Darker Than Black Season 1 Premium Edition Blu-ray Packaging Revealed- Discussion

• On rightstuf.com, the Darker Than Black Season 1 Blu-ray Premium Edition packaging is up! Feel free to discuss the packaging and give your thoughts on it. Is it good? Is it worth the price?

EDIT: Now seeing more images on FUNi's blog post, I have to say that I am now conflicted. Upon further inspection, you can tell that the box is well over the height of TWO Blu-ray discs. Seriously? I thought that it would be a little bit shorter. A chipboard box is MUCH more comfortable on my shelf that something like that. Despite this, I am keeping my pre-order. Once an unboxing video is uploaded on FUNimation's YouTube channel, I will make my final decision.

FUNimation is releasing the new Blu-ray edition in May 2015.

Image link: http://www.rightstuf.com/rsimages/primary/fun07473.jpg

RightStuf product link: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/KIMPJ2HZZuCKWQkGSo/browse/item/104959/4/0/0

• Can't say I care for it. I'll be passing. I gave it some thought, and while I really like the show this just isn't the product for me. I'm happy with the DVDs for now. I'll just gamble and wait for whatever the future holds.

• As I said in my topic of this, I'm in for it. This is a series I'm willing to put more money into (unless it's the sequel). When I placed my order on rightstuf it was during their FUNimation sale, and this title was discounted to about $60. For the actual packaging, it's definitely not anything impressive, but being Blu-ray was enough for me.

• I broke down and pre-ordered it. At first I was very put off by how much it cost, but because RightStuf had it marked down to $59.95, and because I'm a Got Anime? subscriber, I was able to get it for only 54 bucks. Now that I've seen what the packaging actually looks like, I think I got a pretty good deal for what I paid. :)

• @Firefly:

Can't say I care for it. I'll be passing. I gave it some thought, and while I really like the show this just isn't the product for me. I'm happy with the DVDs for now. I'll just gamble and wait for whatever the future holds.

Even though I pre-ordered it, I can still see why some people won't get it, even if they enjoyed the series. FUNimation even said that this release, if successful, could pave the way for future releases.

@CostlyAxis:

As I said in my topic of this, I'm in for it. This is a series I'm willing to put more money into (unless it's the sequel). When I placed my order on rightstuf it was during their FUNimation sale, and this title was discounted to about $60. For the actual packaging, it's definitely not anything impressive, but being Blu-ray was enough for me.

Yeah, the packaging isn't anything "new", but I still think it looks pretty polished. As for the $60 price tag, I thought that was great.

@SpacemanHardy:

I broke down and pre-ordered it. At first I was very put off by how much it cost, but because RightStuf had it marked down to $59.95, and because I'm a Got Anime? subscriber, I was able to get it for only 54 bucks. Now that I've seen what the packaging actually looks like, I think I got a pretty good deal for what I paid. :)

Yeah, the packaging looks good for the price tag, which I think was a steal. The fact that this new Blu-ray was announced at the same time RightStuf had a 40% off FUNimation sale is really unbelievable.

• It was only $50 at Robert's Corner Anime store.

I am more of a fan of standard editions but the art book really makes this tempting since I really do like art books.

• I'd prefer a more standard sized box to display on my shelves, but I enjoy Darker than Black enough to go for it still. That's the reason why I opted for the Amazon version of Cowboy Bebop over the Funi version. Though the $54.99 price I pre-ordered it for during the rightstuf sale is hard to turn away from. I'd be more hesitant to go for it at a higher price.

• @Barbobot:

I'd prefer a more standard sized box to display on my shelves, but I enjoy Darker than Black enough to go for it still. That's the reason why I opted for the Amazon version of Cowboy Bebop over the Funi version. Though the $54.99 price I pre-ordered it for during the rightstuf sale is hard to turn away from. I'd be more hesitant to go for it at a higher price.

I'm basically like Barbobot on all of this, including the comment about the Cowboy Bebop releases - although I feel a little more strongly about it. The majority of the hardcore collectors on the anime forums I hang out on are quite disappointed with this release - nothing but negative comments about the packaging in the DTB threads. The latest product images show this will be another large, flat disc package with cardboard slots for the discs, similar to the Funi Bebop Exclusive. As soon as I saw the un-boxing video for the Funi Bebop version, I cancelled that pre-order and went solely with the Amazon Exclusive. Unfortunately, there is no alternate packaging version of this DTB release, so we're stuck with either buying it or not, period.

Enough already with these useless, oversized "Collector's Editions" that the majority of anime collectors don't even want. Follow Japan's lead on Collector Editions - just make it a premium-quality, wider-than-the-normal-LE chipboard box set so that it will fit on a standard DVD media shelf, and will be able to store both seasons of discs. Most people don't have the room to display or store all these odd-ball, over-sized packages that Funi somehow thinks are so appealing to everyone. And seriously, lose those dang cardboard slots for the discs already - that's just a cheap cost-cutting solution that has no place in a so-called "Collector's Edition." I would never store discs long-term in cardboard slot packaging, I'll immediately remove them and put the discs in a proper case. If the discs are not stored in a plastic case or digipak with actual hubs for the discs, if the case is not sized so it will fit on a standard DVD/Blu-ray media shelf, and if it doesn't provide storage for additional seasons if they already exist, then Funi is going to loose a lot of potential sales for Collector's Editions. I suppose they don't really care, though, since the CE's are always produced in such limited copies that they will be almost guaranteed to sell out anyway. But it still doesn't change the fact that even the most hardcore anime collectors don't care for silly packaging like this, and are not actually clawing and scratching to get their hands on them just because of some "unique" packaging design.

