The end of G4

• On November 30th, G4 has ceased broadcasting, though a loop on the channel will continue to broadcast on AT&T U-Verse (due to contractual reasons) until the end of this year. G4's closure is pretty much a mercy kill for the channel ever since Neal Tiles took over in September 2005 and pretty much gave it a slow, drawn-out and painful death, by eliminating many of what made G4 and its predecessor TechTV awesome in the first place.

For me, I began watching G4 since early 2007 until DirecTV dropped it in 2010. It's sad to see it go, but given that whatever damage Neal Tiles had done to the channel became irreparable, it was for the better.

• Man so it's finally gone.
    It's really bittersweet, I remember watching it around 07-08 but stopped as soon as Adam left and now that Adam has said that he's 'retiring' from video game reviews I just don't know who to go for reviews. Yeah there' s Angry Joe but he's not going to review ORAS or Smash.

• When G4 stopped with content related to it audience (& the purpose of the channel), I knew its time was up. Though, I didn't expect to die a slow, painful death.

• GoodBadFlicks posted today a video covering how G4 rose and fell, and talked about how the channel had a lot of potential and how it could have saved itself if it did not suffer from horrible upper management and actually tap into the hidden potential many of their gaming and tech-related programs had, such as Arena (which would cover more games like MMO games and Online Games), Cheat (which would have included achievement guides a la Achievement Hunter), and AOTS (which would have become the internet of the TV world).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBwGOHntro

• i miss watching g4

• I don't miss it. I stopped watching G4 years ago when it decided to just show Cops, Campus Police, and all of those other non video game related shows.

• It really should have been dead ages ago. I remember watching it when I was in high school - 01-05ish. As soon as it merged into G4 from TechTV they fired a bunch of my absolute favorite people, and some shows were cancelled and others had changed names. It quickly veered from quality tech programming to just another junk channel, and I stopped watching it before it really completely turned into that. I'm glad it finally has died.

• This only became official a month ago? I thought it was dead for like two years.

• @jreezy18:

This only became official a month ago? I thought it was dead for like two years.

I thought that too, but I guess they wanted to make people suffer.

I don't see why they didn't take a chance, and tried to appeal to gamers again. Most people comment on how they liked the channel before the change, so there seemed like potential for a revival.

• @spiralofdestiny:

I thought that too, but I guess they wanted to make people suffer.

I don't see why they didn't take a chance, and tried to appeal to gamers again. Most people comment on how they liked the channel before the change, so there seemed like potential for a revival.

I thought so too but I guess with the rise of the internet the network probably felt it wasn't worth the effort reviving the kind of shows that people online also provide. I know I would've still watched shows like Icons, Cheats, Judgement Day/Electric Playground, Attack of the Show and X-Play.

• I always wondered why a channel dedicated to video games didn't try and pick up some of the old video game cartoons. They used to show anime, so why not Captain N, Sonic, or Megaman. They should have also shown a different video game movie each week.

I can't believe none of them thought of making a video game quiz show. History Channel was able to make one based on Pawn Stars, so it can't be that hard.

• Well here is a picture of the orginal G4 show hosts:

Picture of the Screensaver cast:

I first seen G4 back in 2002. I live in Glen Burnie, Maryland and I had Comcast as my first cable provider in 2000 when I first got my own apartment in Burwood Gardens. I had their basic cable and one of the channels was Tech TV it was on channel 69 (no joke). When Comcast gave me a warning that they planned to upgrade their service to fiber optic cable and have digital cable I jumped at the chance and got it.

After I got it I got the digital basic service and then I was channel surfing to see what new networks I got and then when I came apon channel 144 or 169 (I forgot which one) it had G4. I loved the no commercials that G4 had and I really loved the shows it had. I had me another channel to watch other than Syfy (then Sci-Fi Channel), Tech TV, local networks, USA Network, and others. I watched G4, Tech TV, and Syfy mostly other than my local news. After the two networks merged and then let go their hosts and get rid the shows I love to show programming that had nothing to do with tech and video games I stopped watching G4 and Tech TV. It really pissed me off.

After I got married, my wife in 2005 and we moved from Burwood Gardens to Glen Square. Burwood was serviced by Comcast exclusively, and Glen Square is serviced by Broadstripe exclusively. Broadstripe did not have G4. I was happy that I never seen G4. Now that G4 as we know it is gone, I feel sad this happened to a network I used to love. I wish that the assholes that run Comcast NBC Universal understands the people that watch their networks and listen to them which they never did. So this is my story on how I came upon G4.

• i've seen g4 before.