Spring Simulcast Prediction Thread

• With March around the corner, only a month remains until the beginning of the Spring simulcast season as well as the forthcoming announcements of who will be streaming and acquiring rights to what. This season Funimation had probably it's biggest Simulcast selection ever. 17 shows in total, with 7 of them being continuing seasons and 2nd halfs of shows already obtained and 10 being brand new show IPs for Funimation. Most of the shows in the Winter Simulcast season will be ending soon leaving a lot of room for some new shows in the Spring Season. So this is a speculation thread mind you, as well as of stuff I personally would like to see.

Also feel free to leave your thoughts about what you think has a chance of being picked up.

Continuing for Spring Season:
    Assassination Classroom
    Fairy Tail
    One Piece (are you even surprised?)

Spring Simulcast Predictions:

High School DxD BorN (TNK)- They already own rights to the previous seasons and it's pretty successful. Most likely a guaranteed pickup. Also probably likely for Broadcast Dub too with an established cast.

Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture (Production I.G.) - Same deal as BorN, they have the rights to GitS Arise and a voice cast already. Series is basically a retelling of the 4 OVAs with new stuff and two extra episodes at the end.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (Satelight) - Spinoff series to the popular Haruhi Suzumiya anime in an alternative universe where the main heroine is not Haruhi, but Yuki Nagato. Another one I would like to see as well as knowing that last year they announced several Bandai title rescues, one of which including the Haruhi Suzumiya series. I think it's likely anyway.

Seraph of the End (Wit Studio) - This one looks like the next big action show of the season. Animation looks great, Hiroyuki Sawano as Composer is always a good thing even for bad shows coughAldnoah.Zerocough and it just seems like it can be a great action show. Seems like a great pickup to me.

Food Wars (J.C. Staff) - I ain't too big on ecchi stuff but just the concept of intense kitchen battles where taking bites of food goes into these overdramatized orgasm faces is just a hilariously stupid concept. I'd watch it, and then proceed to get hungry.

Plastic Memories (Dogakobo) - I don't really know anything about this one aside from the fact that it looks like a sci-fi drama/slice of life story. That's all I got but from what little I know it at least interests me.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (LIDEN FILMS & Sanzigen) - Seems to be a long running action series with a sort of historical fantasy feudal era Japan setting. Also the manga version of it was worked on by Hiromu Arakawa of FMA fame so that at least leaves me curious.

Punchline (MAPPA) - The more I see of this one the less I actually understand just what it is. It looks very colorful and goofy full of action and cute girls. These guys have done some great stuff in the past and it's another original show, so I can't wait to see what they do with it and hope it turns out great.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (J.C. Staff) - The title alone may be thought provoking but the show itself seems like a goofy action rom-com light novel show. Looks interesting so I'll keep it on my radar.

Blood Blockade Battlefront (BONES) - Title in English may be a bit of a Tongue twister but this show from the preview I saw of it looks pretty damn cool actually. Action-fantasy series directed by Studio Bones is always a very nice combination and this looks to be another similar title in that regard.

Ninja Slayer (Studio Trigger) - This last one may or may not even come to be, but Trigger has done some really awesome stuff with Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill so I am hoping they can pull off that same greatness again in this.

So yeah these are a couple shows I can see Funimation picking up for the Spring Simulcast. There's probably a couple of these I'll get wrong but now that I've done my speculating I just wait and see. What do you guys wanna see them get in the Spring Season? You want to see what's coming out in the Spring along with some previews, here's a link: https://livechart.me/spring

• Figured 11 was a good number anyway for what they might pickup.

• I can already tell you Plastic Memories is an Aniplex title, so there's roughly a 99% chance it'll go to AoA instead.

• Blood Blockade Battlefront
    Show By Rock!!
    Kyoukai no Rinne
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Plastic Memories
    Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
    Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture
    High School DxD BorN
    Seraph of the End
    Triage X
    Rainy Cocoa

• @SpacemanHardy:

I can already tell you Plastic Memories is an Aniplex title, so there's roughly a 99% chance it'll go to AoA instead.

Is it actually?

