A Night At The Show: General Movie Disscussion Thread

• Come here to disscuss the latest movies you have watched. Or ones your looking forward to seeing.

• Last movie I went to was Gravity. It was pretty darn good in 3D.

• I've been trying to decide on Gravity myself, whether to go see it at the theater of wait until I buy it in BD. Last thing I saw was Riddick, which was pretty decent, although it was really over the top, it was almost as if Riddick was a superhero whose power was machoism. What I'm really looking forward to is Ender's Game, it looks excellent.

• I watched Toward the Terra, which increases support for two beliefs I have: animation as a whole was not very good in the 80s (to put it nicely), and the people who make anime are generally better at making television then they are at making movies.

In other words, it was quite bad. Great concept (typical science fiction themes of psychic powers and man being controlled by machines), but the direction and writing were pretty incompetent.

• @Looneygamemaster:

I watched Toward the Terra, which increases support for two beliefs I have: animation as a whole was not very good in the 80s (to put it nicely), and the people who make anime are generally better at making television then they are at making movies.

In other words, it was quite bad. Great concept (typical science fiction themes of psychic powers and man being controlled by machines), but the direction and writing were pretty incompetent.

Well, the movie was based on a 3 (large) volume manga, and was later adapted into a 26 episode TV series, so that goes to show how compacted the story was for a feature film.

• Tried to quote almost ended up runing another persons post…sorry Loony * my hands hate me xD* Anywho...

Considering Studio Ghibli Started in the 80's and there were some good animated films be they anime or Domestic from that era, gonna have to disagree with you. And evne if something wasn't all that great visually, there were still plenty of shows from the 80's as well as the 60's 70's & 90's * that are fun and down right enjoyable to watch. Dirty Pair was from the 80's as was Fist of the North Star * & Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, etc So yeah, there was good anime back then. As for anime films, i'd say like any other genre or era, theres good ones & theres crap.

I haven't seen Towards the Terra, but it sounds like you just got stunk with a stinker.

As for Gravity, personally NO INTEREST. I really don't care to see people screaming in space for hours. I respect the effort put into the film, but just not my thing. Only movies i'm really looking forward to seeing are the Carrie remake because cliche yet cheesy horror movie fun Thor 2: Darkworld Yay Marvel comics! And Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Because i'd be crazy not to! May also go see Frozen & that Turky movie with my little sister as she keeps nagging the whole family about em, but honestly not looking forward to either, 2013 has been a pretty crappy year for theatrical animation, other then Croods & Monster's University, everything else has just left me feeling empty & cold, and even MU felt abit weaker then other Pixar films. Much better then Cars 2, but yeah

I haven't seen Epic yet though, so may have to rent that sometime soon and see if it can make this years weak theatrical animation pickings a bit brighter*

But ahh, i'm rambling, so I digress.

• Bought the steelbook BD/DVD/DC Hellboy 2 a few weeks ago for $10, watched it this last weekend; I still love that movie. Seth Macfarlane as the voice of Krauss was great.

• Watched Iron Man 3 earlier with my sis. I liked it as a whole, but the ending bugged the crap out of me. Also, I was hoping the Mandarin would be a badass like in the Armored Adventures cartoon, not some drunken idiot. The Extremus enemies were pretty cool though. Still want to see Despicable Me 2 and Riddick. My sis said the former was really funny.

• @Soundmonkey44:

As for Gravity, personally NO INTEREST. I really don't care to see people screaming in space for hours. I respect the effort put into the film, but just not my thing. Only movies i'm really looking forward to seeing are the Carrie remake because cliche yet cheesy horror movie fun Thor 2: Darkworld Yay Marvel comics! And Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Because i'd be crazy not to! May also go see Frozen & that Turky movie with my little sister as she keeps nagging the whole family about em, but honestly not looking forward to either, 2013 has been a pretty crappy year for theatrical animation, other then Croods & Monster's University, everything else has just left me feeling empty & cold, and even MU felt abit weaker then other Pixar films. Much better then Cars 2, but yeah.

