I definitely would want Free! Eternal Summer to get the LE treatment xD...

• Personally, if I can, I always go for the Limited Editions. When I start to collect something, I go all out . I not only buy the LE for the extra items they sometimes come with, but also the Cardboard Art Boxes they come in. I really like those boxes much more than say the plastic cases they normally come in. They do normally cost quite a bit more (sometimes 3x as much) as the standard edition, but I feel like it's worth it. Though I do understand that a lot of people don't care about the extras and just buy the show to watch it.

Here's to hoping they come out with a Premium Edition of Season 2 of Darker than Black (my all time favorite show) and a Limited Edition of HighSchool DxD Born (hopefully one that comes with some special items) :D

• If it's a show I really like, I would go for the LE.

However, I have a gripe with FUNimation's LE sets: they aren't special in any way. Lots of so-called FUNimation "limited edition" sets are still in print after more than a year, and they only come with an artbox. Woo-hoo. Sometimes, even the box can have bad artwork too. Though not all FUNi LEs are like that, lots of them are. From time to time, FUNimation will come out with a really good set (I'm looking at you, Cowboy Bebop).

• @truepatriiot:

Limited Edition of HighSchool DxD Born (hopefully one that comes with some special items) :D

The first two seasons had LE releases so when the 3rd is released I'm sure it will too.

As for the OP's question, I buy the LE only if it has the box and only if it has multiple seasons or parts. Makes it easier to organize.

• @bossman12340:

However, I have a gripe with FUNimation's LE sets: they aren't special in any way. Lots of so-called FUNimation "limited edition" sets are still in print after more than a year, and they only come with an artbox. Woo-hoo. Sometimes, even the box can have bad artwork too.

I'd still happily take their bare bones yet reasonably priced LEs any day over Aniplex of America's ridiculously priced LEs, which don't even come with chipboard boxes anymore and try to convince you they're worth the extra cost by including a handful of "deluxe" postcards and a poster. -_-

• @SpacemanHardy:

I'd still happily take their bare bones yet reasonably priced LEs any day over Aniplex of America's ridiculously priced LEs, which don't even come with chipboard boxes anymore and try to convince you they're worth the extra cost by including a handful of "deluxe" postcards and a poster. -_-

$50 for a DVD of the Madoka Magica movie! Comes with a set of stickers and a postcard! Can't get anywhere else!

Or better yet, $300 for the COMPLETE SERIES OF FATE/STAY NIGHT UNLIMTED BLADE WORKS SEASON ONE. This import comes with english AND spanish subtitles, a "behind the scenes" on the series and even a 60-page art book WITH TRANSLATED TEXT!

Or, $70 for a complete, 13 episode series with a chipboard box on blu ray/DVD combo pack. May even come with commentaries and exclusive info on the show.

Yeah, my money is for funi.

• If I'm buying a series on discs at all, then I'll happily pay Aniplex or import-from-Japan prices for the bestest, most awesome set I can get. (As long as it has English subs at a minimum. I won't pay that much for something I can't actually understand.) If I don't like a series enough to splurge on it, then I don't like it enough to dedicate shelf space to it.

But let's be honest, my opinion largely reflects that I can afford to pay those prices without stressing about it. A lot of people these days would have to sacrifice somewhere else in exchange, and I certainly can't fault anyone unwilling to.

That said… I am desperately hoping for a true deluxe-packaging LE of Yuri Kuma Arashi.

• Most of the time if I like a show enough to buy it I'll go for getting the Limited Edition, especially with Funi since their normal LEs (not the Premium sets) are only a few dollars more. Premium Editions depend entirely on how much I like the show in question and what bonuses it comes with.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I don't know why, but I've come to love Aniplex LEs. My most recent purchase was PMMM: Rebellion, and it came with a nice box, a Blu-ray/DVD combo of the film, a CD, postcards, and an informational booklet. If FUNimation started to release sets with CDs, that would be AMAZING! Thinking about it, it would have been great if FUNi released one of the Cowboy Bebop sets with a CD.

