Why is Absolute Duo listed as a simulcast?

• Why is Absolute Duo listed as a simulcast when it aired February 15, 2015 at 20:30 in Japan or 06:30:00 Sunday February 15, 2015 in US/Eastern? Buy you post it 30.5 hours later 13:00:00 Monday February 16, 2015 US/Eastern or 03:00:00 Tuesday February 17, 2015 in Japan. Which means it is not in fact simulcast and should be removed from the simulcast list. Or is your definition of simulcast different than other providers who stream it (in real time) as it is aired in Japan?

• From a technical standpoint, I agree that a simulcast should be "simultaneous" with whatever the source is. However, from a marketing point of view, simulcasts rarely mean a "simultaneous" release alongside the source. It's more so to say that the stream comes "shortly" after the original source. Then again, I've opened the can of worms with webcasts which is what I'm sure you were looking for.

• They aren't using AT-X's broadcast, they are using one of the 4 main normal channels that this show airs on in japan a day after AT-X.

• There aren't any simulcasts at all that stream in real-time. Even Crunchyroll doesn't put their shows up until a few hours or so after it originally airs on Japanese TV.

If you're going to a website that's streaming the episode in "real-time", then that website is most certainly illegal.

• Nobody streams it in real time if you're going to be technical about it

Some shows require more time to receive materials or translate for the subtitles. Funimation isn't the only one that does this either, as there have been examples from Crunchyroll (Monogatari Second Series, Witch Craft Works, half of Unlimited Fafnir) where the simulcasts were airing over 24 hours after its initial broadcast

Simulcasts are typically described as shows that are aired here during their broadcast in Japan, not a literal simultaneous release. I don't think any streaming company guarantees what you're asking for and only describe some shows as airing less than an hour after their broadcast in Japan

@Getchman:

They aren't using AT-X's broadcast, they are using one of the 4 main normal channels that this show airs on in japan a day after AT-X.

This is also true. The Absolute Duo release you're seeing on Sunday isn't technically the official airing date, because that release (on AT-X) is on a premium channel that doesn't adhere to standard cable television. To call Sunday's Absolute Duo release the broadcast time is incorrect. I don't know the exact time Absolute Duo airs on traditional cable, but I would estimate that the Funimation airing is roughly four to six hours after Japan's broadcast

• @cyberd1:

Buy you post it 30.5 hours later

That better than World Break. They show that a week later form when it airs. So for that one I stick to Crunchyroll for it. A day late if fine but a week… And yeah. Not likely to every see a true simultaneous release with a sub to air time. Hours is the est we'll see.,

• @Riles:

I don't know the exact time Absolute Duo airs on traditional cable, but I would estimate that the Funimation airing is roughly four to six hours after Japan's broadcast

Tokyo MX and Sun TV air it at 2am on Tuesday mornings, that's noon on Monday on the East Coast. funi has it up by 1pm

• This is what Funimation states "Get full access to the hottest new and returning English-subtitled anime simulcasts every season right after each episode"s Japanese broadcast, streaming in 1080p HD on your computer and devices" note the words "right after" 30 hours is not right after nor is as DragonO said World Break is one week behind (episode 5) where as I watched episode 6 this morning on Crunchyroll.

The problem is on Crunchyroll (at least for the shows I follow) I have watched shows as they were broadcast or uploaded by Crunchyroll. To be honest that was using their count down timer I will need to check their timer vs its true air time and if they aren't, it is within a couple of hours of airtime.

Anyway I am not going to bother going through the list that Funimation calls "SIMULCAST" to see how long after airtime the other shows are but it is false advertising to call the shows mentioned above simulcast or as they state "right after each episode"s Japanese broadcast". One of the reasons I added a Funimation subscription was based off of its simulcast list.

Either the need to remove the shows that are not posted within a couple of hours of airtime or change their definition of simulcast to within 1 to 7 days after the Japanese broadcast.

@SpacemanHardy if I am not mistaken Crunchyroll is a legal site.

• Geez people will complain about anything nowadays. Why cant we just be glad we can even watch shows in a legal format in the first place.

• @cyberd1:

@SpacemanHardy if I am not mistaken Crunchyroll is a legal site.

What Spaceman was referring to are sites that rebroadcast shows as they air on broadcast/cable TV. None of CR's shows stream less than an hour after the Japanese premieres.

As Getchman said, AbsoDuo is streamed by FUNimation an hour after a Japanese broadcast, though not necessarily the initial cable/satellite TV broadcast.

• @EyeOfPain:

What Spaceman was referring to are sites that rebroadcast shows as they air on broadcast/cable TV. None of CR's shows stream less than an hour after the Japanese premieres.

As Getchman said, AbsoDuo is streamed by FUNimation an hour after a Japanese broadcast, though not necessarily the initial cable/satellite TV broadcast.

