Queen's Blade Series

• Since there hasn’t been a thread constructed I have decided to take the time to make one for one of my favourite anime; Queen’s Blade. I’m going to use this opportunity to talk about the show/franchise itself, why I feel it’s a good anime, how it has gotten me into similar anime and what I’ve learned about the anime community as a result of getting into this show.

Before I get started, Queen’s Blade is one of my top favourite anime right up next to other shows like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Shiki; there is good reason for this; I really enjoyed this anime and I got a lot more out of it than just shameless fan service. I’m not here to convince others that they should like this series as well, however, I am going to talk about why I like it so much and also provide a space for those of us who enjoy Queen’s Blade to talk about it.

I liked that I learned a valuable lesson from watching this series in the first place; not to trust in the opinions of the majority. When I first went to look into this show it was because of curiosity, from all the negativity I had heard about it I expected this anime to be horrible.

Within the first 30 - 60 seconds of the first episode, I was shocked and intrigued; it was so over the top and weird that I was tempted to stop watching, but, it’s also because it was so unapologetic and over the top that I was intrigued. There is also my rule of giving a series a try by viewing at least 3 episodes , that I way I can say I tried it and was fair about it.

Something happened that I didn’t expect; I eventually finished all 24 episodes and was loving everything about this show. According to most anime experts I’m not supposed to like it, then I had a revelation; maybe these so called experts are wrong, perhaps they’re not the experts they make themselves out to be. Perhaps there’s something that’s inhibiting their judgement, or maybe they’re being harder on this series because of the ecchi content. Either way, I was given a false conclusion and I realized that in order to gain a clearer perception on a series, I need to formulate my own opinion by watching the anime myself.

I found Queen’s Blade definitely had an extensive amount of sensual and erotic content and how unapologetic about it was. To be honest, it is one thing I admire about this series, it does present all the fan service as a take or it leave it mentality, but more importantly, I liked how the fan service was executed; it was more innovative and crafty than other shows I had seen before. There was no male protagonist to walk in on the girls while they bathed, no token pervert that would stop at nothing to get near the female characters; it was just neat , imaginative little situations that were thrown in.

As much as I did enjoy the fan service, it was only a small aspect of my enjoyment; it was the icing on the cake. What made this series so good for me was that it had a well written, relatable, dynamic cast of characters. It had a good story, not necessarily a complex story, but a more straight forward linear story to act as a vehicle to have the characters interact. There were actual themes on this, predominantly the loss of innocence theme with many of the characters, and no, not because of the fan service, but because of what they go through as characters on this story. That’s what made this so good to watch; many of the characters actually underwent some sort of change, obviously Leina, the protagonist went through the biggest change, but another that stood out was Airi; I didn’t think they would take that direction for her character, it was unpredictable, but was still tangible.

The animation and backgrounds were gorgeous despite the type of anime this is, on a critical note, it could’ve been nice if a few of the fight scenes could’ve been a little more kinetic in terms of action; otherwise I was very pleased with everything. The character designs were also amazing and varied with the result is aesthetically pleasing.

I found the same results when I watched the 6 episode OVA that followed the first two seasons; I was very pleased with them, and more so that there was more floor space given to the supporting characters in the form of their own episodes. So more character development, themes; one in particular were you could almost compare on character’s situation with that of being in an abusive relationship. She has a living weapon that is quite repulsive and it pretty much abuses her and two other characters tell her to abandon this weapon and look to herself for strength. In the end, she doesn’t get rid of the weapon, but at the end, the two characters who tried to persuade her to ditch it pretty say that she’s going to continue being a slave to her weapon and that it’s impossible to help those who don’t want to be helped. It’s interesting because a person wouldn’t think to get this sort of depth from this type of anime whether it’s the situation I just spoke of, or the loss of innocence theme from the first two seasons from anime.

Of course I found more of the same with Queen’s Blade Rebellion but there were some differences; while there was still plenty of ecchi content, it was skimmed down in comparison to the first two seasons, the action was more intricate, there were also other themes at play in this series many of which resolved around conflicts with religion. First there was individuality vs. religion with a scene when Annelotte goes to a confessional booth with Sigui the holy inquisitor on the other side. Sigui presumes to tell Annelotte to put her faith in god, that everything will be taken care of to which Annelotte answers along the lines of basically you don’t want me thinking for myself. Of course, after that a battle with plenty of action and fan service.