• ^ Must be nice having all that income to blow on what basically amounts to cheap pieces of paper (seriously, that's all postcards are; I work in the promotional items business, and postcards are worth only about 16¢ each).

Although I'll admit the CDs are nice. Whether they're an extra $40+ nice, though, is up for debate. -_-

For me? It's not so much the cost. It's just that I don't see those things being worth the extra cost. I refuse to accept that "Show A" is worth more than "Show B" even when Show B is more popular than the other. Even if Aniplex does offer CDs and booklets and stuff, we've seen other companies such as NISA and FUNi offer the same damn thing, with comparable quality, at a fraction of the cost.

So no. I don't accept "that signature Aniplex quality" as an acceptable answer. It all seems like apples & oranges to me, and being on a tight budget as I am, I absolutely refuse to spend my money on things I find frivolous.

Here's how I think of it: FUNimation may charge you for a Toyota Corolla, but you get a Toyota Corolla. Meanwhile, Aniplex charges you for a BMW and gives you a KIA.

• @bossman12340:

I don't know why, but I've come to love Aniplex LEs.

I wish I could afford Aniplex LEs. I splurged for SAO, but when it's $360 for a series on LE Bu-Ray, or $240 for a series on bare bones DVD, its hard to find fault with anything Funimation puts out at $60 or less.

• To SpacemanHardy:

Oh, I don't have the instant money to spend on Aniplex sets (I wish I did). But when I do get an Aniplex set on occasion, I love it. But, I do have to agree with you on the "Toyota, KIA" thing. In my collection, FUNimation takes the cake on the amount of sets because of the prices.

In conclusion, to wrap up this discussion, I will forever love my few Aniplex LEs, but still treasure my FUNimation sets. I think it's just that I've come to accept Aniplex's pricing. Though, the only Aniplex LEs I have are probably some their cheapest ones. Their pricing can get to INSANE levels ($120 for barebones PMMM series sets, $400 for F/SN: UBW which only contains the first 12 or 13 episodes, etc.). I'm on a tight budget, too. Any Aniplex set I buy I count as a special occasion.

• @SpacemanHardy:

So no. I don't accept "that signature Aniplex quality" as an acceptable answer. It all seems like apples & oranges to me, and being on a tight budget as I am, I absolutely refuse to spend my money on things I find frivolous.

Prior to myself purchasing anything Aniplex, I had already owned a few LE releases from FUNimation. However, after buying some of Aniplex's releases there is definitely a noticeable difference in packaging materials. The boxes have texture to them, the artwork is vividly printed, and even the plastic cases themselves feel more solid. Just the outer plastic wrap the second Persona movie came in was nice enough that I just kept it around.

Am I necessarily getting more content for my money? No, not really. But the impression of quality that I got from Aniplex's releases is far superior to anything FUNimation I have bought (which I think is a good quantity). That includes the LE version of Cowboy Bebop. Now I still can't justify myself spending $400+ on 12 episodes, but drop that to around $100 and give me what I've gotten from Aniplex and I'll pay it.

• I usually buy standard editions because when i buy shows I buy for content of the show. Not a big chipboard box that takes a ton of space on my shelf and has the same artwork as the standard edition.

However if a LE comes with extra content like artbook/CD then I will consider purchasing it because it comes with extra content related to the show. That's what makes an LE truly worth it imo!

• @SpacemanHardy:

Although I'll admit the CDs are nice. Whether they're an extra $40+ nice, though, is up for debate.

Certainly. Each person values things differently, and in the end something's worth what you're willing to pay for it. I've purchased OST CDs from Japan that cost roughly $30-35, so it's not too hard for me to swallow paying more if an anime comes with a CD. Other people might value the CD less and not see the extra expense as worth it, especially when other NA companies have similar releases for much lower prices.

I didn't buy Funi's Titan Premium Editions even though I love the show because I could get what I wanted at the LE level. The PE bonus items weren't worth it to me. But other people clearly saw value in those items that warranted buying the Premium sets over the other, cheaper options.