But Crunchyroll's is hours that the most, not 30+ hours. If you are not basing it off of the "initial cable/satellite TV broadcast" then it could be any airing/rerun be it 1 day or weeks after the initial airtime and that is not simulcast by any stretch the imagination.

• @cyberd1:

change their definition of simulcast to within 1 to 7 days after the Japanese broadcast.

That is their definition.- http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?5922-Simulcast&p=48052&viewfull=1#post48052

• like to point out that for this season, Crunchyroll is a day late with Military!, 2.5 days late with Gourmet Girl Graffiti, 1 day late with Unlimited Fafnir, and to weeks behind on Kuroko's basketball. all 4 still called simulcasts.

• Some of our simulcast shows do, indeed, air hours after their Japanese release, but not all of them do. As stated in the linked thread to this one, we're currently looking into the messaging on our site and will revise it for accuracy where it's warranted. We're also working on an extended simulcast FAQ that should answer some of these questions.

No simulcast I'm aware of on any service is literally simultaneous with it's Japanese air time– for one thing, that would cause almost every simulcast to go up in the middle of the night! All simulcast means is that the show is airing simultaneously in Japan through the majority of it's run.

• @TIL:

That is their definition.- http://www.funimation.com/forum/show…ll=1#post48052

Thank you for directing me to that page. But based on their definition if a network in japan were to air 1963's Astro Boy in 2015 they could clam that it was simulcast and while it may be technically true, Astro Boy is 52 years old. The way they use simulcast implies that it is hot off the press so to speak but in fact misleading and disingenuous.

@Getchman:

like to point out that for this season, Crunchyroll is a day late with Military!, 2.5 days late with Gourmet Girl Graffiti, 1 day late with Unlimited Fafnir, and to weeks behind on Kuroko's basketball. all 4 still called simulcasts.

If you will note my second post I had the caveat " (at least for the shows I follow)" and I do not follow those shows. But thank you for pointing them out for me.

• Why are we getting so hyper technical about the definition of simulcast all of a sudden? It's been used in this manner for years now. Simulcast = streaming the show while it is airing in Japan. New shows is implied.

Regardless of it's a day or two behind or only an hour behind, it does not matter to me. Still have to wait week to week for new episodes, and it's a legal source. I can rarely watch immediately when new episodes are posted as it is anyway. Same goes for Crunchyroll.

• I very much doubt anyone in their right mind would attempt to pass a 1960s anime off as content fresh off the presses. I can conceive of a situation where there might be a re-broadcast of something older and cool as a promotional thing some season, where it might be included in our simulcast lineup, but the idea here isn't to trick anyone. :)

Previously, for season after season of content, the definitions we had in place were accurate to the kinds of shows and agreements we were seeing. The agreements and shows we have in place now have some exceptions to the rule and I'm looking into getting some more accurate language on the site to reflect this.

There's not much disingenuous about that. :)

• @CJ:

I very much doubt anyone in their right mind would attempt to pass a 1960s anime off as content fresh off the presses. I can conceive of a situation where there might be a re-broadcast of something older and cool as a promotional thing some season, where it might be included in our simulcast lineup, but the idea here isn't to trick anyone. :)

Previously, for season after season of content, the definitions we had in place were accurate to the kinds of shows and agreements we were seeing. The agreements and shows we have in place now have some exceptions to the rule and I'm looking into getting some more accurate language on the site to reflect this.

There's not much disingenuous about that. :)

The example of Astro Boy was based off of your definition of simulcast not whether someone would do it and that example fits your definition.

As far as disingenuous I sincerely doubt that the marketing would allow this sentence to be added to your description on the simulcast page "Do to licensing agreements episodes of the shows listed below may be delayed from 1 to 14 days after initial airing, before being posted" that is a fair and accurate statement. So unless something like that is added, it is indeed disingenuous.

• I bet you're fun at parties. O.o

• Jokes on you, anime isn't even made on presses anymore.

• You know what? This has just gotten silly.

cyberd1, you are taking this whole thing WAY too literally. Everyone in this topic has already taken the time to explain to you exactly what the term "simulcast" actually means, and yet you insist on arguing and correcting everyone on what YOU think the word should mean. It's really starting to get out of hand.

Just face the facts that the term represents a show that's streaming in the States in-and-around the same time that it's airing in Japan, and that rights and licenses differ for every show which sometimes means that we don't get some series until a little while afterwards. FUNimation does NOT have to change the definition of the word simulcast; YOU have to change the way YOU interpret it.

If it's really THAT important to you to watch Absolute Duo immediately after it airs in Japan, then go watch it on Crunchyroll. I won't stop you. But this constant whining and bickering is going to end right now and I'm gonna be the one to end it.

Seriously dude, calm down. -_-

Consider this topic locked.