Will One Piece English Dub Catch Up?

• At the rate that One Piece is being dubbed right now, will it catch up to the Japanese version? Around when could we expect to see the episodes in the 500s.

• Seeing as how they license episodes of One Piece in "blocks", there's really no way to give a definitive answer. Rest assured, however, it's still going to be a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

• At the rate that the dubs are happening currently, I'd say no. I'm pretty sure that dubs are being released at a slower pace than new episodes are coming out, but I could be wrong. In any case, they're definitely not coming out quickly enough to over-take the 400 episode gap any time within the next decade or two. But that's just according to the current pace. Maybe they'll manage to power through a crap ton of One Piece all at once sometime in the near future.

• I'm hearing rumors that the last 12 episodes of thriller bark will be released digitally on May 19th. Is that true?

• And yes it is I found funimation's tweet.

• Yea lets hope they scan speed things up! I can't wait for the Impel Down and Marineford arcs to be dubbed.

• Is there any word as to when the last 12 episodes for the thriller bark arc are gonna be put on the funimation app?
    I wanna see Zoro take on Kuma in English lol

• @dhog4122:

Is there any word as to when the last 12 episodes for the thriller bark arc are gonna be put on the funimation app?
    I wanna see Zoro take on Kuma in English lol

As I literally said two posts above yours, funimation unfortunately announced a May 19th release date (why so late!) for the streaming of those episodes. https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/583688756802281472

I couldn't resist and ended up buying a copy of the episodes at my local F.Y.E. (only cost $30 so why wouldn't I). Turns out there are a few technical changes this time around like no song lyrics and changing the kanji into English text. I put it in sub and the lyrics did pop up and the English text was reverted to kanji so I guess the translated stuff had some problems being integrated into the streaming servers.

• FUNimation license episodes in what they consider seasons. FUNimation are not allowed to release dubbed episodes until a decent amount time passes after they released on DVD in Japan. With a lot of anime, the dub must be a certain amount of episodes/time behind the original

When FUNimation first licensed the first 3 seasons the episodes were released at about the same pace as the new episodes airing in Japan. After that they had a long hiatus that lasted over a year. Recently with season 4 onwards, they have been releasing the episodes at a faster rate with short hiatuses in between seasons.

If FUNimation were to catch up as much as they could they would probably only be allowed to go up to the end of Fishman Island, and then wait a while.

So really, we can never really truly catch up unless we have a broadcast dub. FUNimation's brand manager for One Piece, Josh Kocurek, did discuss the possibility of a broadcast dub on a recent episode of the One Piece Podcast. However, broadcast dubs are extremely rare and wouldn't get my hopes up for that.

• @AutoOps:

If FUNimation were to catch up as much as they could they would probably only be allowed to go up to the end of Fishman Island, and then wait a while.

Just googled it and that's around episode 576? So that would be a lot better than where the dub currently is. It would only be behind by around 200 episodes as opposed to 400 episodes. Hopefully they can start dubbing it faster.

• @sports1000:

Just googled it and that's around episode 576? So that would be a lot better than where the dub currently is. It would only be behind by around 200 episodes as opposed to 400 episodes. Hopefully they can start dubbing it faster.

Lmao the show is on episode 688 where are you getting 200 episodes behind? 688 - 576 = 112 episodes.

• @dabkowski:

Lmao the show is on episode 688 where are you getting 200 episodes behind? 688 - 576 = 112 episodes.

Even better! By the way, I only watch the English dub so that was just a guess.