There was also the science vs. religion with Ymir and Sigui; both are under the service of the new Queen, but the two don’t get along, one being a holy inquisitor and high priestess and the other is an engineer/alchemist/scientist. It’s interesting because some of the frames where they’re just standing next to each other, they look like conflicting ideologies even on the superficial level.

I also liked on the Queen’s Blade Rebellion that they focused more on the society and setting in this time; it’s a Matriarchy they live in, the new Queen has made it into a left wing dictatorship by sending her armies out to pillage many of the wealthy nobles and redistribute that wealth across the land.

What I mention here is just a little bit of why I like this series so much, despite the fan service, I like that the female characters are portrayed as strong, competent and independent; they have their own goals and agendas and it’s not about trying to attract some random guy.

Unfortunately, despite all the positives about this series, even now there are articles written about it to drag it through the mud; on Anime News Network to find a disparaging article about one of my favourite shows. I’m not going to mention the name of the writer, but let’s just say he has a fitting name because he is in fact a Tool. This is where I’m going to derail a little and rant.

There’s a difference between expressing an opinion, being spiteful and going out of one’s way to run an anime into the ground so bad they are attempting to convince fans of it to either stop being fans of it, to be ashamed of watching it or to still like it but admit that it is bad.

I have news for anyone reading this; I’m never going to admit that Queen’s Blade, or High School DxD or Samurai Girls for that matter are bad anime for one simple reason; I don’t waste my time with bad anime, if I find a show disjointed, poorly presented, incoherent or just plain boring I abandon it. Why would I waste my time watching an anime I consider bad? I might watch some mediocre, decent or good anime like Demon King Daimao or Wanna be the Strongest in the World.

I just don’t buy into this whole “guilty pleasure” idea; such an idea would assume that I feel guilt or shame for liking a show that I do; and to be perfectly honest, nobody should feel guilt or shame for liking the shows they do. To reiterate, the idea of people trying to tell others it’s okay to like and be entertained by anything they want, but trying to get them to admit it’s bad to me is plain shameful and in absolutely poor taste.

So, getting away from the rant like tone, and if I were to go further I would derail this thread so badly that the main focus; Queen’s Blade would become secondary. With that said, like any great anime, I can never decide on one favourite character, so some of my favourite characters on Queen’s Blade would be Tomoe, who’s my top favourite character. Leina, because I was able to relate to her as a character, Echidna because she’s sassy, but also very powerful as a character then of course I liked Melona, Airi and Menace.

On Queen’s Blade Rebellion, some of my top favourites are Captain Liliana, Annelotte and Luna Luna with honourable mentions going to Sigui, Branwen and Aldra.

So a quick guide to the series; there’s Queen’s Blade, which is 24 episodes and each set of 12 episodes has 6 OVAs which aren’t very good mind you and they are required viewing. There is a 6 episode OVA series called Queen’s Blade Beautiful Fighters, it has some great episodes on it, I surely hope Funimation, or Sentai get it, dub it and realise it on BD. Then there’s Queen’s Blade Rebellion, it’s 12 episodes with new characters, I’m not sure if there’s another 12 or an OVA in the works, I don’t know how well it did, all I can say is wait and see what happens.

Lastly, I haven’t gotten to watch any of these Vanquished Queens episodes, nor do I know what is being planned in the future for this series. However, of people hear anything, feel free to share it here and post a link.

• I usually like over the top fanservice shows, but this franchise wasn't really my thing. I did watch the first two series before I called it quits though.

This show, Eiken, and Qwaser no Stigma taught me there can be such a thing as too much fanservice.

• @Kruszer:

I usually like over the top fanservice shows, but this franchise wasn't really my thing. I did watch the first two series before I called it quits though.

This show, Eiken, and Qwaser no Stigma taught me there can be such a thing as too much fanservice.

I really don't Queen's Blade is a bad as those other two, but Rebellion lacks the punch that the first two seasons had.

• I have to say I would watch another season if they made one Rebellion end with a cliffhanger and it's OVAs just a bunch of randomness. I'd like to see the old cast fight against the new

• @SS5ant:

I have to say I would watch another season if they made one Rebellion end with a cliffhanger and it's OVAs just a bunch of randomness. I'd like to see the old cast fight against the new

Well, I know the special OVA's took place between the original series and Rebellion and was meant to bridge the gap and give supporting characters some floor space.

It would be nice if there is another 12 episodes, or even a special OVA for after Rebellion. From what I hear, the Vanquished Queens series is its own story and has nothing to do with the original series or Rebellion.

