Why do FUNimation keep dubbing movies before the time they take place in the series?

• Fairy Tail, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece and probably many others.

I had the face of the masked man in Naruto ruined because of one of the movies and now I know who he really is, plus the experience of the big reveal is ruined as well.
    The Fairy Tail movie contains a massive spoiler as well beacuse it was released about half way through Season 2, when it takes place half way through Season 3), luckily I accidentally found out when the right time to watch it was and didn't get things ruined.
    And I know two of the One PIece movies take place before what the series is currently up to, one of which is around episode five hundred and something, while the dub is only up to 372. I think it's Film Z.
    I wonder how many people watched these movies and had plot twists ruined? We should be able to safetly watch a movie that's been dubbed, knowing full well that logically, it wont be ahead of the series.

I no longer just watch one of their movies without finding out if it shouldn't be watched until a certain point in the series but I can't forget what I've already seen. I just don't get why they don't wait until the time the movies actually take place.
    If they want to dub something else, why not do the OVAs? They almost always leave them out for some reason.

• Well I can't say much about One Piece or Fairy Tail since I dont watch them but I do know Naruto isn't a funimation show, it's a Viz show. So they don't have anything to do with Naruto.

• Easiest answer to your question? Because they want money now.

Sometimes FUNi doesn't end up licensing things in chronological order. Every once in a while, they'll happen to get the rights to the movies before they're able to get a hold of the episodes leading up to them. It's not like they do it on purpose, it just sort of happens that way. The anime licensing game is not as easy to figure out as it might at first seem.

So when this happens, they have two choices: One, they can sit on the movie until they get the episodes leading up to it - IF they manage to get them, that is. Or two, they can go ahead, dub it, and put it out as soon as they can, where they'll reap the monetary benefits from fans buying it up while the title is still nice and hot. Movies in general tend to sell better for FUNi than TV series do, so the more movies they can dub, put out, and sell, the more money they have in their pocket. Money they can then use to purchase the rights for more episodes of the TV series, if they wish.

That's basically the skinny of it. At the end of the day, fans of a series are going to buy up whatever they can regardless of whether it's put out chronologically or not, so in reality, it kind of makes sense for FUNi to skip ahead. Not every show stays popular forever, so you gotta strike while the iron's hot, as they say.

As far as the OVAs are concerned, those are much harder to get the rights for. Many of those are owned by entirely different distribution companies than the ones who put out the TV series and movies, and many of them either simply don't want them being released outside of Japan, or they ask for licensing fees that are simply astronomical in comparison. In One Piece's case, much of it has to do with the crossover episodes with Toriko and Dragon Ball, despite the fact that FUNi already owns the rights to those series too.

That's just the way the game is, bud. :hmm:

PS: And yeah, FUNimation has nothing to do with Naruto, so go blame Viz Media for that one.

• In reference to the Naruto movies that VIZ has. None of the movies are actually part of the main series anyway outside the Last Naruto Movie which was approved to be. So worrying where they are placed in the series is pretty pointless.

• Thanks to all 3 of you for your replies
    :)
    @SpacemanHardy:

Easiest answer to your question? Because they want money now.

Sometimes FUNi doesn't end up licensing things in chronological order. Every once in a while, they'll happen to get the rights to the movies before they're able to get a hold of the episodes leading up to them. It's not like they do it on purpose, it just sort of happens that way. The anime licensing game is not as easy to figure out as it might at first seem.

So when this happens, they have two choices: One, they can sit on the movie until they get the episodes leading up to it - IF they manage to get them, that is. Or two, they can go ahead, dub it, and put it out as soon as they can, where they'll reap the monetary benefits from fans buying it up while the title is still nice and hot. Movies in general tend to sell better for FUNi than TV series do, so the more movies they can dub, put out, and sell, the more money they have in their pocket. Money they can then use to purchase the rights for more episodes of the TV series, if they wish.

That's basically the skinny of it. At the end of the day, fans of a series are going to buy up whatever they can regardless of whether it's put out chronologically or not, so in reality, it kind of makes sense for FUNi to skip ahead. Not every show stays popular forever, so you gotta strike while the iron's hot, as they say.

