Looking for recommendations… I am a new lover of anime.

• Hello everyone,
    I started watching anime about 3-4 months ago when my very close friend loaned me a copy of the Cowboy Bebop Series that he had for a while. Since then I have been absolutely in love with anime. I am glad that I was introduced when I was, I don't think I would have appreciated it very much in my early teens (when he first started watching). I love great story telling, compelling mature plot lines, and have trouble following if the artistry is lacking. My absolute favorite so far is "Terror in Resonance". I also enjoy Black Butler, Steins Gate, Bebop, Attack on Titan, Deathnote, the first 3/4 of Sword Art Online, and have only watched a little bit of Fate/Zero. I feel like I am still getting educated on some of the highly rated and critically acclaimed anime, and am now ready to branch out into some other series. I am planning on watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood next. I was hoping that some of you might have some other recommendations for me. Again so far I am loving anything that has a great story, dialog, and that is compelling and intellectual. Other than that I haven't really narrowed my horizon, I am just enjoying the journey. Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this. Much Love.

• Hi there, Sid. Welcome to the forums.

If you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, I would definitely recommend other shows from Shinichiro Watanabe, the director. You've already watched Terror in Resonance, but there's also Samurai Champloo, Kid's on the Slope, Macross Plus, and most recently Space Dandy. There's also Michiko & Hatchin, which he technically didn't direct (he handled all the music in the show, though), but it's thematically very similar.

If you're looking for more space westerns like Bebop, you can try out Trigun, Outlaw Star, Gungrave, Coyote Ragtime Show, and Gun X Sword.

If you like gritty crime dramas, definitely check out Black Lagoon, Baccano!, Jormungand, and Darker Than Black (which also has music from Bebop's composer, Yoko Kanno).

Some other shows that I really recommend are Soul Eater, Mushi-Shi, Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Accel World (from the same author as SAO but about a bajillion times better).

I hope I've given you a little something to get started on. :)

• Hello, and welcome!

Either of the Fullmetal Alchemists are good choices, though to get the most from the show, emotionally, I would watch the first half of FMA before you watched FMA: B. I also recommend PsychoPass or Speed Grapher for violent, psychological thrillers. Wolf's Rain is one of my favorites for its philosophical value. Shiki is quite good, too. I second SpacemanHardy's recommendation of Darker than Black and Trigun. I also really liked Corpse Princess: Shikabane Hime.

• I agree with all the anime paige62182 and SpacemanHardy have said, some of my favs in there.

• Thank you for all of the great Ideas guys, I have to admit that I am a little surprised. I didn't expect that I would receive a response so quickly, and secondly I certainly wasn't expecting to have so many options laid out before me categorized by Director, Genre, Author, Composer, Emotional Content, and even Philosophical Value. I can tell instantly that this is a very involved community. I did plan on watching FMA: B next but now I think I am going to check out FMA first. I will watch the first half at least and play it by ear, thanks Paige62182! From there I will hit up Darker than Black, Toss in some Trigun, Mix in a pinch of Soul Eater, Badazzle with Mushi shi, and finally dial in some Ghost in Shell. I have heard of these titles from other friends as well. This list should allow me to stay busy for a while. I am grateful to you guys for helping me out and for giving me more of an insight as to why I may enjoy each selection. I can't wait to let you guys know what I think of them! … Cheers.

• Any time. Glad we could help. ^_^

• Welcome to the forums; hope that you post a lot around here.

Here are some of my recommendations: Shingu: Secret of the Stellar War, Heroic Age, Bamboo Blade, Samurai 7, School Rumble and Summer Wars.

If you are interested, don't forget to check out the link in my sig about requesting the FUNimation Channel.

• Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy it hear. It seems you have a great taste in anime.

I would like to second Jlaking's suggestion. Watch summer wars. It's great.

• Yeah welcome to the forums, anyways watch the animes that Spacemanhardy mentioned, those anime are really good. It's a really great list. Though never fear to watch animes of other genres like Slice of Life, or MOE type animes as well.

• Welcome to the forums and anime world Sid. A couple Recommendations I can give you would be, Angel Beats!, Fairy Tale, Log Horizon, Spice and Wolf and A Certain Magical Index.

• I was just about to recommend Mushi Shi! It's not very action-oriented, but it is deeply philosophical. It has the most beautiful story and artwork of any show that I have ever seen. I can't binge watch this show like I can something like AoT or FMA. It's just too deep.

Also, I watched Summer Wars for the first time last week, and it was AWESOME. I definitely recommend that one.

• Hi WeLcome! I'm pretty new to the site too but as far as a great story Claanad and Clannad after story are pretty amazing. A great story that is a tear jerker. Also, Mawaru Penguin Drum is a good story too. It isn't very known but I think you can find it on Funimation. Not sure if you like those tear jerker types but penguindrum is both tear jerker and funny

• @nobodiesghost:

Also, Mawaru Penguin Drum is a good story too. It isn't very known but I think you can find it on Funimation.

Wrong company, I'm afraid. Penguindrum is licensed by Sentai Filmworks, not FUNimation. You can still watch it on either Hulu or The Anime Network, though.