What is the meaning of the E in the top left corner of some shows?

• Strange that there is no legend somewhere explaining this symbol… I ASSUME it means the dubs have expired (why ever the hell that happens) or is otherwise only available in subtitles... which makes one wonder why it's not an S or a D for the respective options... why a boxy white E in a red field, I don't understand.

EDIT: After looking a bit more, I have to now assume that it means Subscriber access for some aspect oft he show, be it dubs, better qualities, or something.

To which I ask... why the hell is an E used to mean Subscriber access?????? Or hell, maybe it's a mathematical symbol? or something? every answer is confusing and ridiculous o.O

• Nope, the "E" stands for "Elite", meaning that you have to be a subscriber - or an "Elite Member" - in order to watch that particular version of the show.

Usually, FUNi puts up the first 4 or so episodes of the dub to reel people in, but if they want to finish it, then they have to subscribe. That's what the "E" stands for.

So if you're a subscriber, then no worries! You can access everything on the site.

If not, though, then the "E" is there to tell you what you can and cannot watch.

• @Kingshivan:

EDIT: After looking a bit more, I have to now assume that it means Subscriber access for some aspect oft he show, be it dubs, better qualities, or something.

To which I ask… why the hell is an E used to mean Subscriber access?????? Or hell, maybe it's a mathematical symbol? or something? every answer is confusing and ridiculous o.O

Subscribing used to mean you were an Elite Subscriber (hence the E indicating which shows and/or episodes were for subscribers only), but they don't use that terminology anymore. Since they split the subscription services into SubPass and All-AccessPass, the E icon is now pretty outdated and unclear

Yeah they should probably redo the icon. I assume they're working on it to better differentiate the difference between a SubPass and an All-AccessPass, but they haven't mentioned anything about it

• ohhhh, elite…. gotcha... .....I didn't see the word elite anywhere!!!! Ahhh I'm going blind!

EDIT: Ah, that makes sense, Riles. Thank you! and you as well, Hardy!

• Yeah, to be fair, the "Elite" moniker is kind of outdated at this point. It harkens back to this 3-year-old commercial they still put on their DVDs to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqdOHEV3CA

• I'm guessing calling your sub members Elite is not taken well by most free access users so it was changed? Sounds a bit snobbish

• no, it was changed because they added a new subscription tier.

• The E on a video thumbnail indicates that the video is subscriber exclusive. The E on a show thumbnail indicates that the show contains exclusive content.

The E used to stand for "Elite". When we changed the name of the subscription service to "FUNimation Subscription Service", we decided to change the meaning to "Exclusive", so that we didn't have to change the E.

The name of the service itself was changed because we wanted the service to encompass more than just Video. It was actually the "Video" in "Elite Video Subscription" that was the issue. We changed "Elite" because we just didn't like it. ~_^

• FWIW, the meaning of the E is in the FAQ, but I guess we need to work on making that more visible.

Edit: Nevermind, I lied to myself. The E is NOT in the FAQ.

Edit: Now, it's in the FAQ. -_-V

• @Sophie:

FWIW, the meaning of the E is in the FAQ, but I guess we need to work on making that more visible.

Edit: Nevermind, I lied to myself. The E is NOT in the FAQ.

Edit: Now, it's in the FAQ. -_-V

Thanks for this, Sophie; however, Funimation's FAQ is so extensive that it took forever to find. I don't think it would take your web designers any time to incorporate a legend at the bottom of the episode grid/list view pages. Would have saved me a half hour trying to figure this out instead of watching more anime.

Just sayin'.

• So I can't access any videos at all that have a E on it? Well what I am trying to say is I can never ever access the EP??

• @LunarMoonStageElite:

So I can't access any videos at all that have a E on it?

You need to have a subscription to view videos marked with an "E". Dubbed "E" videos require All-Access, subtitled you can get away with a SubPass.