Thoughts on methods of causing producers to make new seasons of old Animes

• I"ve been thinking for a while on how it would be possible to get new seasons of anime series that have been cancelled after the end of their first or second season by their producers. I immediately discounted the petitions that float around the internet as a complete waste of time; the producers of anime are for-profit corporations, and therefore any attempt that is not backed by money is doomed to failure. And even if the petition was set up to include pledges of money from the signers, there would be a near certainty that the money would be insufficient to cause the producer to make a new season. The cost of any anime is supported by the sales in Japan; the income generated by overseas sales does not have much importance in their decision-making. After a series is cancelled, it is almost certainly doomed to never be picked up again. Therefore, my view is that any attempt from overseas fans to restart a series would need an amount of money backing it comparable to a majority or totality of the production costs of the anime series in question.

The significant cost involved in producing any anime series means that any Kickstarter attempt to raise enough cash to resurrect the series is highly unlikely to succeed before the deadline of the Kickstarter ends. There also lies the problem of licensing rights and gaining the agreement of the holder of the anime series- I am unsure of what potential problems would crop up in regards to that, as I am completely ignorant of the legalities involved in producing an anime. Additionally, even if time constraints were not a concern, the Kickstarter rewards for backers would likely bring you into conflict with those holding the merchandising rights for the series. That means that any attempt to raise the funds required would need some other method of drawing in backers. I have some other ideas and thoughts on the matter, but I would like some thoughts and opinions on what I just wrote before I go into them.

• ^ Not to mention that, in accordance with Kickstarter's rules, the crowdfunding campaign would have to be started by the production company itself and NOT by fans who have no relation to the company. Meaning that the production company would first actually want to make another season in the first place.

The only real truth to the matter is that only two things actually effect whether a second or third season will created:

1. The first season did well with Japanese fans.
    2. The production company actually wants to make another season and feels it will be a good financial decision to do so.

If neither of those things happens, then it's over. Case closed. Fin.

It's a cruel truth that people just need to come to grasp with. :hmm:

• When the lottery, pay the manga-ka and front the cost of production.

• @SpacemanHardy: While I missed the part in the rules of Kickstarter about it having to be the company starting the Kickstarter, I had already eliminated it as a potential crowdfunding source for other reasons, such as the structure of the sites not being geared to support the required kind of crowdfunding project or being specialized for certain types of projects.
    @NiPah: Your suggestion is the equivalent of giving up and praying for a miracle.

None of the crowdfunding sites I looked at were good for what I have in mind; one problem with simply setting up a crowdfunding project to revive old anime series is letting the fanbase of the anime know about the project. And given the large goal that would need to be set to fund another season of an anime, the limited time that the crowdfunding project gives is likely to be insufficient to adequately mobilize the fanbase of a specific anime.

After thinking on it for a while, I came to the conclusion that the optimal solution would be the creation of a crowdfunding site only for anime. Every crowdfunding site I looked at is not geared to support the kind of campaign that I believe an anime revival project would require. I believe that such a campaign would need to be set without time limits so as to ensure the success of the project. However, that requirement does bring with it some significant problems. The purpose of time lime limits on crowdfunding sites is twofold, in my opinion. First is to ensure a steady stream of income as projects end and the sites share of the gathered funds is sent to the site; the second (in crowdfunding sites where the model doesn"t have the backers credit card charged immediately after their pledge) is to ensure that the project ends before financial circumstances change for the backers, and they find themselves in circumstances that leave them unable or unwilling to put money behind their pledge. In the case of the hypothetical anime crowdfunding site, the large goal needed to see any revival through would cause many potential backers to be unwilling to put money towards the project when they have no idea when or even if the project will succeed. My idea for solving that problem is automatic emails being sent to the backers when the project is approaching its goal to see if they are still willing to stand behind their pledges. Additionally, there would need to be an incentive beyond simply creating another season of whatever anime they want to see revived to drive fans to put money towards the revival. One idea I came up with in that regards would be a share of whatever income the new season generates, divided up according to the total of the fund each donor gave. What do you think?

• @arathinarel:

What do you think?

I think you're putting way too much thought into this whole thing, when really you just need to face the cold, harsh reality that there isn't anything we can do.

Like I said before, we North American fans have absolutely NO effect on whether or not more seasons of an anime are made. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nyet. And trying to create your own crowdfunding site to raise funds for sequel seasons to anime titles without the express permission or consent of the anime companies in question is serious grounds for legal action regardless of whether or not your intentions are good.

The only way, and I mean the ONLY way that anime crowdfunding works is if the production company THEMSELVES start up a campaign. That's the case with Kickstarter, that's the case with Indiegogo, and that's going to be the case with every single crowdfunding company there is.

This is the reality of the situation. I know you wrote NiPah's suggestion off as "giving up and praying for a miracle", but that's ironically the most realistic scenario you as a non-Japanese anime fan can hope for. (and even if you DID win the lottery, it's still not guaranteed they'd be willing to make it anyways)

• @SpacemanHardy:

And trying to create your own crowdfunding site to raise funds for sequel seasons to anime titles without the express permission or consent of the anime companies in question is serious grounds for legal action regardless of whether or not your intentions are good.

Please reread my first post, second paragraph- I discussed that there. And I am not trying to create one- I am simply getting peoples' opinion on the idea. And I guess I should bring up something I intended to say in a later post- part of the raised funds would be used to negotiate with the rights holders; that stage would be done immediately upon full funding of any project, and should negotiation fail, the money not used in the negotiation would be returned to the backers with an accompanying detailed breakdown of how the negotiations went.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Like I said before, we North American fans have absolutely NO effect on whether or not more seasons of an anime are made. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nyet.

I wouldn't go so far as to say none, but it is close to negligible. At best, a strong showing here might tip a show from "maybe" to "yes" for having another series green-lit.

• There is also the possibility that the original author/mangaka for some reason or another might not want the series to continue.
    For a few examples: the anime deviated too much from the original concept, the anime became more popular than the original manga/book and outsold it, the author didn't like how their characters/story were portrayed, the anime advanced with the story to a point that the original author hadn't reached yet, the creator feels that continuing the series any farther would ruin the plot.
    Any one of those types of situations can put strain on the author, making it difficult for them to continue writing their series, and in some cases they might take the series to a different studio, if their not satisfied with how the anime adaptation went.