The Truth Shall Set You Free! Sub vs. Dub

• I am asking anyone that posts to please leave your pride out of this. I will say first and foremost that I am very new to anime. Last week I had a discussion with some close friends regarding anime that was Dubbed vs. Subbed. I would like to know exactly how you guys feel about the difference. I personally have feel that I like Dubbed more… currently. Perhaps this is due to not having years of exposure to the art of anime (which was pointed out by my friends). I simply enjoy having the entirety of my focus on the visual art, as opposed to only a percentage of it while reading text, or checking to make sure that I didn't miss text. I was the only one at the table that preferred Dub. Though I feel that some of what was presented to me was out of pride, instead of pure honesty. I do not speak Japanese, but I do read at a very high level of speed (I assure you reading comprehension isn't the issue). Others pointed out that english voice actors are repeated over several different series and it is somewhat obstructive. Though I have not found this to in any way bother me personally. I just wanted to hear from you guys what you truly felt about the difference. I do not wish to incite an argument, just a place to submit an observation. No judgments, just the truth. Much Love, and Godspeed.

• For me it's dub. When i first got into anime i watch both sub & dub, but over time i actually grown to like dubs a lot more then subs
    @sidharthia:

Others pointed out that english voice actors are repeated over several different series and it is somewhat obstructive.

Japanese voice actors do that too, Yuki Kaji is the voice for Eren Yeager & Issei Hyodo. Also Yuki Kaji, voice over 20 different characters in 2014. So, ya that happens all the time in japan too, it's just most sub fan don't know it's same voice actor, because it's in a foreign language.

• I prefer dubs because my eye is drawn to text. I will pay more attention to the subtitles than I will what's going on on-screen. I have the same problem with manga, but I can take my time there, and go back and look at the pretty pictures. Also, I really love a lot of Funimation's voice actors.

• Japanese casts re-use the same actors frequently as well, it's definitely not a dubs-only problem.

I tend to watch more subs because I really like the language and the actors, plus most of the shows I watch are simulcasts which means no dub exists, and I while do prefer subs over dubs I have few problems watching dubs. Honestly, I barely even notice subtitles anymore since it's been so long since I started watching subbed media.

• I like dubs better because the scripts are usually more imaginative and varied over Japanese repetition and brevity

I usually don't buy into the argument that the Japanese VAs always put a lot more emotion into their dialogue, especially when a common complaint of enthusiastic English VAs like Papenbrook is that they try too hard

• I prefer dubs. My main point is that with subtitles, while I can still focus somewhat on the art, I mainly focus on the text on the bottom of the screen. I don't have a problem with reading subtitles for some shows (Pet Girl of Sakurasou was released by Sentai with no dub), but not having to focus on text on the bottom of the screen but instead the art style is much more pleasurable.

Of course, if a dub is awful I'll stick with the Japanese, but if a dub is average or better, I'll go for that.

• For the most part, subs. I just have more favorite seiyuu than I have English voice actors. I usually only watch dubs if it's an anime comedy, like B Gata H Kei. That's my favorite to listen in English.

• Whenever this topic pops up (and believe me, it pops up a LOT across the various anime forums), I like to point out this article from ANN. Granted, it was written over 11 years ago, so some of it might come across as dated, but I think most of the points that it makes are still quite valid.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dub-track/2003-04-29

tl;dr version: For the most part, the whole "subs vs. dubs" debate is purely subjective. Watch whatever version you prefer, and if anyone tells you you're wrong, tell them to stuff it. :)

! Unless they're talking about Cowboy Bebop dub, because everyone knows that one is infinitely better than the sub. ~_^

• Dubs only for me , i watch an anime to WATCH THE ANIME . If i wanted to read i would get a book.

• Dubs for me, i will watch subs on rare occasions mostly if its the only option for something i really want to see or on rarer occasions when I can't put up with the dub (deathnote is the only major one i can think of, couldn't put up with Lights dub)

Thanks for that article Hardy, it expressed most of the views and opinions i have had as well especially the one about the Japanese being better actors and unless your fluent in the language you don't have a clue

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dub-track/2003-04-29

Thank you so much for linking this article spacemanhardy! I loved reading it. I am sure that this question comes up a lot, and I am sure I will see it more in the future as I continue gaining experience with the art of anime. I will make sure to spread this link as I see it, and give you the credit you deserve for finding it for all of us. Much Love. Sid.

• Subs only, I just find myself enjoying the anime more.

It all comes down to what form you enjoy more, anime is entertainment after all.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Whenever this topic pops up (and believe me, it pops up a LOT across the various anime forums)

It's like a rite of passage for newbies.