As far as the OVAs are concerned, those are much harder to get the rights for. Many of those are owned by entirely different distribution companies than the ones who put out the TV series and movies, and many of them either simply don't want them being released outside of Japan, or they ask for licensing fees that are simply astronomical in comparison. In One Piece's case, much of it has to do with the crossover episodes with Toriko and Dragon Ball, despite the fact that FUNi already owns the rights to those series too.

That's just the way the game is, bud. :hmm:

PS: And yeah, FUNimation has nothing to do with Naruto, so go blame Viz Media for that one.

I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain all that :)
    I apologize to FUNimation for blaming them for Naruto, especially since that's the one I had a problem with the most

I guess I just assumed it was a FUNimation show because most of the good and well done (after Naruto quit saying "believe it") ones are and there seem to be quite a few voices from FUNimation dubs in it. But that's probably just because they're good voice actors so VIz wanted to use them. I always assumed the Viz at the beginning of episodes was the Japanese company that originally made it. But I guess it should have been a tip off when I never saw the FUNimation logo at the beginning.

@Dragon0:

In reference to the Naruto movies that VIZ has. None of the movies are actually part of the main series anyway outside the Last Naruto Movie which was approved to be. So worrying where they are placed in the series is pretty pointless.

That may be true for the other movies (to be honest, I've only seen the one, which was the worst I could have chosen due to spoilers but at least it was a decent movie) but The Road to Ninja is connected to the plot, not like it's cannon (as far as I know), but it has main villains from the series, Project Tsukonomi (sp?) was part of it too and I think it was further a long than it was in the series.

• almost no one with a role in Naruto is in Funi dubs

• @redstar86:

That may be true for the other movies (to be honest, I've only seen the one, which was the worst I could have chosen due to spoilers but at least it was a decent movie) but The Road to Ninja is connected to the plot, not like it's cannon (as far as I know), but it has main villains from the series, Project Tsukonomi (sp?) was part of it too and I think it was further a long than it was in the series.

Road to Ninja is one I actually haven't seen. But from what I understand it stil isn't really a part of the mainline story that happens. Once I eventually see it I'l have a better idea on that front. But for the most part they are not directly connected like the final movie. To which speaking of I'm working on getting my schedule worked out to go see it in Columbus in February.

• @Getchman:

almost no one with a role in Naruto is in Funi dubs

Maybe you're right. I can only think of 3 right now: Gaara (same voice as a character in Code Geass), Sasori (Ichigo from Bleach) and a minor character I can never remember the name of (Laxus from Fairy Tail).

@Dragon0:

Road to Ninja is one I actually haven't seen. But from what I understand it stil isn't really a part of the mainline story that happens. Once I eventually see it I'l have a better idea on that front. But for the most part they are not directly connected like the final movie. To which speaking of I'm working on getting my schedule worked out to go see it in Columbus in February.

Yeah like I siad, I don't think it's cannon but they do connect it to the series, kind of like some Dragon Ball Z movies (Cooler's Revenge, for example), except it has villains from the series and the masked man is continuing the work he's doing in the series. It's not a totally unrelated plot, is all I'm really getting at. I liked that, though, it makes it more interesting and feel a bit more like a few episodes in the series.

• Funimation doesn't own the rights to Bleach (that is Viz, along with Naruto, Sailor Moon, Blue Exorcist, and a sizable amount of other minor shows)

Funimation also isn't responsible for the Code Geass dub (though they do somewhat recently own the rights to the show now)

Patrick Seitz does have a minor role in Naruto Shippuden, but he might be better known in other Viz dubs (such as Kenpachi from Bleach) or even Aniplex of America dubs (Gamagoori from Kill la Kill). It's probably best to consider him a voice actor for all three dubbing studios

• ^ Actually Riles, in this case he is correct. Liam O'Brien, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Patrick Seitz have all indeed starred in dubs from FUNimation. The samples he listed might not have been FUNimation shows, but all of the actors do match up

Also, the Blue Exorcist anime is licensed by AoA, not Viz. Viz just has streaming rights for their website because they hold the manga rights.

