Lucky star & the Otakucon '14 announcement

• Last year at Otakucon it was announced that funimation had acquired the license to

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2
    Lucky Star series + OVA

Since then I haven't been able to find any further news and wanted to ask if there is a release date for any of these titles and if so whether or not they would be re-dubbed (I know funi acquired & released Cowboy Bebop but kept the original voice actors)

Does anyone know? I would appreciate any help with this

Thanks

• no release dates yet, and they will not be redubbed, as they don't require a redub

• We'll most likely see them re-released this summer if I were to venture a guess. Maybe fall. If they are giving them a BD release it will just depend on how long that process will take them and if any problems arise in product making.

• My question is, why would you want those series re-dubbed? The ones they have now are pretty much perfect. :hmm:

• The -chans are pretty awkward in English

• The only thing wrong with the Lucky Star dub, is that they didn't dub the OVA. That's it, everything else with this and Haruhi Suzumiya was handled in the best way possible. I do tend to wonder what a FUNi dub of these shows would sound like, but that's speculation for another day and another thread.

• Sorry to bump up this old thread but is there any further news on The Haruhi or Lucky Star funimation releases?

I havent been able to find any new info since my original post?

• Nothing to report.

• Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is available in it's entirety on cr last i knew. Unfortunately it is all over the place cronoligically just as it orriginally aired on broadcast. Back then thay thought airing the epiisodes out of sequence out of order would be "avant guard" as expected it fell flat with the audience

• I don't think Haruhi is any longer on CR. Hasn't been for awhile.

• @bernie1972:

Back then thay thought airing the epiisodes out of sequence out of order would be "avant guard" as expected it fell flat with the audience

That's not how I remember it. "Endless Eight" was more outrageous.

• @bernie1972:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is available in it's entirety on cr last i knew.

August 31, 2014 was the last day it was on CR. That was also the last day they had Lucky Star (along with a number of other titles).

• Well that's good, I'm sure being with funimation both series will be brought back to life a bit :D I've actually been looking to get my hands on lucky star for a while so this especially sounds promising.

• dont get your hopes up dude, its probably gonna be a while until they are gonna be released. Its already been a year and I have a feeling its gonna be even more until they are announced for home release.

• So, I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've been wondering if there is any more news or info at all on when, if ever, We might see a re-release of Haruhi and Lucky Star. It's been over a ear since Funi picked up the rights and they were taken down from Crunchyroll, and since then… nothing. No steaming here, no DVD of Blu-ray release, not even any hints of dates or explanations as to what may be happening or why. It's like the just fell into a black hole.
    i don't know, the complete lack of an mention is starting to make it feel almost like Funimation bought them JUST so the could sit on them and make sure they'd never be seen by anyone. I had held out a little hope that the Disappearance of Nagato Yuki simulcast would make for a great time to re-release Haruhi, but even that came and went with no further news.

I guess it's mostly frustrating that everbody in this industry insists on being all "hush-hush super secret", like release dates are encoding the launch codes for the US' nuclear arsenal or something similarly critical.... Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something there. That would be a pretty clever way of encrypting them...

At this point ANY information would be massively appreciated. Even a "not in this lifetime" would let me know to stop hoping.

• They're definitely still coming. These things just take longer than one might think. Just because FUNimation owns the rights to a certain series doesn't mean that they are granted permission to instantly start using it. They still have lots of legal red tape to cut through, and they still have to receive the proper materials from Kadokawa. No doubt in both cases for Haruhi and Lucky Star, FUNi would want to put them out on bluray, and sometimes Kadokawa has a tendency to be rather on the sluggish side when it comes to handing over their bluray rights.

They are definitely still in the pipeline, though. On the latest ANNCast, Justin Rojas stated that many of the previous title rescues from Sunrise would be coming out in 2016, so that's a sign that things are at least moving forward.

• Awesome news, and thanks VERY much for the update. I know it can be hard to juggle news about every single little project going on, especially for an outfit as big as Funi, but it's always great to get even scraps of information once in a while. I guess every big organization has its communications issues.

Hmm, are some anime companies known for sending over needed materials a lot faster than others? This isn't the first time I've heard about Kadokawa taking a while to deliver masters or the like.

Great to hear about a potential Blu-Ray release. I suppose that would certainly make it worth the wait.

Anyways, very much appreciate the reply, thanks again. I still very much love Funimation, I just really wish that the whole industry didn't have to be so convoluted and complicated. Come on, everybody, just get along, make nice things, and let us give you money to see them.

• This post is deleted!