Playstation 3 App Suggestions

• I was directed on twitter to post here for some suggestions for the app, and so with that, I hope what I post gets read and seriously considered. Overall, the app worked for the most part, but I think there's some HUGE quality of life features that will make the app a lot more pleasant for people, the major two being

1. If the video needs to buffer/load, have it automatically pause the stream.

Nothing was more annoying to have a little bit of stuttering and then having to backtrack a little because the video and audio actually kept on going while the buffering happened.

1. Please provide a queue system.

It's a major hassle always remembering what time and where to go in places to get to your show. A queue system where you can simply look at what shows you have favorited, and watch from there is an incredibly nice feature.

1. Consider adding rewind/fast forward to button presses.

Currently these commands use the left stick, and while it's not a huge deal, it felt incredibly un-intiuitive.

• Suggestion 1) I can live with or without it. This is better than a competing site (In which I will not mention, I also maintain a subscription to the competing site). On a competing site it does pause to the point in which I would need to restart the whole episode. Not fun either.

Suggestion 2) Yes we need a queue system like you have on PC. For a TV series 24 episodes long, I can't remember where I left off for a TV series. Other times, I forget the TV series all together and come back to it again much later when I locate it in the Browse All listing.

I know there is an updated section, but that would list the series I was just looking at even by reading the description only. Allow me to flag or create a queue, Please.

1. You really want this? It was intuitive to me. Of course I was using a PS3 accessory, the square remote that actually looks like a remote controller. It is a Media/Blu-Ray Disc Remote control. I had no problem.

If you are talking about the standard sixaxis/dualshock 3 controller, yes the stick works. For that I usually use the directional buttons on the left of the controller. For me that works better than the stick.

• I would really like the app for PS3 to be a bit more stable in general. Playback is constantly buffering and stuttering for me, sometimes every 5-10 seconds for an entire episode (or until we get sick of not being able to watch and just turn it off). Then the app will just crash and stop working. We watch CR, Youtube, Netflix on the same system with little to no problems. The fact that this app has no other convenient functions like history and a queue system makes it even less likeable at this point on my end.

• I would like to see the regular remote functions to work and not have to use the PS3 controller

• One feature I'd like to see on the Playstation 3 App is an option to set a preference for subtitled versus dubbed anime. I prefer watching subtitled anime, but because the app defaults to the dubbed version when both are available, it's an extra step I have to take. If the option to search is added with a filter for subtitled anime comes up, that would not be an ideal solution, because that would filter out series that are only available as a dub.

1. I've seen that happen as well. I suppose it's technically a bug. I've found, though, that when it does this that the scene doesn't move too far ahead. Like the characters are still saying the current subtitle, so all I miss is a tiny bit of action. I understand that this is not always the case. Anyway, I can report it to the developer to see if anything can be done.

2. Done. Please update to version 2.0

3. This has been suggested in support tickets as well, so we are definitely looking into more controller shortcuts.

@jasontaclas:

One feature I'd like to see on the Playstation 3 App is an option to set a preference for subtitled versus dubbed anime. I prefer watching subtitled anime, but because the app defaults to the dubbed version when both are available, it's an extra step I have to take. If the option to search is added with a filter for subtitled anime comes up, that would not be an ideal solution, because that would filter out series that are only available as a dub.

Version 2 of the app kind of solves this. I'm in the same boat as you. I prefer subs and have an All-AccessPass.

First of all, Search has no filters, so it looks like you got your wish. ^_^ Only show titles, video titles, and genres are indexed. Language will not be an issue. Also, most shows have subs. It's actually dubs that aren't on every show, Plus, we have very few shows that are only dubbed.

Secondly, the app will remember your last menu selection. Most of the time, you'll be on Subtitled once you've selected it on one Show. I've been watching a lot of stuff that has both languages lately, and it's not been too much of a problem. However, if it's still annoying, please do submit a ticket at www.funimation.com/support and choose "Technical - PlayStation App" as the reason for contact. I'm the Support Tech for the PlayStation apps, so I can talk with you about specifics there. We want to make sure that the apps are an amazing experience.

• I love the PS3 app! I got tired of waiting for one to be released when I first subscribed about a year ago, so I finally broke down and bought a Roku 6 months ago. The Roku works great overall, but its queue is almost useless since it has no resume playback feature, so since the PS3 app launched I've been using it almost exclusively. It's thrilling not having to rely on the gaming rig in my bedroom to get my anime fix, so thank you for this wonderful app!

The only improvement I can think of, and it's a very minor one TBH, would be to add the capability to give star ratings like the website player. Granted it's not a big deal to login once a week to batch rate episodes using the profile's history tab, but I doubt many people would bother with this. So why not give viewers the option to rate a show after the credits roll (example: Vudu)?