• hi there, first of all i don't think Funimation should have worry about what chronologic order movies are released they are just making the content available to us to watch how and when we watch the video is up to us. and there more to it than just that they have to go thru a lot just to get video dubbed and edited and what ever else not including the months it probably take just to get the licenses to do it. some thing so small should be left up to the user. need to do more research if its really a big deal

• @Riles:

Funimation doesn't own the rights to Bleach (that is Viz, along with Naruto, Sailor Moon, Blue Exorcist, and a sizable amount of other minor shows)

Funimation also isn't responsible for the Code Geass dub (though they do somewhat recently own the rights to the show now)

Patrick Seitz does have a minor role in Naruto Shippuden, but he might be better known in other Viz dubs (such as Kenpachi from Bleach) or even Aniplex of America dubs (Gamagoori from Kill la Kill). It's probably best to consider him a voice actor for all three dubbing studios

Ah, ok then. I looked up Code Geass before posting that comment to make sure, too… oh well.

@michael15:

hi there, first of all i don't think Funimation should have worry about what chronologic order movies are released they are just making the content available to us to watch how and when we watch the video is up to us. and there more to it than just that they have to go thru a lot just to get video dubbed and edited and what ever else not including the months it probably take just to get the licenses to do it. some thing so small should be left up to the user. need to do more research if its really a big deal

Hi.
    Yes, we can look it up and that's what I'll be doing from now on. But my problem was that it should be safe to assume that it is ok to watch it, It's natural to think a movie would fit with where the series is up to. Or maybe this happens more than I realize and most anime fans are fully aware of it. Maybe growing up with Dragonball Z spoiled me, since I never had to worry about when to watch any of those movies, I just kinda expected other anime to be the same. I mean, from a fans perspective it makes sense, right? You dont want to get all excited about am movie, only to realize you have to wait to watch it, which could be a few months to a few years. Then there's the first time it happens, when you dont realize you need to be cautious about it.
    Anyway, this issue is already over with as far as I'm concerned, after Spaceman Hardy's explanation. You can comment on it of course and I'll (if I remember) check back for any more replies from anyone, I just want to make it clear that I'm not complaining right now. Although I do still wish they wouldn't dub the movies early, I'm satisfied enough with Spaceman's answer as to why they do.

• On a kinda non related note most voice actors don't so much have a job at Funimation but instead do additions and get roles in shows for the Dubbing company. So assuming a show is dubbed by Funimation based on voice actors is a bit of a mistake. A good example of that is Monica Rial works for multiple companies doing voice acting along with people like Cherami Leigh and some others branching out and doing shows at other companies and people like Brice Papenbrook coming over from other companies to do Attack on Titan and other shows. Voice Actors in general do jobs anywhere they can make money most (practically all) also do not only voice act.

• @redstar86 - FWIW, for the content that we DO have, if you watch a show from any point on our site, all official videos play in sequential order and not in video number order for the exact reason that you described in your original post. This means that if a movie sneaks in between episode 5 and episode 6, for example, the video player knows to play the movie after you've "completed" episode 5.

"Suggested Watch Order" was my biggest beef with Netflix when I was watching all the Star Treks. Netflix breaks everything up by individual show and movie and doesn't tell you how or if any are related or the order to watch, which forced me to have to look up the order separately.

You have to watch the TNG movies, DS9, and Voyager kind of together to at least see the uniforms match up, because the movies will refer to the Dominion War, and because DS9 will sometimes refer to Voyager still being in the Delta Quadrant, so I wanted our site to at least attempt to play things in the correct order without the user having to always do additional research.

As for where to go to see if there is anything you're missing or what the suggested watch order for any show is, go to Wikipedia and look up the show. There should be a sidebar on the right that lists all the episodes, OVAs, movies, and specials with airdates. The rule of thumb that I follow is to watch according to airdate order since that is what the fans in Japan should have watched everything in.

• This post is deleted!

• As for the Fairy Tail movie I believe that is because it just randomly made during a season.

Spoilers:

! In the movie they already had their old guild hall back but they didn't get it back until after the Grand Magic Games arc. But, after the GMG arc Gajeel had the powers of a shadow dragon slayer so he shouldn't had any problem fighting the shadow guy. Also, if I remember correctly, the period when it comes at during the Japanese release is in the middle of the GMG arc.

I feel like this is one thing were they will just release those things at random. Do those are just my opinions about the one that I know about.

Sophie says: Please use spoiler tags. :)