There are a few movies you have listed there I want to check out, Thor 2 and The Hobbit 2, but there’s a movie coming real soon that I want to go see; Machete Kills.

• My girlfriend and I watched Alien Resurrection yesterday, finishing up that four-film series as part of our 'scary movie marathon' for the month of October. Believe it or not, this was my first time seeing the Alien movies. I liked them all for the most part (3 and Resurrection definitely have some issues though), but you know the number one thing I learned from these movies? If your name is Ellen Ripley, you literally cannot be happy. :(

• I watched The Sky Crawlers Saturday night. I…really don't know how I feel about this movie. Brilliantly directed, slow, emotionally cold, disturbing...I can't tell if I liked it or not. I think I'll have to watch it again now that I think I know what the director was trying to say.

Last night, my family and I watched Ice Age: Continental Drift, which…ugh. I liked the first movie, but at this point, everything seems so tired and hackneyed-- hyperactive wackiness that yields scattered laughs and drama that doesn't even try to to be skillful. If anything, it made me appreciate how good Wreck-It Ralph truly was.

And finally, I also watched Beetlejuice with my dad and sister. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think I appreciate it more than I did last time. I've kind of fallen out of love with Tim Burton, but this one succeeds because of some great acting, especially in the case of Michael Keaton. I also realized how good the camerawork is with Betelgeuse's reality-warping–no special effects needed.

• Hmm, let's see…the last movie I saw was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory a few weeks ago. I still can't get Gene Wilder's witty one-liners from that film out of my head.

• He was great in Willy Wonka. I have loved the Wonderous Boat Ride scene since I was a kid. I just looked at imdb about the movie since you brought it up and there is some crazy trivia about it. Such as the numerous literary quotes Wonka has from the likes of Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, John Keats, and others. Also, the river of chocolate was actually a mixture of chocolate, water, and creme. It supposedly spoiled really quickly, I figured they would have just had some type of dyed water with a thickening agent like gelatin or even cornstarch.
    As for on topic, I'm looking forward to Pacific Rim coming out tomorrow. So from anyone who has seen it is it a rent or worth the purchase?

• I would definitely say Pacific Rim is worth the purchase, IMO. It's one of the best films I've seen in a long while, though really now it's just keeping me eager and ready for the real thing with Godzilla next year.

My girlfriend and I's horror movie marathon continued yesterday, with the 1st and 3rd of the A Nightmare on Elm Street series. We ended up having to skip the second movie because I keep forgetting that I need a new copy of it (the disc won't play in anything for some reason), but it's largely unrelated to the rest of the series anyway, so it's fine.

• @Gyt Kaliba
    Did you see it in 3D or standard? I had read that Del Toro was against doing it in 3D because the large size of the subjects (the Jaegers and Kaiju) would cause there to be no parallax during movement, so it would become less effective for creating depth. But it was filmed using Epic Reds, and typically CGI handles 3D better so I thought it might be worth the 3D. I usually only buy 3D if it is filmed for it and not a post conversion, but I'm considering breaking my habits for this one, any thoughts?

So am I the only one who is anxiously awaiting Ender's Game coming out on the 1st? I really liked the novels, and the previews make the visuals look like they are going to be excellent.

• @batou01:

So am I the only one who is anxiously awaiting Ender's Game coming out on the 1st? I really liked the novels, and the previews make the visuals look like they are going to be excellent.

I've been a fan of the novels since I read them, but with the state of Hollywood lately, I'm only cautiously optimistic about the film.

• @batou01:

Did you see it in 3D or standard? I had read that Del Toro was against doing it in 3D because the large size of the subjects (the Jaegers and Kaiju) would cause there to be no parallax during movement, so it would become less effective for creating depth. But it was filmed using Epic Reds, and typically CGI handles 3D better so I thought it might be worth the 3D. I usually only buy 3D if it is filmed for it and not a post conversion, but I'm considering breaking my habits for this one, any thoughts?