Oh just checked it out on MAL, Aniplex is one of the producers. You're probably right on that I just hadn't noticed. I more or less just assumed anything that was animated by A1 Pictures was automatically going to Aniplex already as well as the 2nd Half of Fate/Stay Night UBW.

Also considering my luck AoA is probably also picking up Ninja Slayer too. But hey I didn't even catch that, thanks.

• Aniplex has been credited as a producer on a lot of things that weren't licensed by AoA. Love Lab, Darker Than Black, A-Channel, Naruto, Bleach, Sekirei, Robotics;Notes, etc. Heck, Shiki has Aniplex's logo burned into the corner of its physical box despite being a Funimation release

As far as I'm aware, the only one that's truly pseudo off-limits to everyone except AoA is A-1 pictures, whose parent company is Aniplex - and even then, stuff like Fairy Tail and Black Butler still manages to slip out

• we'll probably find out who has it in a couple weeks. AoA is usually the first to announce what they have each season and most announcements are about 2 weeks before the shows air

• I just read through the list linked in the first post and noticed another Lupin III series on there; I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet, considering Funimation got The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

• @Riles:

Aniplex has been credited as a producer on a lot of things that weren't licensed by AoA. Love Lab, Darker Than Black, A-Channel, Naruto, Bleach, Sekirei, Robotics;Notes, etc. Heck, Shiki has Aniplex's logo burned into the corner of its physical box despite being a Funimation release

As far as I'm aware, the only one that's truly pseudo off-limits to everyone except AoA is A-1 pictures, whose parent company is Aniplex - and even then, stuff like Fairy Tail and Black Butler still manages to slip out

The vast majority of the shows you listed were all licensed before AoA effectively went on the warpath. If they had been made a few years later, I have no doubt that Sekirei and Darker Than Black (hence why the DtB bluray set is just now being released and why it's so much more expensive than other BD sets of a show its age) would all have been licensed by AoA instead of FUNi. In Robotics;Notes' case, the main production committee was Fuji TV, who also handled the international rights.

As for the two A-1 shows you listed, you need to realize that A-1 does do work that's completely disconnected from Aniplex entirely. Fairy Tail is one such show, as were Galillei Donna and From the New World, which, as you may recall, were each licensed by companies other than Aniplex. As for Black Butler, FUNimation probably either has first refusal rights to the series due to their licensing of the first two seasons, or they just paid a LOT of money in order to get it.

@GalaxyCrisis:

I just read through the list linked in the first post and noticed another Lupin III series on there; I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet, considering Funimation got The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Very unlikely, as Lupin has generally sold very poorly for FUNi. The movies they originally had the license to have long been out of print, and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine underperformed for them. This is why Discotek recently licensed the new movie Jigen's Gravestone instead of them.

• @classyspartan:

Figured 11 was a good number anyway for what they might pickup.

That would be a drop from this season (which saw 13 new simulcasts), so I expect 14-15, and certainly would be surprised to see less than 13.

Until this season (when they bumped up by 2), Funimation had been increasing the new simulcast count by one per season since last year.

At some point, Funimation will have to hit a plateau on how many titles they can license for streaming, but I doubt that will happen with the spring season.

• I actually just went to look for myself and yeah they did rather steadily increase over the span. Granted I am getting the vibe that 14 or 15 will be the beginning of the cap especially with all the licenses and now the new trend of dubbing many of the new titles with Broadcast Dubs in the coming weeks after, so whether or not they decide to stick with gradually expanding the number of Simulcasts now that they have everything else going on will remain to be seen. But yeah 13 or 14 simulcasts would still be really nice.

• I'd be shocked and incredibly disappointed if High School DxD doesn't get a broadcast dub with it's 3rd season. It's probably the safest bet of all the possibilities.

• unless they can somehow wrangle the uncensored AT-X broadcast (assuming it gets one), I think it would be wise to not broadcast dub DxD. that gets heavily censored and will most likely be a major turn off, something they likely don't want for this project

• I don't think they would really care honestly. Like that's why DVDs are for but hey they want to do what they want to do, and to me it's probably the most likely for a Broadcast Dub anyways, censored or otherwise (besides that's incentive for why you buy their DVD release for it anyways).

