Are JRPGs making a comeback?

• The JRPG is a niche genre for gamers. In a world filled of Call Of Duty, Battlefield, and Minecraft, JRPG fans get left out of the dust. There will still be Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Tales games for the mainstream audiences. Back then, JRPGs were a small fanbase devoted to their favorite games such as Phantasy Star, Lunar, Grandia, Secret Of Mana, etc. Over time, more JRPGs began to be made to the rising success with Final Fantasy VII, which is one of most beloved JRPGs of all time. Before that happened, Squaresoft (Now Square-Enix) made a slew of JRPGs only for Nintendo consoles as Sega was with Phantasy Star.

After Final Fantasy VII, more JRPGs tried to outdo Final Fantasy VII, some were pretty on par with the said game, others didn't do so well. Once Square switched from Nintendo to Sony to technical reasons (being that Final Fantasy VII was originally a Nintendo 64 game) Games like Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and Legend Of Dragoon did well on the PlayStation. Even after going to the PlayStation 2, JRPGs kept going like Skies Of Arcadia for the Sega Dreamcast, Tales of Symphonia for the Nintendo GameCube, and Kingdom Hearts for the PlayStation 2. JRPGs were still a popular genre until Final Fantasy XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII is one of the most bashed game of the Seven Generation of consoles. Either you love it or hate it, I think Final Fantasy XIII was okay,It wasn't good or bad but okay. I didn't like most of the characters, some of them are cheap knock-offs of characters. The story wasn't all that breathtaking, which I won't spoil. However, I do like the gameplay of the battle system. I think it was kind of unique for the game. The experienced points system is something that ticked me off. You don't just get your experience points after battle , you have to save them in Crystalium Points (or CP). I liked how you get healed automatically after a battle to save on healing items. I don't like that you don't earn Gil after battle, To earn Gil, you have to sell some rare items or find them in Treasure Spheres (That's right. They're literally floating with Treasure in them. Some of the bosses are tough that you have to level up your stats before you battle the boss. Instead of 1 levels of experience, you have to fill up six levels of experiences to increase strength, HP, and gain skills in battles such as Flamestrike when you combine fire with attack. As for world traveling, it's linear compared to other Final Fantasy games due to limitations of the game to be released on two consoles. (The PS3 and the Xbox 360) Plus, there is no Airships, Cars, Boats to ride. Only there are Chocobos (Which are useful for finding treasure) and warp-pads as a excuse for no other transportation.

Man, I went off-topic and turned it a review of Final Fantasy XIII. Now, back on topic.

After XII, many people gave up on JRPGs and most went to Call Of Duty and Assassin's Creed. JRPGs didn't go away very as Tales Of Xillia and a recreation of Final Fantasy XIV. (The original was a huge disappointment bigger than XIII.) Pier Solar was released for Sega Genesis in 2010 (The HD Remaster was released not long ago.) Xenoblade Chronicles became a hit for Nintendo. (Since they owned Monolith Soft.) Indie JRPGs like Edge Of Eternity are funded with love from the fandom. One question still remains. Are JRPGs making a comeback?

The answer is that JRPGs are still here even in their low times where JRPGs weren't mainstream. They will always still be here as a sub-genre to the Role-Playing game community.

• JRPGs will always be around, but the question is how many are going to hit American shelves? The Japanese still love RPGs, the west not as much.

• Can't wait for FFXV , been watching some demo gameplay on twitch this week and it looks quite good.

• @tattooedangel:

Can't wait for FFXV , been watching some demo gameplay on twitch this week and it looks quite good.

Me too as wel.

• I hope JRPGs make a comeback. I saw a lot of them at the PS3/PS Vita section at GameStop last Friday and I was ecstatic at the amount of JRPGs.

• I think they are making a comeback. however I never want a battle system like FF 12 again, they could not decide what they wanted to be, turn based or action based. I to this day have yet to get very far in that game because of the combat system alone

• I love playing JPRGs, but the problem is that a majority of them get released on handhelds. I don't have a handheld, so I missed out on a lot of great JRPGs, such as Dragon Quest 9 and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core.

• When did JRPGs ever leave? Or more accurately, when did they ever arrive?

They've had about the same popularity in the entire history of their localization. FFVII is a notable exception, as is the Kingdom Hearts series, but I wouldn't really consider either one to be the soothsayers of the genre. It's not like either one spawned an explosion of clones or oversaturation

JRPGs have never been mainstream, so I don't really know what sort of comeback you're predicting here. At no point have they had more popularity than first person shooters, and they didn't exist back when side-scrollers ruled video games. Other than, like, the rhythm gaming explosion from 2008-2010, and the sandbox shooter era we're currently in, I don't see how you can consider any other genre to have been mainstream in the history of gaming. Only a select handful of RPG games have received mainstream popularity (including Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect/Dragon Age, and maybe Fallout), and even then, none of these games have managed to get anywhere near Granny Diablo or Grandpa WoW

• Over-hyping a game, anime, or a movie can ruin the experience.

• @torrin:

JRPGs will always be around, but the question is how many are going to hit American shelves? The Japanese still love RPGs, the west not as much.

Agreed though i love them especially Grandia 2!

• @Zethus:

Over-hyping a game, anime, or a movie can ruin the experience.

Indeed it can!

• i personally agree i love jrpgs allways have so lets hope they do make a come back

• 2016 is the year that Final Fantasy XV gets released (finally after a decade of waiting) and Persona 5 (I haven't played any of the Persona games).

• @Zethus:

2016 is the year that Final Fantasy XV gets released (finally after a decade of waiting) and Persona 5 (I haven't played any of the Persona games).

It really has been forever lol

• A lot of great JRPGS on the 3ds. Stella Glow is amazing get it!