Releasing Dubs Every Week Instead of Every Few Months?

• Hi fellow Fairy Tail fans. I apologize if a thread asking this question already exists, but has anyone heard of consideration of releasing a new dubbed episode every week or so (similar to how Neon Alley releases some of its dubbed episodes) rather than releasing a bunch every couple months? I think this release plan would be more convenient for fans, so they don't have to experience dry-spell of new episodes between releases. Would releasing one episode every week match the amount of content currently released every couple months?

• I believe that's the broadcast dub format that Funimation debuted with 2 titles during the fall season. They're testing that format to see if it works. If they get the numbers they want for the current titles, then they might expand their licensing to include popular titles like Fairy Tail. I feel that licensing contracts currently preclude them from using that format currently with Fairy Tail.

• I think the release schedule for things like Fairy Tail are closer than an 11 weeks difference, which would mean if they released weekly dubs, the online dub would be pretty far behind the physical release. Then, when there are points of long dry spells, there would probably be a hiatus of weekly dubs while they were being prepared

Unless Funimation makes a more uniform physical release schedule, I think a weekly digital release would be cumbersome (unless they're willing to put their physical releases on hold so the weekly dubs can catch up)

• Oh, I see. Fairy Tail is not a simulcast property. They get the finished product at the end of the Japanese season and release it for streaming in chunks until they're ready to release the DVD or BD. I haven't caught up with this show (and I may never get there, there are so many episodes!), so I'm unfamiliar with the distribution of it. Apologies for the misinformation!

• Nah, it's a simulcast show. It's just that for Funimation to release a weekly dub like the way Neon Alley does it (for shows like Naruto), they'd probably have to significantly delay the physical releases of Fairy Tail since the physical releases release faster than a weekly dub could keep up

That said, they've done a similar thing before with Attack on Titan (weekly dubs releasing up to the physical release), so releasing Fairy Tail 2014 in the same manner isn't inconceivable

• Huh… I thought they staggered the streaming dubs for AoT because Toonami had negotiated broadcast rights, so Funi couldn't release an episode til after it aired on Toonami.

• @paige62182:

Huh… I thought they staggered the streaming dubs for AoT because Toonami had negotiated broadcast rights, so Funi couldn't release an episode til after it aired on Toonami.

That is correct AFAIK, and also why the BD/DVDs came out before Funi had finished uploading all the dub episodes on the site. I stopped watching it on Toonami after episode 6/7 because I got my copy of part 1. Similarly, I also got part 2 before Toonami's run was over.

• Thanks for your replies! So Funimation's release schedule of Fairy Tail (streaming and/or physical) is not currently uniform? I tried browsing the site to find how many streaming episodes were released a week on average, but I haven't been able to deduce that yet. I could just choose to watch one a week if I knew there was a steady stream of new episodes released in time.

• I think they were releasing each part every two moths for a period of time. part 15 broke that cycle since its coming out in march instead of Feb. dubbed episodes get uploaded two weeks before the release date, so episodes 165-175 will be uploaded on Feb 24th

• All things considered, I do hope that's the case. I'm going through Celestial Spirit, Re-quip, Dragon, and Ice Make withdraws and I've re watched more than I can handle and my fill ins are falling out and the number of newer shows that are interesting enough to keep me into them are dwindling fast.

• @Firefly:

That is correct AFAIK, and also why the BD/DVDs came out before Funi had finished uploading all the dub episodes on the site. I stopped watching it on Toonami after episode 6/7 because I got my copy of part 1. Similarly, I also got part 2 before Toonami's run was over.

your half correct its also because some of the voice actors for the English dubs don't work directly for Funimation such as Michel Jones from Rooster Teeth who does the voice of Sting, Funimation probable looks to get extra voice over actors from out side there company so that there are more voices to chose from when picking who will voice what character.