I have skimmed over some of it on a video player so my opinion is incomplete at best, and shouldn't be read into too much, all I can say is while the action sequences are mind blowingly amazing, the fan service content does cross a certain line for me because it's the torture fetish, but like I said, I have to sit down and actually watch it if I can find it again.

• I don't mind fanservice shows that are "good" but I really don't care for "ninja" shows (especially when they're in a Medieval Europe-esque setting), that is shows where the characters have Naruto-like superpowers with no explanation given as to why they have them. I'm experimenting with Rebellion now, but it is something of a chore for me when I see people leaping higher than Superman in fights…especially when one of the people doing it has a ball-and-chain shackle hooked to her leg; what does that even do lol?

Some of my anime bros swear by this series but I'm not sure if it is for me. But I'm willing to give it a shot. I do think that I might be doing a disservice by streaming it from TAN instead of bluraying it; Neither NA anime streaming site approaches BD quality.

• @sidereal - I think you can watch all of it on Crunchyroll if you're interested; I will tell you though, this series does a good job of explaining how the ninja characters end up in a Europe based setting. As for the super powers, they don't really have any, or if they do, a lot of it is implied as to how they got them or developed them. With the high leaps; isn't that in every anime?

Oh the girl with the ball and chain, that's Branwen; doesn't that goblin jerk look like Danny Devito?

• Wow! I just watched seasons 1 and 2! I couldn't stop watching. The story very compelling, and even though the ending was clear near the midpoint of the first season, I still had to watch it all. Strange though? Every time I completed an episode I had an irrational craving for a tall glass of milk? Can't quite figure that out!

• Nanael indirectly teaching viewers not to waste milk

• @dmguaragno - I hope you didn't get too attached to any of those character in the first 2 seasons

• @SS5ant:

@dmguaragno - I hope you didn't get too attached to any of those character in the first 2 seasons

I don't think that I've ever been aroused by 2d girls. That being said, the artist did a fantastic job in this series. Other than the priestess and the weapons smiths unrealistically large boobs, the characters proportions were quite pleasing. Of all, I'd have to say that the Egyptian temptress was the most attractive, but what is the deal with her stance during the final credits. It looks like she needs to go poop!

• @dmguaragno - I’m glad to hear you liked Queen’s Blade; I’ve already talked a great deal about it so there’s no point in repeating myself. I agree that Melpha and Cattleya were pretty over the top with their character designs; however, the design of rest of the cast is quite phenomenal. I like that they have muscle on them; like they actually spend a great deal of time wielding melee weapons. On the topic of the character design, while the first series (seasons 1 & 2) have a unique mix of characters with different color schemes, and managed to make it work; Queen’s Blade Rebellion takes it a little further with character designs that differ even more. It almost looks like the characters all came from separate anime series, but when they’re on screen together they complement each other very well.

As for those end titles on the second season, I agree that Menace, the Egyptian Princess has a pretty messed up walk; I really don’t know what they were thinking when they animated her walk considering the fact that they did a great job with the Melona end title animation and as for Airi, well, she’s flying around so it doesn’t matter. Regardless of the end animations, that closing song is great; you can’t go wrong with some swing jazz, the groove of that bass line; overall, it almost has a sort of vintage burlesque vibe to it.

As for Nanael, well, you fans may want to check out Queen’s Blade: Beautiful Fighters episode 5; she becomes evil, or I guess she’s technically called “Fallen Angel Nanael.” Even Melona and Airi can’t deal with her.

"I may be bad; but I feel good."

"I'm all evil now Davy, I'm all evil."

• I looooove Queen's Blade. It's one of my favorite animes ever! :3

I really liked how they delved into each characters backstory, even if for just a moment, it really gave you a stance of where everyone is coming from and why they do what they do, but also keeps a mystique amongst some that is rather appealing, yet annoying because you want to know more…ie Echidna (500 years, long time, has to have tons of stories), and the Swamp Witch...

I must admit, I liked Echidna the most. I haven't seen Rebellion yet, but plan to later this week or next weekend do a marathon. I bought the Blu Rays of the original Queen's Blade after seeing about 5 episodes on Netflix a while back. Great purchase, will more than likely buy Rebellion as well. Speaking of purchasing, I saw the anime I mention below at this wonderful site, and am glad to report, I will be buying it.

Have you seen Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero yet? It's great, and it's brought to us by the people behind Queen's Blade, and spoiler, spoiler, spoiler there is a scene in an episode where it shows Queen's Blade Rebellion on tv which made me laugh pretty good.