I want to say I saw it in 3D, but I honestly can't remember for sure. I think we had to though, because the only regular showings were really late at night when we didn't really want to be out and about. I seem to remember it looking pretty awesome in 3D though, and this is coming from someone that isn't really fond of 3D for the most part. I used to get headaches from 3D films, but then it went to that only happening with live-action stuff (animated things like Rise of the Guardians and Wreck-It Ralph didn't give me a headache oddly). Then when we saw Pacific Rim, I got no headaches at all. I don't know if this is because of some things being post-conversions or not, and only one of those affects me weirdly, or if I just got used to it, or what.

Which speaking of this movie, I'll be able to see it again soon, since I picked up a copy today, woot.

I'm a little interested in the movie, but I have to admit that I'm not near as excited as I could be. I'm somewhat not as fond of Card as an author (or rather, as a person) since finding out something about his beliefs, and from what few teasers for the movie I've seen, it seems like they've changed it to where Ender knows what he's doing throughout rather than how it works out in the books. That part has me a little worried about it changing the whole tone of the story, but I'll likely watch the movie eventually. It can't be near as messed up as the Percy Jackson films are.

• I watched Interstella 5555 last night which, for those who don't know, is basically an hour-long music video for Daft Punk designed by Leiji Matsumoto (the guy who created Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999).

It's…interesting. A lot of people seem to love it, but I myself am not too interested in band music (I prefer orchestras). So I don't appreciate the music so much. But the story's really well-done, considering there's no dialogue or sound effects. And the ending scene actually makes the whole thing kind of brilliant. Overall, a pretty good time.

• Watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey earlier. It didn't look all that interesting in the previews but I think it was pretty good. Honestly, it seems a little overrated. I quite it though. Looking forward to the second one.

• I re-visited Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for the first time in a while on Saturday night. Though it's not one of my favorite Ghibli movies, I find it interesting to watch because of how it shows Miyazaki's early, relatively immature work as a filmmaker.

First, he goes too far in trying to make Nausicaa a strong female character–she starts out perfect, and ends the movie perfect, even with character moments that feel like they should change her. Second, his environmentalist views are very poorly delivered--he goes about it by demonizing humanity and making nature a pure divine force of good. In other words, he made Ferngully…eight years before Ferngully was made.

It's still a good movie though; it gets by on raw artistic talent and a truly magnificent world. Also, Lord Yupa is awesome.

And last night, we watched The Nightmare Before Christmas for Halloween, being one of my sister's favorite movies (in fact, when she was little, she'd play it so much that the rest of us kind of got sick of it). Macabrely charming, great music, still-excellent claymation–it holds up really well.

• Watched Pacific Rim yesterday. I thought it was pretty good overall. I think they did a really good job with cast selection, not trying to use the typical people we always see in an action and/or sci fi movie. Charlie Day (Charlie in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) was quite an unexpected surprise, I think he did really well as Dr. Geiszler. I guess from all of the Sunny I've seen he had sort of become the goofball who played night crawlers with Frank, and who goes into his "crevice" (space behind the couch cushions) when he was upset in my mind. I knew I also recognized Burn Gorman from somewhere, but I had to look him up on IMDB to remember it was from Torchwood and Layer Cake. Cinematography-wise I felt that it looked quite good, and the special effects were also great.

I don't think there any spoilers here that cannot be derived from the overall plot and previews, but I thought I'd give a warning just in case.

The only problem I had with it (and it might be that I just missed something in the explanation of it) was the technology of the Jagers themselves, specifically the brain interface. From what I gathered the brain interface allowed the user to "pilot" the Jager, and it necessitated the use of two pilots because the interface otherwise overloaded the users brain. So two pilots had to "drift" and synchronize to basically spread the load across two brains while working in tandem. All of that would have made sense to me if they just say in the pilots chair and piloted it such as is seen in EVA. But they don't, instead using these large multiplicative armatures to move the Jager, and holographic controls and buttons to change settings, activate things, etc… So then I wonder what is the neural interface actually doing? Why do they need that if they are basically walking and punching themselves? Other than that bit I liked it.