I grudgingly bought this set only because it was fairly inexpensive as far as CE's go, but I have no intention of keeping the crummy packaging - the blu-ray discs and post cards I'm removing and "Frankensteining" into the Season 2 LE chipboard box set, the art book will go on a separate book self with other anime books I own, and all the useless over-sized packaging is going directly into the trash can. I'll have to make sure I include that footage in my un-boxing video when I get my set…

• I'm not usually one to comment on message boards but I feel that these opinions need to be stated. My thoughts echo t-roy's sentiments exactly. I'm in Canada and, since our dollar has tanked recently, I haven't been ordering from the US much at all. I was so happy when this popped up on amazon canada as a pre-order and for the somewhat reasonable $69.99 price tag. I am a big fan of the first season of DTB and I had all but given up hope on seeing a blu-ray release in NA. I waited with bated breath for images of the CE configuration. Now that I've seen it… I've cancelled my order.

I simply cannot stand these oversized, useless editions. I have no want, need or desire to 'display' something like this. I don't have the space. I just wanted the show on blu-ray, a decent chipboard box that sits along with the rest of my collection, and any art books or anything like that are a bonus (never looked at one more than once.) Don't even get me started with the cardboard slot packaging! I'm beyond disappointed. I simply can't spend that sort of money on three blu-ray discs and then have to figure out where I'm going to store them. Maybe if I had the season 2 LE box I might have considered it. It shouldn't be this way. I will have to hold out hope that enough people enjoy this packaging and that it sells well enough to warrant a standard blu-ray edition in the future.

• Im so upset by this i just bought the first season over the holidays and now they put out this x.x

• To the users "t-roy" and "blueperiod4":

Upon further inspection, I too realized how massive the set is. FUNimation's new blog post revealed the packaging to be well over the height of two Blu-ray discs. In other words, the set is way too freaking big. I'm going to wait it out, though. If FUNimation releases an unboxing video soon, I will make my decision then.

• Im in the same boat as most of you, I would have preferred to see a actual box style case (just seats on the shelf much better). Darker than black is a favorite, so it was a must buy for me. On another note I would have also like to have seen a spot in the housing to put season 2, since it isn't getting a limited or premium release.

Anyone else curious to see what other titles they give the premium treatment too? Besides Soul Eater which has no content photos yet.

• @edwinca93:

Im in the same boat as most of you, I would have preferred to see a actual box style case (just seats on the shelf much better). Darker than black is a favorite, so it was a must buy for me. On another note I would have also like to have seen a spot in the housing to put season 2, since it isn't getting a limited or premium release.

Anyone else curious to see what other titles they give the premium treatment too? Besides Soul Eater which has no content photos yet.

Darker Than Black Season 2 came out in a "limited edition" some time back, but it was just the second season with an artbox.

As for other titles getting the premium edition treatment, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is most likely going to be announced soon. FMA: B never got a premium edition, and since it's a popular title, it will no doubt get a premium release at some point. Also, if FUNimation manages to get the original FMA Blu-ray content over here, they would put it in a special package as well.

EDIT: And since Code Geass belongs to FUNi now, they will totally put it in a premium/limited edition.

• @bossman12340:

EDIT: And since Code Geass belongs to FUNi now, they will totally put it in a premium/limited edition.

And I will pay good money for it. The only thing that is keeping me from just buying the Japanese 5.1 releases is the lack of subtitles, not the price.

• @bossman12340:

Darker Than Black Season 2 came out in a "limited edition" some time back, but it was just the second season with an artbox.

As for other titles getting the premium edition treatment, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is most likely going to be announced soon. FMA: B never got a premium edition, and since it's a popular title, it will no doubt get a premium release at some point. Also, if FUNimation manages to get the original FMA Blu-ray content over here, they would put it in a special package as well.

I know the second season got a limited edition run, and its impossible to find. I wasn't fortunate enough to get it when they where selling them (late to the collecting game). But It would have been awesome if there was space in the new case to put the second season.

I definitely agree with you on the FMA, and Code Geass is definitely due for a Limited/Premium release.

My hope for this year (or next year) is a Neon Genesis Evangelion, HD remastered release in Blu-ray. I know Japan is getting it in August, so we can only hope ;)

• Darker than black season 1 and season 2 is my third favorite anime (yes I rank them, its tough). I am excited to get a blu-ray release and have pre-ordered. I could go without the fan art, extras, etc - but this is one show I must watch in blu-ray. Personally, I would like a regular blu-ray disc box with some fancy discs / art or whatever. This will look funny on my shelf but oh well.

• I'm am buying it and what I am going to do is place the BD's in my DTB season two case and place the dvd's in the PE package and give season 1 and 2 dvd's to my friend I think that is what i'll do haha clears up space for more anime…. not for sure at the moment but that is what I am thinking.

• @kaishino:

I'm am buying it and what I am going to do is place the BD's in my DTB season two case and place the dvd's in the PE package and give season 1 and 2 dvd's to my friend I think that is what i'll do haha clears up space for more anime…. not for sure at the moment but that is what I am thinking.

You know thats not a bad idea at all, I wish I would have thought of that!

• I'm only getting this to support Funimation in hopes they might release a regular Bluray or a combo pack down the line. I read somewhere if this sells well they'll make it, but I have no plans on opening it, I might just leave it as is for a collectors piece. I'm ordering the DVD set of this season for now.