• This post is deleted!

• @tattooedangel:

Dubs only for me , i watch an anime to WATCH THE ANIME . If i wanted to read i would get a book.

I second thee. No disrespect to the sub-lovers.

• I prefer dubs.
    But I can still stand subs.
    So long as I know…
    My love for anime will grow.

• I prefer dubs over subs, some anime I can do both, like Fullmetal Alchemist, but I prefer dubs because I can focus on the visuals and enjoy the story too, if I'm not impressed by the dubs I'll recommend subbed, the only subbed version I actually thought was better than the dub was Madoka Magica, and I didn't really like GITS: Arise or Psycho-Pass dubbed, Psycho-Pass had to grow on me, I do like the dub, but it didn't make me go "Wow!" Spice and Wolf was great in both languages too!

• (late to the discussion, but I'll throw in my two cents)

Gah… we've been debating this since the days when "Sailor moon" was on the Toonami block. When movies like "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell" were a big deal.

I used to be a purist, in the by-gone era when a "good dub" was a hard thing to come by. There was no such thing as a "good dub" until "Cowboy Bebop" and "Trigun." Perhaps "Outlaw Star," or "Yuyu Hakusho" (it's been a long time). Then there was DBZ, and you could always depend on that (but that's because Christopher Sabat).

But one did tire of how anime would be altered to appeal to a western audience, the Americanization of Japanese media, disregard for cultural context, and resulting in some very forced alterations to script and plot that felt awkward and at times downright infuriating. So for the longest time I equated "dub" with "censorship." Because let's face it, a lot of dubs did censor, and in many cases the animation to some shows would be cut or altered.

But the industry is a lot different than it was fifteen years ago. There is a value in retaining the intention of the original creators. There is less pressure for censorship. There is a passion of many script writers, ADR directors and voice actors to carry an essence of the original into the translation. Their efforts show, and I'm impressed.

If someone at a con asks me, "dubbed or subbed" I say both. I watch a lot of anime subbed as it is being premiered in Japan. Some shows I've really enjoyed watching this year in Japanese are "Barakamon" and "Kill la Kill." There is so much embedded in the language that would be extremely difficult to translate. And the voice acting in such shows is so impressive that I don't think a dub could do it justice (Kill la Kill is licensed by Aniplex and every time they license a show I love a little piece of me dies inside).

But then there are shows where I need a dub. "Attack on Titan" was one such show, where I had difficulty relating to so many of the characters, where as soon as I felt familiar with them they'd... get killed (you know how it goes). For that particular series, the language barrier made it difficult to feel the weight of the loss (despite the visuals giving the gruesome situations brutal impact). This is especially true for a series that is more plot-based rather than character-based. But Funi brought their best and delivered. Kudos.

No seriously I won't hear criticisms about the AoT dub (don't fight me, I'll win).

Some shows I'll watch dubbed out of principle. You really don't want to watch "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo" in Japanese because the visuals are trippy enough without having to read subtitles. Either in English or Japanese, both have their merits. I watched "RomeoxJuliet" dubbed because why would I want to watch something based on a Shakespearean play in Japanese? Because English? And the dub for "Steins;gate" was far more enjoyable for me than watching in Japanese because.... if you haven't seen this series you're really missing out. And I really can't express why I love that show without devolving into a raging fangirl. So I'll spare you.

If it's a question of retaining cultural context and intention of the original creators, I can see an argument. If it's a question of talent of ADR staff, I think the arguments are invalid.

• @eglentyne:

And the dub for "Steins;gate" was far more enjoyable for me than watching in Japanese because…. if you haven't seen this series you're really missing out. And I really can't express why I love that show without devolving into a raging fangirl. So I'll spare you.

Please, move this to the appropriate forum and cut loose. I really need someone I can fangirl about this show with.

• I prefer both honestly. But with dubs its easier to watch what is going on on screen and I see things I missed when watching subbed. Only time I frown upon dubs is if they are heavily censored and the script is changed dramatically from the original Japanese. The Cardcaptor Sakura dub made me cringe I guess that was because I watched the Japanese version first.

• I generally try the dub before the sub, if the dub seems to be good I go with it until I feel like it doesn't do the content justice, unless it's been highly suggested by one of the reviewers I trust to go straight to the sub.

I understand some people liking subs more than dubs, but I generally feel like those who say dubs are always worse are having a psychosomatic reasoning through not actually understanding the words themselves, so they fill them in with their imaginations (Think of the difference between reading a book and watching a movie). It's just a feeling I have from having conversations with people, and I definitely don't believe this applies to all that prefer sub over dub.