• Don't get me wrong, the pervy stuff is nice and all, but by season 3 of any series, I'm in it for the story and characters.

• You know, what the heck. I feel like reviving this thread for discussion as more stuff about the Spring Season starts getting revealed. Here's what I will predict now for Funimation's Spring Simulcast Season:

High School DxD BorN
    Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture
    The Dissapearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
    Food Wars
    Rin-ne
    Seraph of the End
    Blood Blockade Battlefront
    The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    Rainy Cocoa
    Triage X
    Punchline
    Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
    Is It Okay To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?
    My Love Story

I removed Plastic Memories due to the probability of Aniplex being producers that Aniplex of America is likely to pick it up, and also Ninja Slayer, which seems to have already been announced for a global streaming release as an online series already. This probably means it's either gonna get pick up by someone like CR or Daisuki to me.

I added Rin-ne, as an action show written by the author of Inuyasha is a big deal (though may also likely get picked up by Viz Media too), Triage X (Harem shows just cause), Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches (cute magical/high school comedy type thing), My Love Story!! (Cute rom-com by Madhouse seems interesting) and Rainy Cocoa because….because 14 seems to be the next step for Funimation.

• http://www.aniplexusa.com/pdf/Aniplex_of_America_Acquires_Gunslinger_Stratos_NISEKOI_2_Plastic_Memories_final.pdf

Figured I'd go ahead and bump this again because Aniplex USA just announced which shows they would be Simulcasting for the Spring season. Those shows that they're picking up include:

Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation
    Nisekoi:
    Plastic Memories
    Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Cour

These shows, obvious or otherwise are definitely off the market for Funimation Simucasting now, and I am a little surprised that only 1 of them is actually an A-1 Pictures production, as other shows like Denpa Kyoushi and the new Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series also aren't included in that document. Well now that Aniplex has announced their acquisitions, it's only a matter of time before we get word from what Funimation picks up for the Spring season.

• For some reason, before today I thought Nisekoi hadn't been licensed yet, but now that I find out this is the second season coming up and AoA had already licensed the first it makes sense that they would pick this up. For similar reasons it's also obvious that they would pick up UBW.

Shame that Funimation couldn't pick up Plastic Memories; based on the PDF its writer was also involved with Steins;Gate.

• Yeah, it looked interesting to me too but when SpacemanHardy pointed out that Aniplex was a producer of the series I kind of assumed that they were going to pick it up too. Now I am just curious about the other A-1 pictures stuff, which is probably either just gonna go exclusively to Crunchyroll or maybe someone like NIS America.

Now we simply play the waiting game and see if anyone's predictions come true.

• @classyspartan:

[
    These shows, obvious or otherwise are definitely off the market for Funimation Simucasting now, and I am a little surprised that only 1 of them is actually an A-1 Pictures production, as other shows like Denpa Kyoushi and the new Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series also aren't included in that document.
    Hopefully neither of those will end up like Dog Days'', as once was enough.

Thankfully, with the exception of The Seven Deadly Sins (which has been reported to be in the hands of Netflix), every title produced by A-1 pictures in the past year has been simulcast. (That probably would be true for an even longer period, but that was as far as I checked).

Technical note: Magic Kaito 1412 was a season late, but it did get a simulcast.](These shows, obvious or otherwise are definitely off the market for Funimation Simucasting now, and I am a little surprised that only 1 of them is actually an A-1 Pictures production, as other shows like Denpa Kyoushi and the new Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series also aren't included in that document.
    Hopefully neither of those will end up like Dog Days'', as once was enough.

Thankfully, with the exception of The Seven Deadly Sins (which has been reported to be in the hands of Netflix), every title produced by A-1 pictures in the past year has been simulcast. (That probably would be true for an even longer period, but that was as far as I checked).

Technical note: Magic Kaito 1412 was a season late, but it did get a simulcast.)

• wold be a nice surprise of the acquisitions team decided to forget about the past and go for Vivid. they are committed to releasing shows sub-only, so they have a clear back up option if it doesn't do well