Hypothetical!

• Ok so you have a friend/family member who has never seen an anime and they tell you they'll give one a try, and it is your only chance to get them into anime. You give them one they like and they're hooked, you give them one they don't like they will never watch an anime ever again. (not limited to only funimation animes)

What would you recommend to them and what is there relation to you and why did you pick the anime for them?

As for me: My father: Attack on Titan, he LOVED Lost and Walking Dead so I think AoT would be a good mix of the two.
    My best friend: High School DxD, he and I like that sort of thing.
    My mother: toss-up between steins;gate or spice and wolf, she likes the Big Bang Theory and likes comdies and drama in general
    My other best friend: Attack on Titan or D-Frag, She likes zombies and is a gamer so I feel both would be a good match.
    My brother: Fate/Zero, Akame ga Kill, Log Horizon, Hellsing Ultimate, really anything that I loved I know he'd like too!

• When all else fails, Studio Ghibli. You can almost never go wrong with Ghibli (unless you show them something like Tales from Earthsea).

Also pretty much any Mamoru Hosada movie works too.

• id start someone off with cowboy bebop of course.

or even grave of the fireflies if those dont get them hooked, or crying like a baby.
    just consider them a lost cause :)

• I concur with SpacemanHardy on Mamoru Hosada movies. Not just because they are great but I think convincing someone to watch a movie is a lot easier than watching 24 or even 13 episode TV series. If they like the movies afterwards introduce them to some series.

Summer Wars would be my top pick for just about anyone ^_^

• @torrin:

I concur with SpacemanHardy on Mamoru Hosada movies. Not just because they are great but I think convincing someone to watch a movie is a lot easier than watching 24 or even 13 episode TV series. If they like the movies afterwards introduce them to some series.

Summer Wars would be my top pick for just about anyone ^_^

But I couldn't think of any movie that I have seen aside from the girl who leapt through time (i think that's the title). I mean yea movies could be a good start for people, but when you know someone well enough you ought to be able to know right off the bat what they would like and what they wouldn't like. A show leaves more to be desired unlike a movie without sequels. Tell me that Attack on Titan or DxD doesn't leave you wanting to know what happens next, especially with the cliff-hangars they have!

• If your dealing with a friend or family member who is going to give anime a try for one. You have at least some idea what kind of shows they like form regular movies and tv they watch so picking an anime title of similar genre would be a good way to go. Say they like Music. Well you could show then Baccano, Detroit Metal City, K-on even as example. Same with other genres. I don't this with some work friends know what kinds of movies they like and told them some anime they might like.

Also anime movies are a great way to go. Even though they have ending and don't have the big cliff hangers like shows like AoA and co. They still offer a lot to the viewer and often get people to at least venture a it further into the anime viewing world. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howls Moving Castle are some excellent choices to start off with. Summer Wars and Wolf Children are some fine ones as well.

• I would start anyone off with one of Miyazaki's films- for a war buff, I'd recommend The Wind Rises, for a romance/fantasy fan, Howl's Moving Castle.

There's a lot to be said for Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell - those two series are probably what got most viewers into anime and I would still recommend for teen viewers, along with Attack on Titan and FMA Brotherhood. However, my recommended "first" anime for any adult viewer would be Mushi-Shi - it's a masterpiece with nary a false step to be found within the entire series.

• Anime isn't what I would call a universal entertainment, even among its own fans, and that means that the non-fans, or in this case, the uninitiated are even less likely to speak its language. What I'm saying is that, anime has changed a lot in just the last ten years, and even more from where it was when I started it longer than that. moe and sister anime titles have come to the forefront, and while there is a huge acceptance of those sorts of anime from within the fan community, it widens even further the gap for potential new viewership past a certain age range and mindset.

If you really don't think movies are the way to go, then I recommend steering clear of riskier titles that would require more explanation than necessary; culture heavy titles should be a no-go, as someone not familiar with Japanese culture wouldn't get it, or the pop-culture references (sorry Lucky Star, you're out).

It might not be what a lot of people would want to hear, or care to consider, but the older anime titles would do better to showcase what Japanese animation has to offer than a lot of the newer culturally heavy; panty heavy; moe heavy titles could offer.

I'd have to throw out titles like, Dominion Tank Police, Gunsmith Cats, Trigun, Slayers, Cowboy Bebop, Gunbuster, Vampire Hunter D shows that still to a degree retain a certain type of look and feel. Shock-slapping someone with any one of a dozen newer titles like, Dance in the Vampire Bund or, Highschool DxD is like openly setting oneself up to unnecessary or premature crticism.

• I have to agree here, the older stuff has a more broad appeal, that's why anime hit such heights of mainstream appeal in the 90s/early 2000s. It just came off as more accessible to the average viewer.

• I suppose you could go with older anime for the sake of higher quality and broader appeal, but the problem there is that - depending on how old we're talking - it might not be all that easy on the eyes for a newcomer. And even 12 episode series would be feel like a nuisance for most people.

I'd stick with recent movies. I could give examples, but at this point it just depends on what the viewer is into.