Viewing Order?

• I am confused. What I should watch first, A certain magical index or a certain scientific railgun? Is there a proper way to watch the series ?

Thanks in advance!

• Index is the main timeline. Railgun is a side story focusing on Mikoto. most of the first season of railgun happens before index begins and ends right before the sisters arc in Index (third arc starting at ep 10) begins. Railgun season 2 starts right after Railgun season 1 and most of it is a retelling of the sister's arc you see in season 1 of Index, but with more focus on Mikoto and what she did before Touma got involved. the rest of Railgun 2 is a filler story.

• So you are saying watch both index seasons first?

• In terms of broadcast dates, the order goes like: Index I -> Railgun I -> Index II -> Railgun II

In terms of story order, it goes: Railgun I -> Index I AND Railgun II -> Index II

In order to maximize coherence it's probably best to watch it in the broadcast order, but the only important suggestion I have is to watch Railgun II sometime after Index I since the one of the arcs overlap in both shows

• Thanks Riles.

I am going to watch it in broadcast order. Index season one is in the mail as I type this.

• @Riles:

In terms of broadcast dates, the order goes like: Index I -> Railgun I -> Index II -> Railgun II

In terms of story order, it goes: Railgun I -> Index I AND Railgun II -> Index II

In order to maximize coherence it's probably best to watch it in the broadcast order, but the only important suggestion I have is to watch Railgun II sometime after Index I since the one of the arcs overlap in both shows

I agree. I watched Index S1 before we got Railgun (found out about RG from Index) with my kids and it seemed to show much more of Mikotos story than S1 of Railgun. When we watched S1 of Railgun you could see the overlaps but I expected more (We saw no mention of Mikoto's "Sisters" in S1 of RG. I guess that's in S2). We are waiting for S2 Complete packs of Index and RG to come out till we get them but thanks for the info on the continuity we were a bit confused because we thought RG was the Main line.

Torrin I would watch: RG I then RG 2 then Index I then Index II for story continuity (I can only say about the S1's am taking Riles word on the 2's). But RG1&2 happens within Index 1, so you could watch part of Index 1 then switch to RG2 but am not sure which episode of Index 1 is the break point.

• I'm sorry for bringing this back up I'm fairly new to funimation site but thank you for this thread; I had watched five episodes or maybe less of Railgun about a year ago and kind of forgot about it until I watched A Certain Magical Index 1. So it was a surprise to see Mikoto as a character and it had me wondering about the same question in this thread. So it sounds like it would be best to go back too Railgun 1 than 2 before watching Index 2? What are the time frame for the movies?

• ^ There's only one movie so far, and it takes place somewhere between episodes 7 and 13 of Index II. You'll notice this because a certain character gets injured in episode 7 and is shown still recovering in the movie.

• @SpacemanHardy:

^ There's only one movie so far, and it takes place somewhere between episodes 7 and 13 of Index II. You'll notice this because a certain character gets injured in episode 7 and is shown still recovering in the movie.

Oh wow thank you for the info that would have been a major spoiler, saw that A Certain Magical Index had the movie but wasn't certain about Railgun.

• According to the Index Wikia, the movie takes place between episodes 7 and 8 of Index 2

http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Timeline#Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index_Movie