• Today is the last day of RightStuf's sale on the BD ($28) & DVD($24) of Queen's Blade: Rebellion.

I'm tempted to pick it up but…

I've seen the first 2 episodes of the dub of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (since Funi won't post the rest until tomorrow). I enjoyed it, it seems like the show that I should have bought instead of We Without Wings but I didn't know that at the time.

• So. I just found out Jesse Nowack is in the latest Queens Blade dub. For those who don't know Ms Nowack is well known for her work on various abridged videos and is the "official" fandom voice for Vinyl Scratch in a lot of MLP fan projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE

But yea. Glad to see her get some official work! Hope we see more of her in anime & toons in the future.

• @Kymaera:

I looooove Queen's Blade. It's one of my favorite animes ever! :3

Same here, I found it to be quite remarkable even when I first went into it expecting to dislike it and now both Queen's Blade and Queen's Blade Rebellion are among my favorites; sometimes shows have that ability to surprise. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it.

@Kymaera:

I really liked how they delved into each characters backstory, even if for just a moment, it really gave you a stance of where everyone is coming from and why they do what they do, but also keeps a mystique amongst some that is rather appealing, yet annoying because you want to know more…ie Echidna (500 years, long time, has to have tons of stories), and the Swamp Witch...

I liked that the characters were very well developed, had depth and that some of them actually went through some change in the story, it did help to make things a little more unpredictable, interesting and entertaining. I also found them to be quite relatable; which is very important to me.

As far as leaving some material out when it comes to characters like Echidna and Melona it’s more about what isn’t shown as opposed to what is shown. In the case of these two characters I think it’s important to be very careful to avoid revealing too much about their characters to retain some mystique. In the case of Echidna however; they could make an entire spinoff prequel series with her as the lead character which I think would be pretty cool.

I would love for them to have the Swamp Witch in the next set of episodes; right now she’s just a mystery woman who’s only mentioned but not shown.

@Kymaera:

I must admit, I liked Echidna the most. I haven't seen Rebellion yet, but plan to later this week or next weekend do a marathon. I bought the Blu Rays of the original Queen's Blade after seeing about 5 episodes on Netflix a while back. Great purchase, will more than likely buy Rebellion as well. Speaking of purchasing, I saw the anime I mention below at this wonderful site, and am glad to report, I will be buying it.

My top favorite character on Queen’s Blade is Tomoe, but with that sass and the fact that she is probably one of the most formidable fighters on Queen’s Blade, Echidna is one of my other favorites along with Melona, Menace, Airi and Leina.

For Queen’s Blade Rebellion, Annalotte, Captain Liliana, are my top favorites while Luna Luna, and Aldra are among my other favorites.

That’s when you know a show is good; it’s tough just to pick one favorite character.

Now’s the time to get Queen’s Blade Rebellion; it’s $27.99 for the Blu-ray on Rightstuf; that’s about half the normal price, a great deal.

@Kymaera:

Have you seen Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero yet? It's great, and it's brought to us by the people behind Queen's Blade, and spoiler, spoiler, spoiler there is a scene in an episode where it shows Queen's Blade Rebellion on tv which made me laugh pretty good.

I’m not sure if you’re asking me this directly, but while I’ve only seen a few clips and read about Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, I do have it on my next Rightstuf order with Maken Ki, Wolf Children, Both Fate/Zero sets and Akira; so a solid order for the person who wants a nice basket of variety; I look forward to watching everything on that order.

As far as other works I liked from Studio ARMS; Samurai Girls is another top favorite of mine that’s worth checking out if you like Queen’s Blade. There’s also the Ikkitousen series that I enjoyed which was pretty good.

@Soundmonkey44:

So. I just found out Jesse Nowack is in the latest Queens Blade dub. For those who don't know Ms Nowack is well known for her work on various abridged videos and is the "official" fandom voice for Vinyl Scratch in a lot of MLP fan projects .

Ah yes, Jesse Nowack does the voice of Izumi the Rogue Samurai and there’s also Brittany ‘Bree’ Lauda who plays Mirim who also does a voice of Pinkie Pie on that clip; she could probably pull off an amazing Fluttershy too considering that as Mirim she sounds virtually identical to the original actor that plays Fluttershy.

• @neonwalrus:

As far as other works I liked from Studio ARMS; Samurai Girls is another top favorite of mine that’s worth checking out if you like Queen’s Blade.

It started out really good and I really liked it, but then it turned to garbage quickly in the last few episodes. I ended up not enjoying it as nearly as much as I had enjoyed it in the first half of the show, once they introduced all the implied sex scenes

• I'm 4 episodes into the second season, and so far it's been pretty enjoyable. I put the first series on hold a few months ago after watching the first three episodes and not really getting into it, then I marathoned the rest just to finish it a couple weeks ago and found it got more entertaining as it went along and introduced more characters.

The music is pretty darn good, one of my favorite things about the series. The setting is pretty cool too, and I like how there are so many different characters approaching the Queen's Blade tournament with different goals and reasons for fighting.

Echidna is probably my favorite at this point. Didn't really like her at first, but she won me over by the end of the first season. Leina's another favorite. Her determination makes her very relatable and it's nice to see a relative beginner compete with these other warriors who have much more experience, even if Echidna's training did help her improve her skills quite a bit.

• @Riles:

It started out really good and I really liked it, but then it turned to garbage quickly in the last few episodes. I ended up not enjoying it as nearly as much as I had enjoyed it in the first half of the show, once they introduced all the implied sex scenes

Too bad you didn’t like Samurai Girls overall; I enjoyed the whole thing but to each their own. It’s still a favorite of mine, especially when it comes to the more fan service type stuff, but it’s also just a favorite anime of mine in the whole of anime.

@Firefly – I’m glad you’re trying and getting some entertainment out of Queen’s Blade and yeah, the music was really well done. Echidna has some pretty awesome scenes; I loved it when Risty went to hit her with everything she had and Echidna blocked her attack with next to no effort. Of course, one of my all-time favorite parts is a little later; can’t spoil it though; it does involve Tomoe.

• neon, you wouldn't happen to know about any OVAs in between the end of season 2 and Rebellion, would you? I read somewhere, can't remember where anymore, that there's apparently some extra stuff in between them and it's sort of important stuff and I don't see anything else on Crunchyroll, which is how I'm watching it.

Echidna's just so badass and confident it's hard not to like her. Risty, I started out liking her a lot, but she's kind of faded over time. I'm really bummed that Aldra seems to have "brainwashed" her, or something to that effect (I'm still only on ep 4, so I don't know how this'll turn out). I liked her old outfit more. Though I have to say my favorite character design is Alleyne's.

• @Firefly:

neon, you wouldn't happen to know about any OVAs in between the end of season 2 and Rebellion, would you? I read somewhere, can't remember where anymore, that there's apparently some extra stuff in between them and it's sort of important stuff and I don't see anything else on Crunchyroll, which is how I'm watching it.

There is a six episode OVA series that are actual episodes; this is not to be confused with the two sets of six OVA episodes that accompany seasons one and two which are just short little side stories that are not related to the actual show, so, they can be skipped; even I didn’t watch those.

The OVA series, the one that matters, that bridges the gap between Queen’s Blade and Queen’s Blade Rebellion is called Queen’s Blade Utsukushiki Toushitachi or Queen’s Blade Beautiful Fighters; this has not been licensed by anyone yet which means you’ll have to seek out alternative ways to look into it. It’s unfortunate too because these six episodes are great and give much of the supporting cast more floor space, in other words; their own episodes which includes the one where Nanael becomes evil, Airi gets drunk on wine, Menace rebuilds her kingdom where the series actually pokes fun at itself, some development into Elina’s character and a lot more. I would love for Sentai, Funimation or even Viz to get their hands on it and get a Blu-ray edition out complete with an English Dub.

There are also two other OVA episodes that introduce some of the Rebellion Characters; Annelotte and Sigui. I’m not sure what they’re called, I believe simply calling them Queen’s Blade Rebellion Specials or OVAs will yield desirable search results. One actually has the pillaging and destruction of the Kreutz castle to which Annelotte belongs, which is done at the hands of the new Queen’s armies and the other introduces Sigui the High Inquisitor.

I hope this information proves to be useful.

@Firefly:

Echidna's just so badass and confident it's hard not to like her. Risty, I started out liking her a lot, but she's kind of faded over time. I'm really bummed that Aldra seems to have "brainwashed" her, or something to that effect (I'm still only on ep 4, so I don't know how this'll turn out). I liked her old outfit more. Though I have to say my favorite character design is Alleyne's.

Well, the cool thing story wise is that Echidna and Alleyne have a past, as for Aldra, she actually shows up in the Rebellion series and has some significant ties to the protagonist Annelotte. I still like Tomoe’s transition in the second half, but like I said, there’s a scene on there that had me applauding her; let’s just say Elina’s involved in it; and no, it’s not a yuri scene.